Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Randomness
- - By N70SAK Date 2017-07-06 9:56 AM
My cactus it blooming.:happy:
I'm starving have no cash for the vending machine.:meh:
I'm considering adopting a kitten. Amelia is no more and Eric has never been alone in 14 years.:hug:
Exam for Privilages and Limitations today.:meh:
Going to my car for more coffee.: pbbt:
Parent - - By N70SAK Date 2017-07-07 10:49 AM
87% or 52/60.   Next subject is Fluid Lines and Fittings.:happy:
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-07 11:58 AM
:cool::cool::cool:
- - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-06 10:32 AM
- our kitty was killed last weekend.  I don't want another one until we move, and I'm not sure when or to where that will be.   There's also my traveling to races; finding responsible pet care isn't easy.
- had to ask a patron at the reservoir to leash her dog when she sees someone, with or without a dog, that she doesn't know well.  Then I called my manager to tell her what I did.  (They are budzie-wudzie's)
  manager said that not only did I do the right thing, that she had on her list to talk to all the staff about the dog issue.  Turns out, there were two complaints on the 4th of July that went downtown.
- i want to run the 3100-mile race in NYC next year.  Mrs LDR said she won't be here when I get home.  I'm pretty sure I'm a'gonna miss her...
- time for a nap
Parent - - By N70SAK Date 2017-07-06 4:38 PM
Sorry about your kitty. :hug:

I'm getting better at voicing my discontent and am also finding i'm not the first to complain about something. I switched from night classes to day classes because a teacher it turns out, everyone hates. :laugh:

How long do you have to complete 3100 miles!?! :shocker!:
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-06 7:14 PM
Parent - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-07 6:46 AM
Spingoddess in marathons has done the one day self transcendence marathon quite a number of times. I've heard of this race, but it's never been on my radar.   :laugh:

Sounds like it's right up your alley though. And you get to sleep at night too? Good luck with the missus!  :happy:
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-07-07 8:42 AM
Sorry about your cat.  :sad:

3100 miles :shocker!:
Parent - - By foggydoggy [us] Date 2017-07-07 1:00 PM
I want a nap after contemplating running around and around the block for 52 days, but maybe I could do it with frequent stops for the delicious smoothies and nut loaf served at the restuarant that Sri Chinmoy started.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-07 4:57 PM
smoothies?  they serve smoothies??? :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
- - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-07-06 6:31 PM
I've been feeling "off" since I got back from Ireland last week. First few days I just figured I had to catch up on sleep and stuff. But every time I tried to run, I was quickly out of breath. Walking was ok. Yard chores, cleaning the house ok..Late last week and over the weekend I started retaining a lot of fluid. My legs and tummy were huge. I started out to attempt a run after work yesterday and turned around and listened to the voice that told me to go to a walk in. So they did an ekg and said my heart was afib. So they wanted me to go to the ER which I did. A bunch of tests, a chest x-ray, another ekg. The tests came back normal. Lungs clear. The afib within a "normal" range according to the doc. Wavered on keeping me but let me go. I've had no chest pain or dizziness etc. prescribed a diuretic for the edema and want me to follow up with a primary and then get a referral for stress test and whatever else that could reveal if I really have a heart issue. My friend who is a nurse is worried about a clot from the long flight etc. I did have a cramp in my right calf when I got back (never have cramps), but it seems to have gone away for the most part. I had a massage the day after I returned. The er doc didn't seem concerned about that. So I am confused and a little scared about what might be going on.

I felt fine in Ireland and ran over 100 miles while there. I probably felt strongest on the day we ran a 50k. It just seems very strange to have it all come on like this and some of the stuff with the medical people doesn't inspire confidence..getting different messages from the various people who saw me and the er doc mentioning congestive heart failure. So I dunno..
Parent - - By Schantzie [us] Date 2017-07-06 7:07 PM
I can understand your concern.  As runners, we push through discomfort ALL the time, so if we feel "off,"  it's unusual.  Hope you find things resolved very soon.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-06 7:16 PM
well said, Schantzie
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-06 7:18 PM
I have no idea what might be going on here, but I'm glad you're getting medical advice.  Still, it appears they don't any idea either...

Stay calm, as much as possible.  Trust your fitness.  Also, trust your intuition.  If you feel something's really wrong, keep pushing the docs.  That's all I got...that, and a lot of prayers everything works out okay :hug::hug:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-07 6:43 AM
I assume your heart is pretty strong so hopefully it is just something from all the miles and the travel. I doubt if a stress test would give any clues, seeing you are an endurance athlete. I can't remember what they did for me when I had the pericarditis episode. I should remember since I am in healthcare, some sort of cardiac scan. That might be a better option. I do remember after Superior I was also swollen and bloated but mostly in the lower legs. I had a few freak out moments from that as it took so long to subside. Anyways, thinking about you and praying that it's nothing. Glad all the tests so far have been normal. Rest up, and hope you find out soon what is happening.  :hug:
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-07-07 6:50 AM
how long were you swollen? I am trying to decide if I should run vermont next weekend. I typically do not have any swelling after long events, but with the travel, this was different..

Thanks XT.:hug:
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-07 7:21 AM
Somewhere between 1-2 weeks. But I was retaining water in my legs during the race, then had the flight home, though that was just a few hours. Too many fluids and/or salts I believe as the race was so hot. Be careful about Vermont. It does not sound like a good plan right now?
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-07-07 7:32 AM
Yeah, I am likely not going or maybe just go and volunteer since I can't can't my money back on the B&B. I have an appointment this afternoon with a nurse practitioner. I don't have a primary care doc but need to get one so I can follow up on whatever else I need to to figure out what's going on. A friend recommended a doc but I can't get in until Sept. but this NP works in his office and can have him sign off on referrals and stuff so I figured it was a way to get the ball rolling asap. I will ask about the running..
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-07 7:39 AM
That is a good plan for Vermont. Volunteering is fun... I missed being able to go to MMT this year. Obviously make sure the NP knows your running history. When I saw the cardiologist about my pericarditis he said of course, go run, keep that heart strong. It was weird the first time going out after that though. I know you don't have that, just relating to the strangeness of it all.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-07-07 7:59 AM
I haven't tried to run since Tuesday. I only got off the wait list for Vermont last week. I didn't sign up initially this year because I thought Umstead would be my WS qualifier but the torn hamstring put an end to that. All the running in Ireland was great prep for Vermont and the hills..I know the VT RD. She actually sent a note when I got in recalling how I had helped her at a race years ago and that she still remembers that.:happy:
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-07 4:59 PM
how long were you swollen?

can't believe the Beard wasn't all over this!  :laugh:
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2017-07-07 5:04 PM
He must have been lounging on his big deck.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-07 5:10 PM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-07-07 9:11 PM
:hug:
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-07-07 8:44 AM
That is scary.  Good that the tests didn't show anything, I guess.  Hopefully it is some trip-related thing that will get better naturally?
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-07-07 9:29 AM
That's what I'm hoping.
Parent - - By neustkg (Important) Date 2017-07-19 8:02 AM
Not to alarm you, but if you do go in soon, you might want to see if they can do a spiral CT chest scan.  I was having problems breathing when I was laying down (not when sitting or standing).  No pain in extremities.  I went into urgent care on a weekend and they did a spiral CT scan and found 3 pulmonary embolisms in one of my lungs (this kind of thing runs on my dad's side of the family).  I've been on Warfarin for 3.5 years (and will be on it for life due to family genetics).
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-07-19 10:32 AM
After the ER visit I had a follow up on the 7th with an NP. She was good and ordered a echo-cardiogram which I had yesterday. Waiting for the results. She put me on a blood thinner (which the ER should have done) because of the risk of a clot forming due to the afib (it was still not normal when I saw her). A week ago (a few days after I saw her) I tried a run after work and I was ok. I did not have that same sensation of needing to stop. It felt different right away. She said it was ok to exercise. I am doing it very cautiously since then and mixing in walking. I am not sure, but my pulse does still not seem right but I don't know what changed to allow me to run? Monday I felt like my heart was beating hard and I think that happened a bit Sunday too and one day last week. I am not sure if that is anxiety or my heart? I was able to run after work yesterday but got so paranoid about something happening that I ended up walking mostly. So I am finding it messing with my head where I seem to have days where I am calm and then some days where I am very worried/nervous and I convince myself that the echo will show something bad.. I guess I will know when I know.
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-19 11:55 AM
I was wondering how you were doing. Glad you checked in to give us the update. It's natural to be cautious and feel anxious in the head when something like this is going on. I remember after my pericarditis episode being in a weird state for about a week until the cardiologist told me after the echo that I was going to be fine. Praying for good news for you on the results.  :hug:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-07-19 12:07 PM
Thanks Dave. Your words help :hug:
Parent - - By neustkg (Important) Date 2017-07-19 12:50 PM
Are you still on a diuretic, and what blood thinner are you on? 

I had very high blood pressure around Christmas last year (220/about 120), so over a period of 3 months, my doctor put me on a total of three different blood pressure meds: Lisinopril, Hydrochlorothiazide (diuretic), and Amlodipine.  I was not running earlier this year until my blood pressure returned to normal, but now, I have trouble running more than say 2 miles before I have to go into a walk/run routine for the rest of my mileage.  It feels like I have nothing left in “the tank” after about 2 miles and my legs feel tired, etc.  I had a thread here asking for other people’s opinions on what drugs work best with running and it looks like at least the Hydrochlorothiazide  and Amlodipine may be the worst for running.  Diuretics are bad as they can dehydrate you, and I think the Amlodipene lowers your heart rate.  I plan on going back to my doctor in a few months and try a different blood pressure med.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-07-19 1:06 PM
Zertec is the blood thinner. Probably spelling it wrong. I am no longer retaining water so I hope to be off the diuretic soon. I asked the NP if I should keep taking it but was still a little swollen when I saw her (I had only been on it two days). She said to keep taking it for now but that was a week and a half ago. I will ask again when I talk with her when the echo results are in.

Not experiencing anything like you in terms of running. I did a pretty sustainable six mile run with very little walking on Saturday. My mind is playing all kinds of games in terms of convincing me I am going to drop dead at any moment. That's why I ended up walking yesterday. Fear.
Parent - - By sideshowbob Date 2017-07-19 3:00 PM
Don't mean to discourage you, but I've been on blood thinners (Coumadin ) and various beta blockers for some 10 years now and they all have made me very tired . I've gone from run/walk to now just walking :sad::cry:
Parent - - By neustkg (Important) Date 2017-07-20 3:04 PM
Well, when I first went on coumadin, I was able to build up some running routine (could run just over 3 miles).  Late last year before going on the BP meds, I was able to run (eventually) continuously for about 3.5 miles at a time.  (at that time I was on Coumadin, Atorvastatin, Levothyroxine, and Ranitidine) My major problem has been happening after going on the BP meds.
Parent - - By sideshowbob Date 2017-07-21 6:32 AM
Yeah--any BP pill I have taken really knocks me on my arse.
Parent - - By neustkg (Important) Date 2017-07-21 9:05 AM
I do notice an eye twitch and being more tired since starting on the BP meds.  not sure which of the 3 are causing these.
Parent - By sideshowbob Date 2017-07-21 2:01 PM
Better stop before you go blind---the Beard :wink:
Parent - By neustkg (Important) Date 2017-07-21 9:04 AM
Just realized, my BP was not 220 over 120.  More like 160 over 120.
Parent - By soundandfury (100 mile stud) Date 2017-07-19 1:02 PM
Parent - By squirrelgirl (Indian Buffet Queen) Date 2017-07-21 11:45 AM
:hug::hug: Hope you doing ok.
- - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2017-07-07 9:04 AM
Love checking my spam:

Greetings,
My name is Mrs. Dianna Smith, 72 yrs old widow. I got your contact information from a Christian website. I have decided to donate what I have to you. I was diagnosed with cancer of lungs few years ago, immediately after the death of my husband who has left me everything he worked. I have been inspired by God to donate my inheritance to you for the good work of God and charity purpose, i am doing this because my family are unbelievers and I will not allow them inherit this money for their own selfishness. I have come to find out that wealth acquisition without Jesus Christ is a vanity. My late husband was very wealthy and after his death, I inherited all his business and wealth. Based on the doctors reports that i might not live up to three months. My late husband family intentions is to allow me die in this condition because I do not have a child, this have made me source for a Godly person abroad who will make this claim of $10 Million dollars which is deposited in a security firm. I decided to bequeath the sum of $10,000,000.00 to you. If you are much more interested, Contact Mr. Mathew Phillips with this specified email
Parent - - By sideshowbob Date 2017-07-07 10:46 AM
And are you a Godly person ? C'mon , fess up.
Parent - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2017-07-07 11:27 AM
ummm, no :laugh: But in case Mr. Mathew Phillips sees this then yes, yes I am
- - By sideshowbob Date 2017-07-07 7:32 PM
We come back from a week's vacation , coast to coast, then 2 hours driving thru Tstorms , long day back to home. We find the lights are on, salad and egg plant parm In the fridge + a few cold  IPAs  all courtesy of our neighbors . Next day we find the lawn mowed and plants and garden watered .
Folks-- it is a cliche, but life does not get better than this . We are blessed .
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-08 10:25 AM
If my neighbors decided to bless my wife and me, it'd likely be baloney sandwiches and Keystone Lite.  :laugh:

if we had a "Like" button, I'd use it here
Parent - - By sideshowbob Date 2017-07-08 12:38 PM
:laugh:  I remember 30 packs of Keystone from college days. :roll:
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-07-08 2:04 PM
I remember 30 packs of Coors that had a mail in rebate coupon on the side.
Parent - By sideshowbob Date 2017-07-08 3:37 PM
I missed that gimmick--do you have any coupons lying around ?
Parent - - By old turtle Date 2017-07-09 12:09 PM
WOW! Can I move to your neighborhood?
Parent - By sideshowbob Date 2017-07-09 3:28 PM
Well--you will have to be extremely vetted --:wink:
Parent - - By sideshowbob Date 2017-07-09 3:48 PM
I Just must add this : some years back, I had a number of surgeries and follow up visits at Sloan Kettering in NYC. During that time, a neighbor took me to lunch. After a few beers , he handed me a blank check to help with the expenses . I was speechless and started to tear  up at the table.  To my great good fortune , I have more than adequate insurance, so I declined .

I.m still misty eyed .
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-09 6:16 PM
:hug::hug:
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-07-09 6:32 PM
You're worth it. :cool:
- - By sideshowbob Date 2017-07-17 9:16 PM
More friends and former colleagues passing. Yes, I know about the circle of life and that all the world is a stage but it still gives one pause.

How much time is left  on  my clock ?
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-18 6:23 PM
:sad:
Parent - By squirrelgirl (Indian Buffet Queen) Date 2017-07-21 11:46 AM
:sad::hug:
- - By IB [us] Date 2017-07-18 5:19 PM
Is another police officer going to get away with killing an innocent person? I'd put money on it.  :mutmad:
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-18 6:24 PM
I want to know more of the details about what happened.  I just haven't taken the time to dig into it all yet.
Parent - - By IB [us] Date 2017-07-18 6:59 PM
Admittedly there isn't much to go on yet so I am jumping to conclusions here. But I sure hate reading stuff like that.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-19 7:31 PM
So do I, and in this case, nothing is making any sense whatsoever.  Still, I need to actually study up on what was happening when the shots were fired.
- - By N70SAK Date 2017-07-19 7:07 AM
:shocker!: Almost burned my whole face with paint stripper yesterday. While learning to strip paint, I had a small can slip from my hand and fall straight to the ground, causing the contents to splash directly up toward my face. I was fortunate enough to only get a few drops on my lip and cheek and the tiniest drop on my tongue. :cry: A quick spay in the face with a hose and I was fine but it was terrifying to see that green crap flying at me. I was wearing goggles!

The project we are doing is stripping the paint from the wings of a Piper Apache. The worst was over yesterday. Today is removing the stuff left in cracks and around rivets. Then we treat the aluminum; finally painting tomorrow. :happy:
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-07-19 8:23 AM
Huh huh huh, stripping.
Parent - - By N70SAK Date 2017-07-19 4:58 PM
The stripper reeks of ammonia. :cry:
Parent - By IB [us] Date 2017-07-21 3:13 PM
:laugh:
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-07-19 1:37 PM
Hey, I'm thinking of moving to a bigger place, man, I'm making some good money.
Parent - - By sideshowbob Date 2017-07-19 2:55 PM
cookin Meth ?
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-07-19 5:08 PM
You're tearing me APAHT, sideshow!
Parent - By sideshowbob Date 2017-07-19 9:05 PM
Wicked pissah .
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-19 7:32 PM
Saw a survey result that claimed the #1 thing home buyers regretted was not buying a bigger place.  Wish I'd saved the link.
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-07-19 8:05 PM
I would have thought that it was buying a house on an ancient burial ground.
Parent - - By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) Date 2017-07-20 11:14 AM
I'd think 100% would be buyers buying a place close to The Beard
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-07-20 11:41 AM
I've got excellent curb appeal.
Parent - - By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) Date 2017-07-20 11:59 AM
Sure you do. Keeping that shrubbery neatly trimmed
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-07-20 12:36 PM
I have a goblin rising from my shrubbery. :mischief:
- - By mutiger [us] Date 2017-07-20 1:51 PM
Soundgarden/Audioslave lead singer Chris Cornell died this year? :shocker!:

He died when I was in the hospital and probably knocked out and that's why I probably don't know. Found this out only today while reading about the Linkin Park guy's death. :sad:
Parent - By elmtree Date 2017-07-20 4:08 PM
Yes, they both died by suicide.
Parent - - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2017-07-20 6:43 PM
Parent - By mutiger [us] Date 2017-07-21 10:16 AM
Im a big fan of both bands.....that's mostly what I listen to :sad:
- - By sideshowbob Date 2017-07-22 3:55 PM
An open question if you will :

You are at a locale bistro having dinner with some old friends. One member of your group starts bad mouthing the wait staff for being slow or mixing up the orders or something , as he is prone to do. To be sure there have been times when the targeted person has heard this.

How would you handle this awkward situation ?
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-07-22 5:44 PM
Murder.
Parent - By sideshowbob Date 2017-07-22 6:01 PM
: pbbt:
Parent - By N70SAK Date 2017-07-22 7:24 PM
Make them uncomfortable by reminding them it could be worse. :)
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-22 10:32 PM
Two of Richard Russo's short stories that I've read recently have characters like this.  Unfortunately, I doubt there's much you can do,
Parent - - By IB [us] Date 2017-07-24 5:11 PM
If it weren't the case (particularly in regards to the speed of service & I am quite patient) I would loudly point out that my old friend was being unreasonably impatient. I would likely add something along the lines of "Why don't we just sit here and enjoy each others company and let the nice young man/woman (whichever the case may be) do their job without complaining about it".
Parent - - By sideshowbob Date 2017-07-24 9:23 PM
That has been tried by myself and others, but it's not been very successful. As my friend ages, it seems that his numerous hang-ups seem to multiply. :sad:
Parent - - By old turtle Date 2017-07-26 3:07 PM
My grandmother once told me that her grandmother told her, "People don't change. They just get more so." Sounds like your friend is getting more so. :sad:
Parent - By sideshowbob Date 2017-07-26 3:59 PM
I think you are right ,  in this case .:sad:
- - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-07-24 12:18 PM
just an update. i guess it is good news though i am finding my reaction quite mixed.

the echo showed mild mitro valve prolapse and regurgitation. so the valve doesn't close properly and some blood back washes into the atrium from what I understand. you can have it for a long time and never experience symptoms. it is somewhat common. There are various causes including just wear and tear which seems to be the only one that fits me. Rheumatic fever and heart attack are other causes. anyway, it can cause afib. this info was from the NP's office after getting the results of the echo cardiogram. they seemed to think no big deal. I am to stay on the blood thinner for now. the appointment with the cardiologist isn't until Sept. 22 but they recommended calling to get on a waiting list so if there were a cancellation I'd get in sooner. They said it was ok to run as long as i am not experiencing any pain etc. I've been running very little because I didn't know what was going on and was afraid to push things. I guess I will try to get into a more normal routine and see how things go.. exercise intolerance is one thing that can happen having this.. it can come on suddenly like it did with me with the symptoms seemingly appearing out of nowhere. i guess i should be relieved but find myself feeling anxious today. i still have this sensation of being very aware of my heartbeat most of the time. it's best when I'm busy and not thinking about it and maybe if I can get back into a more normal routine that will help with feeling not so anxious.
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-07-24 1:06 PM
A little anxiety is a reasonable response.  It's good that the docs aren't overly worried, and that you have permission to run, but still, it's going to weigh heavily on the mind, at least until you get back to running for a few weeks and have no other problems.  I hope that happens soon for you :hug:
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-07-24 4:08 PM
thanks LDR :hug:
Parent - - By soundandfury (100 mile stud) Date 2017-07-24 2:53 PM

>  They said it was ok to run as long as i am not experiencing any pain etc.

I'd take great encouragement from them giving you the okay. If they were at all worried, they wouldn't have done this.

Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-07-24 4:07 PM
when i first asked the assistant about running she gave a quick "a long as it doesn't cause problems." then she paused and asked how much I run and I said "a lot". So she asked the NP who knows a little more about that particular habit of mine and came back with it's okay as long as there is no pain. i tried to limit the googling obsessively but there is some into out there about endurance runners who have this and run with no issues.. so I hope that's true for me too.

Parent - By IB [us] Date 2017-07-24 5:14 PM
:cool:
Parent - By old turtle Date 2017-07-26 3:09 PM
:hug:  Hope it all goes well.
Parent - - By elmtree Date 2017-07-24 4:10 PM
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-07-24 4:52 PM
Parent - By IB [us] Date 2017-07-24 5:13 PM
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-07-25 11:47 AM
Parent - - By Xtreme Taper Date 2017-07-25 12:28 PM
Thanks for the update. I definitely get your anxiety over this and I hope you get to see the cardiologist sooner then scheduled. I think that appointment will ease your mind a lot. My humble opinion is to get out there and run since they said it's ok, but with sort of with an easy lollygag enjoy the outdoors mindset. I looked back at my running log when I had pericarditis (I log non running days and one liner thoughts), and see notes about anxiety several times 2-3 weeks after the episode.
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-07-25 12:44 PM
My friend Chris is a nurse. Use to work in a cardiac care unit. You met her and Joe at Virgil Crest I think. Anyway, she was helpful in explaining some of what might be going on. One of my questions is why? If I've had this faulty valve that never caused symptoms or been triggered before, why now? She said it was like someone getting stung by a bee 1,000 times and having no allergic reaction. Then they get stung the 1001 time and have an allergic reaction. For unknown reasons. And sometimes they find a reason. It could be an episodic occurrence that goes away as quickly as it came. She said that's been known to happen. She said there are electrophysiology studies that can help find out if there are problems in the electrical pathways and there is a good doc locally that does that. And she reminded me to be patient and give myself a break and allow myself to recover. Good friend :hug: I've been ignoring my log, but I should try to track it as you did. I am going to try to get into a more normal running routine now that i am not as worried about dropping dead suddenly..
Parent - By neustkg (Important) Date 2017-07-26 1:09 PM
Good to see you can at least run as long as you don't feel any pain.  Hope all goes well with the cardiologist.
Parent - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2017-07-26 3:04 PM
Parent - - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2017-07-30 12:19 AM
A number of years ago the cardiologist told me that I had mild mitro valve prolapse also.  He didn't and still doesn't seem to be very concerned about it.  I get the impression that it is a relatively common thing for cardiologists to find when they really start looking.  I don't think it has effected me that much, but I have noticed that international travel is a bit tougher than it used to be.  I get more tired, often a little bloated, and it takes me longer to recover from jet lag.  I used to do about 10 international trips a year, so was pretty good at adjusting to the time change, but it's become a lot harder the last few years.  I try to give myself an extra day at the beginning of the trip, and an extra recovery day when I get back.

Try not to let your thought process get too far ahead of your diagnosis.  It's easier said than done,
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-07-30 5:14 AM
Thanks! I am hoping for similar news. It has been mentioned that this is a somewhat common thing for someone to have. I actually got an appointment for this coming Wednesday with a cardiologist my RN/ultra buddy recommended. He's suppose to be very good. My friend commented yesterday about how this all suddenly came on after the trip and she is really wondering if the combo of things--all the running, travel, lack of sleep--acted as some kind of trigger for the episode of afib I had. I don't do a lot of traveling but have noticed in the last few years that recovery from longer races takes more time.
- By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-07-26 8:09 PM
My cat's breath smells like cat food.
- - By sideshowbob Date 2017-07-26 9:37 PM
At Habitat, we are kind of in-between building houses. So in the slack season, the director hooked up with a local neighborhood gardening group that turns vacant city lots into shared gardens . This is a way of keeping the volunteers from drifting away to other activities and should be a win-win situation.
Today I drove  around the area of the new garden and was very dismayed. Many vacant houses , boarded up properties and pit bulls chained on front porches --yes ! So we build this garden to provide a community space and fresh veggies for the residents, with the best of intentions, but I have few illusions about our actions making any difference. :sad::cry::sad:
Parent - By old turtle Date 2017-07-29 8:52 AM
:sad:
Parent - - By IB [us] Date 2017-07-29 2:17 PM
The thing is this, you might be able to change the perspective of one person. If you can change just one person even though it won't change the neighborhood it will make a difference in the world.  :hug:
Parent - - By sideshowbob Date 2017-07-29 5:15 PM
I wish I had your optimism .
Parent - By old turtle Date 2017-07-30 3:31 PM
Me too. :blush:
- - By N70SAK Date 2017-07-29 8:18 AM
Day 1 of Summer Vacation, Part II.

Yesterday finished up Physics(I didn't stick around to get me test grade). I have Math, Basic Electricity(3 parts), and the last third of Materials and Processes left in General. All going to plan. I move up to Airframe on 10/23, Mole Day. :happy:
Parent - By old turtle Date 2017-07-29 8:52 AM
:happy:
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-07-29 10:47 AM
Parent - By N70SAK Date 2017-07-29 1:37 PM
- - By IB [us] Date 2017-07-29 2:22 PM
After Western States I had blood work done as part of the medical research revolving around the race. One item came back abnormally high and they recommended that I follow up with my doctor. So I went in at the beginning of the week to see him so that I could get another round of blood work done. He set me up with that but also said that they could test my urine there in the office just to check kidney function. He told me everything looked normal. Got a call yesterday stating that my blood work had come back with all levels within normal range. I was only mildly concerned about it, figuring that it was going to return to normal. Must say that I was glad to get that message.  :happy:
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-07-29 4:31 PM
Parent - By cowboyjunkie Date 2017-07-29 6:28 PM
:happy:
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-08-10 12:27 PM
Parent - - By IB [us] Date 2017-08-10 6:08 PM
That post was in a lot of ways for you & I should have let you know about it, glad you found it.
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-08-10 6:09 PM
Glad your results came back in the normal range.
- - By old turtle Date 2017-07-30 3:35 PM
As I was hiding my partially consumed bag of M&M's it occurred to me that if I die tomorrow my family will be finding various chocolate stashes for years. :blush::laugh:
Parent - By N70SAK Date 2017-07-30 3:55 PM
Nice! :laugh:
Parent - By IB [us] Date 2017-07-30 6:01 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::hug:
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2017-07-31 4:56 AM
We actually found the same for my Mom and she wasn't near as big a chocolate fan as I am. She just liked a nibble here and there but she used to hide it when I was a kid since i'd eat it so she continued I guess when we all grew up. My kids may or may not encounter this when I die :blush:
Parent - By old turtle Date 2017-07-31 7:22 AM
:laugh: I hide it from my husband. He says he doesn't want it but if he happens to see it...
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-08-10 12:28 PM
I've started hiding the bar-b-q beef from DW.  I use a little at a time on crackers as a snack.  She uses it in huge amounts to make these monstrous sandwiches.  :meh:
Parent - By old turtle Date 2017-08-12 4:55 AM
:laugh:
- - By sideshowbob Date 2017-08-03 8:16 AM
It's time for another round of tests and procedures and after which, I will glow in the dark. I guess I see every kind of medical specialist except Ob-Gyn .
Yes, I know how fortunate I am to have a platinum insurance coverage . Yes I have great family and friends for support. But when is enuf enuf ?This is emotionally and mentally corrosive.
Parent - By N70SAK Date 2017-08-03 8:55 AM
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2017-08-03 9:05 AM
Parent - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-08-03 3:52 PM
:sad::hug:
Parent - - By JimGo1 Date 2017-08-09 9:07 PM
I can't imagine the stress of this.  Thinking about you bob and praying for a good outcome.   Hoping you get some good news.
Parent - By sideshowbob Date 2017-08-09 9:12 PM
Thanks. So far , so good
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-08-10 12:29 PM
:hug:  - I'm glad the results are coming back in your favor.
- By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2017-08-03 3:54 PM
Yesterday my flight home was canceled due to some mysterious weather problem somewhere and the proposed rebook flight would have got me home 24 hours after I was originally supposed to get back.  :shocker!::meh:  I rented a car and drove instead, getting in around 3am.  :roll:
- - By neustkg (Important) Date 2017-08-04 9:05 AM
My wife’s 89 year old aunt visited us last weekend from Kansas.  Other relatives were going to a wedding nearby and drove her to our place for a visit.  This 89, almost 90 year old aunt is still pretty spry (a couple years ago she got tired of the paint in one of her rooms so she bought new paint and painted it like it was nothing.  Well, the visit started out fine Friday night, but she woke up Saturday morning with double vision and it never went away.  We were planning on going to Rocky Mountain National Park, but we decided she needed to go to urgent care.  She was there a while and they ran some tests including a spiral CT scan and EKG.  They decided she needed to go to the hospital for observation and more tests.  She was there all day Sunday we were told she might need to stay a few days more.  She had this problem a few weeks ago, but her doctors in Kansas didn’t seem concerned and did not run any tests as they thought it was a migraine.  We contacted her son who did not seem concerned and did not volunteer to come out to stay with her in the hospital.  Her relatives were planning on picking her up on Sunday and drive home, but since we did not have their correct cell phone number we could not contact them.  They stopped by early Sunday and I gave them the news and location of the hospital and they went over to visit her, but they had to leave for Kansas later in the morning.  My wife stayed in contact with them early in the week and finally she was released on Tuesday.  My wife was going to try to demand that the son come pick her up (as she wanted to get back home), but he was pushing back.  Wife tentatively arranged something with the relatives who drove her out that she could drive half way to Hayes, KS and meet them there, but couldn’t do it until Friday.  Once her aunt got to our house, she didn’t want anything to do with her son driving her back and wanted to rent a car and drive back herself.  I asked if she was cleared to drive and she said she could drive as long as she kept one eye closed.  We kind of looked into renting a car one way and my wife looked at flight information.  Was going to be $500 for rental car one way and we found a SW flight for $203.  So was a no brainer brainer to us.  I gave her the news and she was still thinking about renting the car.  So I said it would take her about 8 hours to drive back and just a little more than an hour to fly back and we could walk her to her flight and her relative pick her up when the plane lands.  She finally agreed to the flight.  Talk about independent!
Parent - By old turtle Date 2017-08-10 6:46 AM
Quite a story. So did she get home safely?
Parent - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-08-10 12:32 PM
There is no one in my life who has frustrated me more than my mom, and we are not emotionally close, but WTF!!! - even I would get my ass out there to bring my mom home.  :mutmad: :mutmad: :mutmad:
- - By IB [us] Date 2017-08-09 8:53 PM
Walking home from the bus stop tonight I hear my name called. Can't imagine who it might be. Turned around and it was a blast from my rather distant past.
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2017-08-10 12:32 PM
hope it was a pleasant blast
Parent - By IB [us] Date 2017-08-10 6:05 PM
At this point I am not sure. It was good to say hello that much I do know.
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Randomness