Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Saturday Chit Chat NRR
- - By Speedymedic Date 2006-07-08 7:25 AM
What's on your agenda today? I have laundry going and already hung out one load. Anyone else hang clothes on the line? I love how everything smells fresh from the line. Gotta clean house then head out for some shopping. What ever you do have fun & enjoy the day. Speedy
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2006-07-08 7:30 AM
Dithering that's what's ion my agenda.  Was planning to go for a ride this morning but while I was doing the grocery shopping my shin started hurting again.  Why? So not fair - I haven't run in over 2 weeks, the pain went away... and now I was intending to get back to run/walking on Monday, suddenly it's back.  So I'm trying to decide if I should ride or not.  I'll probably get out for 45 mins but the idea of shin pain plus cramps just isn't that big a motivator :sad:
Parent - By Speedymedic Date 2006-07-08 7:33 AM
Awww...that sucks about your shin.Ugh at the cramps too. Maybe it will all feel better once you get out there.   
Parent - By sarahbanana Date 2006-07-08 7:50 AM
shins :meh:
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2006-07-08 7:57 AM
Grrr.  Not fair doesn't begin to express it, especially when you've been so good about resting.  I know the feeling well.  Maybe just a short ride to get the blood flowing? Sending your shin strict instructions to behave!
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2006-07-08 8:21 AM
Could your shoes be causing the shin pain? 
Parent - By gohawki [us] Date 2006-07-08 10:26 AM
Shins are evil.  If there was such a thing as a shin replacement, I'd do it!!!!
Parent - By Pencils [us] Date 2006-07-08 10:30 AM
Shin pain sucks.  I haven't had it in fifteen years or so, but I'm terrified it will happen again.  I don't blame you wanting to take it easy.
Parent - - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2006-07-08 10:34 AM
Shin pain can become a monster who never leaves. I had shin pain start in April 2000. By July 2000, I couldn't run without terrible pain. Diagnosed with multiple sfxs due to an "update" of my regular running shoes. Didn't start back running again until February 2001. Let's just say my ass got very tired of biking. I was completely healed and back to normal mileage by August 2001. I seriously thought my running days were over.

Figure out the source or your shin pain will never go away.
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2006-07-08 2:27 PM
I was thinking maybe I should add a reply to the RWOL thread.  You know you're a runner when... you have shin issues :laugh: :cry:

Yeah, this needs sorting.  If 2+ wks of rest hasn't done anything then clearly there's a problem which needs medical attention.  I'm planning to go back to a run/walk plan since running doesn't make it hurt worse, but I'm now at the point where the benefit of seeing the dr in Kiev outweighs the problem of taking a full day off work.

Thanks for the input of your experience
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2006-07-08 2:57 PM
Shins stink.  One of the body parts you don't notice until they start to hurt.

I would say a visit to the doctor is in order, since the rest hasn't cured the shin pain.
Parent - - By sarahbanana Date 2006-07-08 7:50 AM
We hang a lot of our clothes out when the weather's nice (not socks & underwear & shirts, our line's not that big - but towels, sheets, etc).  I don't think they smell good from the line, I think they smell like clothes that dried outside : pbbt:  I like the way they smell & feel from the dryer better but the dryer's not free.

Just getting ready to leave for our camping trip/race.  It's for my birthday so I really hope it's just fun and relaxing and not a huge pain.
Parent - By Speedymedic Date 2006-07-08 8:00 AM
Have fun on your trip. Good luck on the race. Happy Birthday early in case I don't get the chance to say it on the big day. 
Parent - By Pencils [us] Date 2006-07-08 10:30 AM
Happy Birthday!  And have a great time on your trip, and good luck in the race.
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2006-07-08 7:56 AM
I love the smell of things hung out on the line.  And just the act of hanging them up and taking them down is so soothing... homey and comforting I guess.  So mundane it's interesting. 
Not much on tap, going to head out for a run as soon as my second breakfast digests.  Other than that, wrapping up some things at work and then grocery shopping.  I hope I can avoid going to a 'surprise party' for this acquaintance tonight... she's not someone I keep in touch with, kind of stodgy, and just blah.  I didn't commit one way or the other to go, and the organiser didn't ask.  So.... would it be that awful not to go?:mischief:
Eep, these thoughts are very unlike me...:evil:
Parent - - By Speedymedic Date 2006-07-08 8:03 AM
MG ..I love reading your posts. You always seem so  laid back & relaxed. I think I would skip the party. Have a great run!
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2006-07-08 8:12 AM
I think you're the first person to describe me as 'laid back'!! And its good to hear :grin:  Actually, I've been working for a while on just letting things happen as they will (without slacking, of course) and not fretting so much about the little things each day.  I am *very* much someone who works like crazy, is fussy about how her pens sit in the pen cup, eats her mixed fruit in a particular order....  so its good to know that my efforts to relax my mindset are starting to show :cool:

Yeah, the party... not so much on going.  I think I'll call the organiser before its too late and give him the heads-up.  Sigh.  I should just learn to say no in the first place, huh?
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2006-07-08 8:21 AM
I find it hard to say no too.  I think you need a night to do whatever you want. You have been working long hours.
Parent - - By mollybees Date 2006-07-08 8:01 AM
I hang clothes out too-we have a dryer, but I never use it.  We grew up with line drying, so I've just continued!

Watching the Tour, then taking the dog for a walk.  Then cleaning.  Yuk.
Parent - - By Speedymedic Date 2006-07-08 8:06 AM
I'm watching the Tour too. We always line dried too. Think that is why I continue to do it. Anyone remember the old wringer washers? We had a Maytag. What fun to feed the clothes thru the wringer. Had to watch your fingers!
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2006-07-08 8:14 AM
I've seen them, and my parents have pics of the old wringers they grew up with.  But we don't have them anymore.  When I was little and we'd go to visit relatives in India, I'd make them drag out the old wringers they still stored in the basement and let me feed the clothes through.  They thought I was insane to skip the brand new washer/dryer sitting right there!
Parent - - By Speedymedic Date 2006-07-08 8:20 AM
Wow it must be so neat to visit India. I still have the old Maytag. Hasn't been used in years. We keep it out in the shed. I have washer & dryer. I would have never guessed you for a fussy or picky type person. You seem so kind & gentle. I am picky in that stuff has to be organized just so. I can't stand clutter.    
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2006-07-08 10:53 AM
That's it exactly, things have to be organised just so.  And I'm a perfectionist, but mostly with myself.  I can let things go or understand things in other people, but I tend to be harsher on myself.  I'm mildly OCD, but very targetedly so.  Working on it though.
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2006-07-08 8:19 AM
I grew up without a dryer so I don't hang up clothes outside.  I like how soft they come out from the dryer.
Parent - - By MetalChick Date 2006-07-08 8:32 AM Edited 2006-07-08 8:38 AM
We're not allowed to have clotheslines in our suburb. Bunch of @#(*@#*%@ running this place. :meh:
Parent - - By mollybees Date 2006-07-08 8:44 AM
just hang them all over your porch railings! :)
Parent - By MetalChick Date 2006-07-08 8:51 AM
Not enough railings. :sad:
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2006-07-08 8:46 AM
You have a lot of rules, wow.  I am so glad we can do what we want. What happens if you break a rule?
Parent - - By MetalChick Date 2006-07-08 8:52 AM
They put you in jail.

Well, not really. But they will fine you.

I love my house, but I hate living in this place. :meh: But we are stuck for a few more years.
Parent - By Pencils [us] Date 2006-07-08 11:53 AM
That's so funny.  I guess they think it looks lower-class to have laundry on a line, so they don't want it?  Around here, it's probably the opposite: if you have laundry on the line, it means you're thinking about the environment, so you're progressive.
Parent - By Samantha Date 2006-07-08 12:39 PM
asshats. :meh:
Parent - By gohawki [us] Date 2006-07-08 10:25 AM
It's too dusty to hang clothes on a line here.  I'm pretty sure it's against the rules in our neighborhood too.  Stupid HOA nazis.  Unfortunately in Phoenix, it is practically impossible to find a house without an HOA.  When I lived in Iowa I hung clothes on the line all the time and loved it!  My mom thought I was nuts but since I was in charge of the laundry, she let me do it however I wanted.
Parent - - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2006-07-08 10:30 AM
You people and your darn clothes lines. Gah. I spent hours and hours of my childhood hanging clothes and taking down clothes from the stupid line, all frickin' stiff. :meh:

I :hug: my dryer. So there.
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2006-07-08 2:28 PM
word.  Bed sheets on the line? Never again :meh:
Parent - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2006-07-08 3:27 PM
:meh:

scratch, scratch.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2006-07-08 2:59 PM
Amen.  I like the idea of a line but the clothes, particularly the towels, are so stiff when they are dry.

Stiff is good for some things.  Clothes aren't one of them. 

I love my dryer.  It broke a while back and I really missed it until it was fixed.  We wound up doing 5-6 loads of laundry and taking them to the laundromat to dry them.  That's not cheap.:shocker!:
Parent - - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2006-07-08 3:28 PM
Stiff is good for some things...like a drink or...:evil:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2006-07-08 6:48 PM
Why, you filthy mind you.  That insinuation never crossed my mind.

(And if you believe that, I have some nice beachfront property down the street from gohawki's house...)
Parent - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2006-07-08 9:29 PM
:laugh:
Parent - - By fivelette [us] Date 2006-07-08 10:35 AM
I shopped all morning. I needed a book on body language for work. A new hamper (mine is wicker and ruining some of my clothes :mutmad:)

Why is it when I go to a sale for something I always manage to find the one thing that isn't on sale? But I do adore my new DKNY bikini. : pbbt: I also scored a major deal on Kenneth Cole jewelry. I got 10 pieces for $80...unheard of.

Now it's laundry time, and i have an evening wedding tonight. I'm someone's pity date. He keeps getting blown-off by the girl he loves. I believe she's just toying with him, but he thinks she loves him. Anyways....I'm his date. I'm dreading it, but oh well, I'll earn my angel wings for the weekend.

I should be on the beach in my new bikini
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2006-07-08 10:55 AM
10 pieces for $80 - that's incredible! What kinds of things did you get? Beach and bikini sound good now.... maybe a test run tomorrow for the new stuff?
Parent - - By Pencils [us] Date 2006-07-08 10:46 AM
I hated hanging clothes on the line when I was a child.  It was work.  When the clothes went in the dryer, no work for the children.  We only hung the clothes outside in the summers when we stayed at my great-grandmother's house in Montauk, because she didn't have a dryer.  She was a very elderly lady and didn't see the point of a dryer when you could hang stuff outside.  And she was right of course, but I didn't see it that way as a kid.  So when we were out there, a family of six, there was a lot of laundry, as you can imagine, and we hung it all on the line outside.  The only good part about a string of wet days at the beach was that my mom would end up taking the wet laundry to the laundromat to dry.  I liked the smell of the line-dried laundry, but I hated the stiffness.

Anyway, don't know what I'm doing today.  Just got up a little while ago.  :blush:  Didn't get to bed until after one last night, so I was tired.  I needed that eleven hours of sleep.  I loved Dead Man's Chest, the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie.  Dunno what's the problem with all those reviewers.  OK, it was a little long, and a little silly, but otherwise it was a perfect summer movie.  And I got my hair done, which looks great.  Very natural, you'd never know this wasn't natural highlighting.  Of course, my hair does highlight naturally, which helps.  It's a lot harder to make someone with black hair look like a naturally highlighted blonde than to do it to me.  In fact, I think it's impossible.  But anyway...I had a great time hanging out at the new salon.  It took forever to do my hair, though.  Seems like every time I go, it takes longer. I got there at two, and didn't get out until a quarter to six.  Of course Wolf was a little late, and we had a fuse blow, but still, it took forever.  And Gary showed up at the end and I think Wolf was showing off for him a bit.  :laugh:
Parent - - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2006-07-08 10:49 AM
Maybe that's what it was. There were 8 people in my immediate family. That's a lot of laundry for the children to hang. :meh:
Parent - By Pencils [us] Date 2006-07-08 11:05 AM
I remember hanging laundry, and looking over at the ocean--because her house was right on the water--and thinking of all the fun things I could be doing that weren't hanging laundry.  :laugh:  Although, it was probably good for me.  We had very, very few responsibilities as a children (although seems like a lot more than kids do today!) and there's nothing wrong with making kids do a little work.  Especially since my mom had a LOT to do, including piles and piles of laundry for the whole family.  And now that I think of it, especially LOTS of laundry, as we had a bedwetter in the family.

The stuff smelled great though, line-dried right by the ocean.  However, I had semi-undiagnosed allergies and it probably made me worse.  My mom brought in my brother once for something, and was talking to the doctor about allergies, and he told her that I probably was the one with allergies, as I had a constant post-nasal drip throughout my childhood.  And he was right.  There was a long time that I took Dimetapp, when it was still a prescription drug, but mostly I didn't get anything for them.
Parent - - By JGrey Date 2006-07-08 11:00 AM
I hope everyone noticed how many posts the sex thread got yesterday.  Yes, I'm a jr. hi boy.  But so are the rest of you.

I just bought a little clothesline for our back yard specifically for DH's nasty bikram yoga towels.  If he lets them sit for even one day, they get gross.  Sun is anti-bacterial.  So we use borax and hang them.  I prefer the smell of laundry hung outside, but I don't like the heavily perfumed dryer sheets and detergents, etc. I hung a lot of laundry as a kid, but it was the chore I least minded, as opposed to, say, dusting.  Ick. I still hardly ever dust.

I would like to go shopping, but I have 120 lab reports to grade this week, so I have to get started on those before I let myself do anything else.  I'm going to wait to run until 5 or 6, it's a sauna out there right now.  And I may swim instead.  DH is accusing me of being stompy, so I'd better do something.
Parent - - By Pencils [us] Date 2006-07-08 11:11 AM
I hang up my running clothes until they dry, but usually off doorknobs or hooks on the back of the bathroom door.  We just bought a metal drying rack at Target but have been too lazy to put it togther.  :blush:  It's true, if we let our workout clothes sit in a pile in the hamper they'd probably just get moldy.  I don't mind smelly, as long as they're dry smelly.
Parent - By JGrey Date 2006-07-08 12:07 PM
I try to get him to at least unroll his towel so it doesn't just fester in its own juices, but even letting them dry before washing, the smell just doesn't quite come out without the help of sunlight.  I think it doesn't help that the water itself down here always has a whiff of eau-de-swamp anyway.

A drying rack is a good idea, he currently uses the ironing board to hang his yoga mat, and now the ironing board smells like sweaty plastic. :meh:
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2006-07-08 1:09 PM
Ditto on the laundry over dusting.  As a child I'd do almost any other chore (even clean bathrooms) to get out of dusting.  Still hate it to this day.
Parent - By gohawki [us] Date 2006-07-08 11:04 AM
Is anyone else watching Wimbledon?  I'm bummed I missed the women's final but I was running!  I love watching the doubles - so fast paced!
Parent - - By Speedymedic Date 2006-07-08 11:11 AM
The chore I least liked as a kid and still hate is dish washing. I detest dirty dishes. But I can't stand leaving them in the sink very long either so I do them soon as we finish eatting and also some as I cook.
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2006-07-08 11:38 AM
I don't mind dishes too much, but I can't stand cleaning the bathroom.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2006-07-08 1:10 PM
My hated chore was dusting.  Never could stand it.  Didn't mind dishes or bathroom duty... or even vacuuming.  Dusting - forget it.  Now, I can't stand to see dishes sitting around so I wash all of them as I cook/before sitting down to eat.
Parent - - By swandive [us] Date 2006-07-08 11:43 AM
I worked this morning.  Didn't really want to work (really wanted to sleep in...), but it wasn't a bad morning to work.  I mostly just did my thing and people left me alone. :)  I need to do laundry, which seems to be the topic of conversation around here, but it will have to wait till tomorrow.  I've never been much for hanging stuff out on the line.  It's too much work. :laugh:  It does make things smell nice, but so fricking stiff.

Random thought: Why is milk so expensive at the grocery store?  It's about $3.85 at Food Lion or Lowes Food, but you go to Target or Aldi and it's almost a dollar cheaper.  Even the country store around the corner is about $0.15 cheaper than the grocery store.  What gives?
Parent - - By Pencils [us] Date 2006-07-08 11:51 AM
I don't know.  Maybe they think they can get away with it, that you automatically buy milk while you're getting your groceries and you just don't think about it.  I certainly don't.  I did notice that a gallon at Costco is only $2.05, but the Costco we usually go to never has fat-free milk for some reason.  I can never figure out why.  We happened to go to another, slightly farther Costco recently, and they did have fat-free milk, but we had just bought it at the supermarket.  We go through a lot of milk, but don't have room for mulitple gallons in the fridge.  Our fridge is always very full, and it's not a full-size one.  It's not quite as small as the "apartment-sized" fridge I had in my old place, but it's not the size my parents have, either, or the one in the Montauk house.  (My sister's regular house has a Sub-Zero fridge and a full-size freezer.)
Parent - By Speedymedic Date 2006-07-08 4:48 PM
Pricing depends alot on the volume of milk a store sells. Places like Walmart or Target can buy in bigger amounts & sell for less where a grocery prob doesn't sell near as much so they have it charge more to make a profit.

I used to work at a supermarket when I was going to college. Learned alot about sales there.  
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2006-07-08 1:16 PM
$3.85! Ours is $4.30 for half a gallon!

Okay, my random thought/question: Why does milk from different brands/stores taste different? It's all milk, after all.  I've recently been ordered by the doc to start drinking milk (I'm a vegan; thankfully it's just the added milk) for better calcium absorbtion and other health reasons.  So this is all new to me.... I buy a gallon of Hood milk and it tastes fine.  Midweek, I stop by Whole Foods and pick up a gallon of their own store brand and it tastes totally different than the Hood! As an experiment, that weekend I get the store-brand from Stop & Shop.  Yet another taste.  Is it just me?? :wtf:
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2006-07-08 1:49 PM
Well, I'm not much of one to notice the difference in taste, but most of my family swears that Ingles milk is no good.  Publix and Kroger they like fine, but not Ingles.  I'm not really observant enough (or maybe my taste buds just aren't finely tuned enough) to notice.  I will only drink skim milk, though.  Anything else tastes like drinking cream.

$4.30 for a half gallon?  Are prices really that much higher in the northeast?  It's about $3.85 (or $3.89 or something) at the grocery store, but I think it's $2.89 at Aldi and $3.09 or something at Target.
Parent - - By bet_in_mich Date 2006-07-08 2:23 PM
It's probably the difference in cows.  It's not likely that the type of Target cow is the same as the type of Kroger cow, even though they're both miking cows.  There have to be genetic variations, therefore producing variations in taste.  I drink soy and it's the same way. Different beans, I guess.
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2006-07-08 2:57 PM
that's what I was going to say, different feed will give you different tasting milk. eggs too. my BF swears he can tell the difference between a happy chicken's egg and a factory egg.
Parent - - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2006-07-08 3:30 PM
I drink a couple of glasses of milk a day and I can tell the difference between brands. I usually can pick up the preferred milk for under $3 on sale. Also no carton milk. Gag. Full of bits of carton.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2006-07-09 5:05 AM
Ditto.  Carton milk (soy or regular) always tastes funny.
Parent - By Speedymedic Date 2006-07-08 4:53 PM
I only drink Soy Milk which costs me 3.89 per half gallon. Rob drinks 2% which is 2.89 per gallon. He can tell the diff in brands and perfers only milk in jugs.  
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2006-07-08 2:56 PM
Did the run, now frittering time on the forum.  Should not be doing this.  I have a quilt to quilt as quickly as possible, it has a deadline, and I also got the proofs of the text & course guide for the class I'm teaching online and live this fall.  I need to develop all the materials for this class -- yes I'm getting paid, but I have to turn it all in and it's going to take me several weeks.  I'm aiming to have it done in 5 weeks, doing 3 assignments a week. 

Will read NRR then run away for a while. 
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2006-07-08 3:00 PM
Waiting for MCF to get home from Synagaue and I'm a bit bored. We went last night, so I didn't want to go again this morning, but he did. I read. I cleaned my office. Now I'm shopping on line for a new file cabinet, my flies are too proliferous for the 2-drawer I currently have. Not sure what to do. Get a second 2-drawer or get a 4-drawer.

I wish he'd get home. I'm hugry and it is bad form for me to eat the challah without him being her to bless it with me. Of course, he's so late I *could* assume he got an invite somewhere for lunch and isn't going to eat with me.  Not sure what to do, other than keep snacking.
Parent - - By laxrunner Date 2006-07-08 3:40 PM
Reebs -- did you meet your bf through Jdate?  Just curious.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2006-07-08 3:41 PM
yes. he's actually the 4th (?) relationship I've had through j-date.  The J is really important to me, and I wasn't meeting them other ways.
Parent - - By laxrunner Date 2006-07-08 3:58 PM
I haven't yet decided the importance I place on the J, but I have a feeling I'll join eventually.  I'm glad to hear it's worked well for you. :-)
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2006-07-09 12:10 AM
it's worth trying. I found that in general, the kind of guy on there, no matter how J, was the kind of guy I liked- tend to be more educated and social justice oriented than a typical cross section of guys
Up Topic Communities / Women / Saturday Chit Chat NRR