Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Mid-Day Monday Daily
- - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-17 10:04 AM
It's just after noon on the East Coast so > half of Monday is over :meh:

Tell us what you did/will do today...run, workout, food, drink, etc.

Bonus:  Sunrise is getting later :cry:
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-17 10:09 AM
I taught cycling class this morning & did some core & shoulder PT exercises afterwards.  Some of my "regular" riders are MIA, probably on vacation, but I had a first-time rider this morning so I spent most of the 10 minutes before class getting her set up on the bike & explaining the process.  She hung in for the entire 55 minute class so good on her!

Chicken breast sandwich & iced tea for lunch.

I have my annual cardiologist appt. early this afternoon :meh::meh::meh:

Bonus:  Two weeks ago I needed sunglasses while driving to the gym at 5:20am.  This morning I needed my headlights on the whole time :sad:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-17 11:25 AM
Do you have issues or is the cardiologist just a yearly checkup/appointment?
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-17 12:15 PM
It's just the yearly appointment.  I see a cardiologist because a stress test >8 years ago revealed a slightly leaky mitral valve (not a big deal, just needs to be watched) and a lower than average amount of blood leaving my left ventricle with each beat (low ejection fraction), another not a big deal, just needs to be watched.  An echo EKG showed "borderline" aortic dilation that hasn't changed in 3 echo EKGs since 2010 so another no big deal.  

Got the doc's blessing today - "See ya in a year".
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-17 1:07 PM
we had to replace a couple relay runners for my teams. it's hard to do at this time of year because it seems like everyone is either on vacation or attending a wedding.

hope the appointment goes smoothly.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-17 1:39 PM
We have been missing people at boxing because of vacation as well.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-17 11:24 AM
Not much in the running department this weekend. 4 mile shuffle out at French Creek yesterday. Man, the orange loop was packed with day hikers. Rest of the weekend was spent working in the garden/yard, and power lounging on the deck with tunes and strong beer.

Mulled over my MRI report this weekend. Bottom line is a tear in the medial meniscus, on-going arthritis, a bit more noticeable than last time (2011). Saw the doc today and he believes the tear is the majority of my issues at the moment, so recommends to get the knee scoped, then if needed look into Synvisc later. So that is the plan. Date is Aug 10 for the procedure, unless I can get an opening sooner. I guess no need to wait. Looking back at last year I had a couple of nasty falls and crashes on that left knee in late July, but no pain symptoms until October. So who knows on the source and what does it really matter now. I guess I was on a good roll there from 2013-2016 but that's over now, heck it's been over all year.

I will still do some short running now and then before the procedure unless things feel too awful. That's what I did back in 2011. It's not a death sentence at least at this point.

Bonus: Yeah, I have been naturally sleeping past 5am again. I tend to wake with the light.
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-17 12:18 PM
Good luck with the scoping.  Unfortunately as we age our "original parts" tend to wear out, especially if we use them a lot!  Hopefully some "maintenance" will fix you up!
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-17 12:58 PM
well that's disappointing. :sad::hug: But on the other hand, it's nice to be able to point to something and say, that's causing the trouble and it's fixable.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-17 1:40 PM
"Not a death sentence" is always a good thing.
Parent - By ironjen Date 2017-07-17 1:51 PM
Who is doing the surgery? I had the synvisc after my meniscus repair in 2012. Still going strong.
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-07-17 2:25 PM
You came back really well after the last surgery, so no reason to expect otherwise this time too.
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-17 12:56 PM Edited 2017-07-17 12:58 PM
thank goodness monday is half over. :grin::meh: I'm the usual brain dead/can't believe i have to return to a normal life after a successful weekend of relay. :hug:

I slept in and i'm eating a lot.  :roll:

We had two teams this weekend at Ragnar Northwest Passage. One regular team which I ran on and then the ultra team which i also captained until it came to running! we had 1-2 newbies in each van so that's pretty great and all had a blast. The big issue is that they did not have mini vans available. :shocker!::mutmad::shocker!::cry: the rental company subbed out two ford explorers which they consider comparable. I'm here to tell you they are not comparable for a relay. No under floor storage! But i did negotiate a good knock off on price which made a different when we returned the vans late the next day. 

I can never seem to remember that i run terribly on my first leg. it's always warmer and windier than i expect (I ran at 4 pm when heat of the day in our long PNW days peaks) and i think the anxiety just gets to me. I'm fine once Van 2 has made it to the first major van exchange (on time, phew!) but i think that just means i will never run all that well. I ended up switching with a van 2 runner who was having some hamstring issue on the last legs. Mine was shorter so i took her longer 7 mile leg. Finally on that last leg, i had a great run with some spectacular views!

I will probably run tomorrow and continue to eat all the food. :happy:

bonus: :meh:
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-17 1:42 PM
For the dozen or so years I did the Great Lakes Relay, we had to take SUVs as mini-vans had a horrible time on the "roads" we drove on most of the time.  I guess Ragnar isn't off road?
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-17 5:06 PM
ragnar does both trail and road relays. this one is a road relay.  the trail relays don't require a van as all runners stay in camp and run various loops.
Parent - - By nooner [us] Date 2017-07-17 2:24 PM
Well done captain!! It looks like everyone had a great time!
Parent - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-17 5:05 PM
it was nice to take the break last year but i'm very glad i did it again this year.  :grin:
Parent - - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-17 4:20 PM
Congrats on two well coordinated relay teams!

For the 5 years we did RtB we rented 12 or 15 passenger vans.   Best was the time they gave us two 15-passenger size vans that both had one less bench seat so there was room behind the last seat for luggage (vs. storing it on & under seats).  We had several drivers adept at maneuvering them thru the transition areas and parallel parking when required!
Parent - - By PuddleThumper Date 2017-07-17 5:05 PM
the ultra team had a 12-passenger van. it looked downright palatial compared the ford explorers! I was very glad i didn't have to drive the 12 person van.  :blush:
Parent - By Ed [us] Date 2017-07-17 5:49 PM
palatial   yep!

I owned an 8 passenger van for many years and was able to make the transition pretty easily.
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2017-07-17 1:54 PM
Today I had the "six days from a marathon" dllemma......one would think I knew this crap by now.  The fact it was humid and 80 at 6:30 meant whatever I was doing was going to suck, so I ended up with a 5 mile progressive run which started insanely slow.  Will go to boxing tonight. I usually lift after class on Monday's but will skip it tonight.  Sushi from WF for lunch.

Blather:  My personal challenge of getting the best deal on rental cars was working again today.  I have found the two best sites for deals are Costco & AARP.  This weekend's Portland car rental was just switched from an AARP deal to a Costco deal as Costco now had an option $18 cheaper.  I will continue to check every day, though I think this close to the trip, I am probably at the lowest price.  I just booked a car rental for when I go back to Michigan in another week.  I was going to pick-up and drop-off in the Detroit area  for 4 days and then con my nephew to driving me to the other side of the state where I am meeting up with my in-laws.  Oddly, I could rent a car off the airport and drop it off on the other side of the state at the Kalamazoo airport for over $100 cheaper!  I have never seen a drop-off of a rental car in a different location be less expensive.

Bonus:  This time of year in Texas, the later sunrise is a blessing.
Parent - By nooner [us] Date 2017-07-17 2:23 PM
I got in 6 miles this morning with my running partner and hope the thunderstorms hold off later so I can join the group for speedwork on the track. If that happens, I should get in another 4 miles. I trying to get the legs moving a bit faster so I don't embarrass myself at H2C in late August.

I helped set-up a meeting at lunch time and they had a ton of food left so I grabbed a plate of that.

Bonus: For right now, that is good as it gives us a few more minutes before the yellow orb of death is blasting us.
Up Topic Training / Marathons / Mid-Day Monday Daily