Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / General Training / Another real question
- - By tartarm [us] Date 2006-06-23 6:07 PM
Mine deals with fitness. I am forced to take a couple weeks of (not injury related, but health related) and am worried about losing my fitness level. The other part is that I when I come back I want to start a marathon training program shortly after I come back. How long is  to long to start losing fitness. I was in great shape before as I set a P.R. in the 10K in may.

Thanks.
Parent - By Stace76 [us] Date 2006-06-24 6:57 AM
Pfitz says you can take up to 10 days off without a drop in fitness.  After that, you do start to lose some.  I think Daniels has a formula for where you'll be after X days off - I'll see if I can find it online.  If not, I'd try 1/3 or 1/2 of your last week's mileage your first week back, but all easy running.  See how that feels and go from there.

Will you be able to cross train at all or do you have to completely stop exercising?
Parent - By IB Date 2006-06-24 9:16 PM
You certainly won't lose much in that short of a period of time off.

In my opinion you should be able to launch right into a marathon training program pretty much right after you get back.
Parent - By miniscraper Date 2006-06-24 9:49 PM
You'll lose some fitness, but probably not too much.  Do you have to take a complete rest, or can you do some light cross training?
Parent - By whollymoly (manliest boy) Date 2011-07-25 7:45 PM
:shocker!:
Up Topic Training / General Training / Another real question