Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Friday NRR
- - By lovelylisa Date 2006-07-07 5:21 AM
I'm starting this b/c I have a question. :D
Parent - - By lovelylisa Date 2006-07-07 5:24 AM
Freps and Stormcatcher - I caught your discussion about ecoli in water on yesterday's afternoon NRR/RR thread. I got ecoli sepsis after childbirth and my son had it too, leading me to believe I may have had it when I went into the hospital. My DH has always sworn that I got it from swimming in this lake near us the weekend before. I thought he was crazy, but maybe he's got something there...
Parent - - By Jen1979 [us] Date 2006-07-07 7:17 AM
I'm not Freps or Stormcatcher, but I work with E. coli and I can tell you that there are a variety of places that you could have come in contact with an "unfriendly" strain of E. coli.  The lake is definitely a possibility.  Virtually all lakes/rivers/streams used for recreation are contaminated with fecal coliforms from humans.  However, your body is also colonized by a variety of E. coli strains all the time.  While these strains are innocuous in the gastrointestinal tract, they could cause illness if introduced into your bloodsteam (such as during birth), especially at a time when you are immunosupressed.  So while I wouldn't go drinking water from the local lake, I wouldn't be too freaked out about swimming there either.  You take the same risk swimming in a public pool. 
Parent - - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2006-07-07 7:55 AM
Which is why I stopped swimming anywhere. Gag.
Parent - - By Jen1979 [us] Date 2006-07-07 8:19 AM
Hehee!  You might want to stop eating out too.  Do you really think those restaurant workers wash their hands for the requisite 30 seconds with soap and hot water before they touch your food?  The infectious dose for E. coli O157:H7 is only 10 organisms. 

I love my career, but I have to forget what I know as a scientist outside of the lab so I can enjoy life like a normal person.  To me, the nastiest things are doorknobs and door handles.  I'll bet more disease is transmitted through bathroom doorknobs/handles than anything else.  But what can you do - you have to touch them from time to time!   
Parent - - By donnybrook [us] Date 2006-07-07 8:30 AM
10?!  Holy crap.  Maybe I need to rethink my recent burger binge...
Parent - By Jen1979 [us] Date 2006-07-07 9:04 AM
Yup, 10.  I had to work with that particular bug recently, and I changed gloves and washed my hands so frequently you would think I had OCD.  Its the first time I have ever really felt concerned about my health while doing an experiment. 
Parent - - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2006-07-07 9:03 AM
Well, since I started and received my biology degree, I do eat out less. And I also hate touching door handles and sitting in movie theaters (I never, ever wear anything but pants). Basically, the world is covered in feces. :cry:

One of the first general biology experiments I did was collecting samples from various things and growing the specimens. The toilet and the water fountain had the same nasty stuff on them. Gag. I never drank from a water fountain again. That was 8 years ago.
Parent - - By Beletoile [us] Date 2006-07-07 9:17 AM
I don't even want to know about movie theater seats.  I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. 

The only way to keep myself from freaking out and washing my hands constantly is to remind myself that while the world is covered in feces, it's probably normal, and even good for the immune system, to be exposed to at least a little bit of that.  Right?
Parent - - By JGrey Date 2006-07-07 9:39 AM
I love that "I just threw up in my mouth a little bit".  :laugh:

That's what I tell myself, too.  I take normal precautions, but obviously touching a doorknob won't kill me, or I'd have been dead long ago.  That's what your immune system is for. And we're ruining them with all our anti-bacterial stuff.
Parent - - By Buggy [us] Date 2006-07-07 9:56 AM
:laugh: The movie theater isn't where you're going to get sick. I've worked with foodbourne pathogens in the lab for 13 years and never once gotten sick. On the other hand I did get sick 3 times while working summers in a grocery store deli during college :shocker!:
Parent - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2006-07-07 9:59 AM
It's not so much about getting sick, just the thought of fecal matter being everywhere kind of gets to me. The most I was ever sick was when I worked at the recreation center at the college while I was a student. After I left there, I didn't have a cold/flu/crud for 3 years.
Parent - By yaldah Date 2006-07-07 1:32 PM
After about the 20th time I heard the phrase "oral-fecal transmission" in microbiology, I started to think twice before eating at a salad bar, touching a doorknob, etc.
Parent - - By Pencils [us] Date 2006-07-07 10:05 AM
Yeah, you just can't worry about this stuff too much.  And, besides, wasn't there just a study recently that basically said that small children who were exposed to some normal germs and dirt grew up to have fewer allergies and asthma problems?  That it seems as if your immune system wants to fight something, so if you've killed all the germs, it will then fight your own body.
Parent - - By rabbitrunner Date 2006-07-07 10:31 AM
My dad has been saying the same thing for years, lol.  He did most of the cooking when I was growing up and if he ever dropped something on the floor or whatever, his response was always, "Don't worry about it.  It's building immunities!" :laugh:  Maybe he's right since as a family we didn't generally get sick very often. 

And as clarification, he did always at least wash dropped food stuffs before throwing them into the pot or on a plate. 
Parent - By Buggy [us] Date 2006-07-07 10:41 AM
Wash?! That's reserved only for the tidbits covered in dog hair! :laugh:
Parent - - By Buggy [us] Date 2006-07-07 9:17 AM
Hey Jen - are you a food microbiologist? :hug:
Parent - - By Jen1979 [us] Date 2006-07-07 9:46 AM
Not exactly, but I guess the research I've been doing for the past year could fall into that category.  I'm more of a phage biologist, and I've been working on a new assay that uses a bacteriophage to detect E. coli O157:H7.  My degree is in biomedical sciences.
Parent - - By Buggy [us] Date 2006-07-07 9:54 AM
Cool! I don't meet too many other people who know the difference between pathogenic and non-pathogenic E. coli strains, much less infective doses! :cool:

Parent - - By Jen1979 [us] Date 2006-07-07 10:20 AM
I didn't know you were in food micro!  Is that why your screen name is Buggy?
Parent - By Buggy [us] Date 2006-07-07 10:38 AM
Ironically, no! My original screen name was Bug'smom bacause my daughter's nickname is Bug. I recently decided that I needed to acknowledge all three of my kids by referring to their effect on my state of mind :laugh: I guess I also managed to acknowledge my occupation : pbbt:
Parent - - By RainCityGirl [us] Date 2006-07-07 10:46 AM
Yeah, I worked with an E. coli protein while in grad school (I was more a biochemist than working with the whole bug) and everyone I knew -- drove me nuts -- thought I said I worked with Ebola.  :mutmad::mutmad::mutmad:  'Course, this was around the time The Hot Zone came out, whne suddenly all bacteria were dangerous little evils.

Give people a little bit of information... sigh.
Parent - By Jen1979 [us] Date 2006-07-07 12:18 PM
You should hear what my husband tells people I do for a living.  He just strings together a few words he heard me use and creates a new field.  Not that telling people my actual job title "Postdoctoral Research Associate" is really much better.  It will be much easier now that I have a faculty position at a liberal arts college lined up.  He just tells people that I am "going to be teaching genetics."  Nevermind that teaching genetics is only a small portion of my job responsibilities, but at least he has some part of it right! 
Parent - By mkmonkey [us] Date 2006-07-07 5:06 PM
You work with phage?!  Cool!  I used to work with phage - most recently with an E. coli/T4/T2 system.  This was back in college when I was working on microbial/viral evolution.  I kinda miss the little guys (work in health/science policy now). 

What school are you at?
Parent - - By fridayfishfry [us] Date 2006-07-07 6:25 AM
I have a stupid liver scan today at 12. Not supposed to eat 4 hours before, but at 3:45 before I shoved a berry scone down my throat quickly. Now you know I'll be waiting for a while, then I have to drink 4 glasses of tainted crystal light, then they have to iv me before I go near the scan. Hopefully I will be ok, I think it is a hurl prevention thing, since this CT thing is supposed to see through everything. 

Anyway, the scone was good. :-) Now does coffee w/o cream or sugar count as a clear liquid?
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2006-07-07 6:29 AM
Usually for these kinds of things, my doc says "tea or coffee without milk, cream, sugar, or lemon" counts as a clear liquid..... good luck on the liver scan.  Hope everything is okay - these fasting tests are always a pain.
Parent - - By americangirl [us] Date 2006-07-07 6:34 AM
No fun at all, I'm so sorry.  When will you know results of scan?
Parent - - By fridayfishfry [us] Date 2006-07-07 6:41 AM
I am not too concerned about the results at this point. This is a follow up test to a ct scan they did in march where they 'saw' a tumor in my pancreas that metasticized (sp?) to my liver and then after they told me I would have 2 months tops to live if that was the case. They then perforemed the scan in more detail (oral contrast and iv contrast) - exactly as I am having done today- plus a few liver biopsies and said there was nothing in my pancreas and the growths in my liver were not cancer.  I sent my results to a gastro out of Manhattan who is supposed to be one of the top ones and he said to have my liver checked again in 3-6 months to see if the growths changed after going off my birth control pills.  He wants them monitored to make sure they do not turn in to cancer. So today is just to see if they are bigger, smaller or no change. I don't know that I will get the results, unless it is something alarming until my next gastro visit at the end of August.

So the short of it is, I am no longer easily alarmed and since I am not sick like I was for 8 months around the time of the aformentioned test, I am not really worried. The test is mostly comfortable and not intrusive. I don't even have to take my clothes off.
Parent - By nhwarrior [us] Date 2006-07-07 6:49 AM
Good luck on the test.  I am sending you healthy vibes.  I really hate fasting tests!
Parent - By Pencils [us] Date 2006-07-07 10:13 AM Edited 2006-07-07 10:16 AM
Good luck!  I hate fasting tests too.

So, in general, you're feeling better?  Is it possible that you had some really nasty bug that they couldn't find?  I caught something in Acapulco years ago, and they couldn't find out what it was.  Then told me I didn't have anything, as they couldn't find bateria or a parasite, or that I had something and it was over.  Well, I KNEW I had something.  I was really, really sick for a couple of months, and it permanently fucked up my stomach.  I went from someone who had a little bit of reflux but could digest nails to someone with a delicate stomach.  Anyway, that was the worst plane flight of my life.  I was so sick.  And I had to change planes in Mexico City, which has an enormous airport.  Of course my gates were about as far apart as you could get.  I was so sick it didn't occur to me to ask for help.  I was just so beaten down, I plodded over to the other gate, visiting every ladies room along the way to throw up, resting on benches, and eventually made it just in time before my connecting flight left.  I even watched some of those little zippy golf carts going by, thinking "would be so nice to ride..." but I still didn't think to ask for help.  I was so sick!
Parent - By americangirl [us] Date 2006-07-07 10:54 AM
Well that's a relief! 
Parent - By mamarunner2 Date 2006-07-07 6:14 PM
Just got on these forums and saw this.  Hope everything turns out well for you.
Parent - - By Bunny Date 2006-07-07 6:54 AM
Dumb Question:

DH has a pea sized lump on his throat, under the skin. It's slightly sore to touch but the skin isn't red or wrong at all. It doesn't move when you manipulate the skin. Should I be rushing his butt to the doctor? His family carries the cancer gene. FIL has had cancer of the jaw, spine, and lungs. MIL has breast cancer which spread to the spine, underarm, lung, and both breasts.
Parent - By mmrocker13 [us] Date 2006-07-07 7:27 AM
Could be an inflamed lymph node, or just a shotty one. I have those in my throat and groin, as does Pat.  SOmetimes they aren't noticeable--other times, when I'm stressed or tired or sick, they get more prononced.
Parent - By newfmrs Date 2006-07-07 7:27 AM
Well I'm not sure where you're talking about but could it be a swollen lymph node or something?  Even so, it could be strep throat or something?  Regardless, I'd say send him in for a check up.  Then while there I would also ask the doctor to look at the lump.  I'm very bad about these things but I wouldn't get any physicals if it weren't for other problems.  It had been 5 years, I knew I had a kidney infection so off to the doctor I go for a physical. 
Parent - By Jen1979 [us] Date 2006-07-07 7:30 AM
It's probably nothing, but he should have it checked anyway.  There is no harm in going to the doctor, especially given the family history.
Parent - - By rabbitrunner Date 2006-07-07 7:53 AM
I'm not a doctor here, but here's a thought anyway.... Where exactly is the lump?  Because lymph nodes occur in specific places throughout the body.  If by "on his throat" you mean under or around the chin, or down the side of the neck, then that sounds like a lymph node, but if it's on the front of the throat, like by the adam's apple, I don't really think there are any lymp nodes there.  If it doesn't go away in a day or two, definately get it checked out.  Even if it is just a lymph node, it could be a sign of something more serious going on. 

Anyway, did a quick google search, and here is a pic of where lymph nodes occur on the head and neck area.  Maybe that will help? 

http://medicine.ucsd.edu/clinicalmed/head-lymphnodes2.JPG
Parent - - By Bunny Date 2006-07-07 7:59 AM
Wow and damn, you're good.

So if you look at that image the little lump is exactly where the last three posterior cervical lymph nodes are. I had discounted the lymph node possibility because I thought there were two or three large nodes on the neck. Thanks for the photo!!! (I'll drag him to the doctor if it doesn't go away in two days or so.)
Parent - By rabbitrunner Date 2006-07-07 10:26 AM
Does he have any cuts on his head or neck at all?  Sometimes even small cuts can cause an immune reaction like that in the head and neck lymph nodes.  Of course, viral infections like the cold or flu or more serious stuff like mono, lymes disease, lymphoma, etc could also be a cause.  Not to scare you or anything, but when the immunse system responds, it's usually for a reason.  If it hangs around for a while, keeps getting bigger, or he starts to feel bad in other ways, then it would probably be a good idea to see a doctor.
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2006-07-07 8:05 AM
So DF needs to buy me a bigger ring.  A guy from work just asked me out.  I briefly chatted w/ him at a charity breakfast yesterday (briefly as in he was serving the dinner) and he stopped by to ask if I were single. 
Parent - - By fridayfishfry [us] Date 2006-07-07 8:11 AM
I like your angle on getting a bigger ring! That is so funny. Do you think he really did not notice or did he forget to look?
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2006-07-07 9:15 AM
Actually he did notice.  I just thought I could work the angle.  The start of the conversation.

So are you <my name.>  Yessss.  I notice you have a ring so are you engaged.   Well yesssssss.   Well I was wondering if you would be interested in a date but I guess if you are engaged.  I respond saying well I moved down HERE for my fiance so I think that's a pretty strong commitment.
Parent - By Odyssey [us] Date 2006-07-07 9:17 AM
Yikes.  He's particularly thick-headed huh? 
Parent - By Beletoile [us] Date 2006-07-07 9:21 AM
Ha!  I wonder if this has been an approach that has worked for him in the past? 
Parent - By Samantha Date 2006-07-07 9:38 AM
:shocker!::laugh:
Parent - - By Pencils [us] Date 2006-07-07 10:18 AM
He might have been looking for a quick, no-strings "date," knowing that you're involved.  I've heard about that, guys who like going after engaged and married women, because it saves them from having real girlfriends.  It's very crappy behavior.  :mutmad:
Parent - - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2006-07-07 10:22 AM
Huh? Where are these men and how do I get me one? :laugh:
Parent - - By Pencils [us] Date 2006-07-07 10:32 AM
Bad Stormie!  Bad!  :wink:
Parent - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2006-07-07 10:35 AM
What?
Parent - - By JGrey Date 2006-07-07 8:57 AM
I cannot believe the number of men who don't check for rings.  I several times have held my left hand up near my face for long periods of time while getting hit on, but it usually takes an explicit reference to DH to get them to catch on. 

Though many people tell me that they see the ring and don't care, since their chance of success is just as high.  I know this happens in reverse, several of DHs friends say they got a LOT more attention once they had a wedding band. :meh:
Parent - - By Odyssey [us] Date 2006-07-07 9:02 AM
"Though many people tell me that they see the ring and don't care, since their chance of success is just as high.  I know this happens in reverse, several of DHs friends say they got a LOT more attention once they had a wedding band."

Isn't that nice?  :mutmad: 

In something a little off topic, I was hit on by high schoolers while I was running yesterday, and they also thought I was in high school myself (I'm almost 27).  :laugh:
Parent - - By JGrey Date 2006-07-07 9:46 AM
I think I was hit on by a highschooler yesterday too, but he did not think I was in highschool.  In fact, here's what happened-- I walk into the tire changing place, and the guy says to the secretary "Senior discount?" and the secretary says back to him "Does that turn you on?".  :wtf: The body language and everything suggested he'd watched me walk up to the door, realized when I got in the room that I'm old (um, 32) but was still ready to offer me a go. :laugh::meh::laugh: I played dumb.  I'm not sure whether to be offended or complimented, but I'm leaning toward complimented. It would have been better if he were cute.
Parent - By Odyssey [us] Date 2006-07-07 9:53 AM
:laugh:  "Senior Discount" :wtf:  Boys. 

I actually thought the guys were asking me for directions, b/c at first they said "excuse me miss" as they rolled down the window of their car.  Then, I realized that they were the same guys that I had seen playing basketball when I ran by the first time (while running with my BF).  As I started to run away after our brief conversation, they were like "No, don't go.  Hold up, hold up a minutue.  Aww man (as I kept running)." :laugh:
Parent - By Jen1979 [us] Date 2006-07-07 10:17 AM
I was  hit on by a high schooler at a race a couple weeks ago.  I don't wear my ring when I run, and I probably look a little younger than I am when I'm in running clothes, but give me a break.  I ended his fun by saying "Oh, you must be one of the kids that Marsha coaches at the high school" :laugh:
Parent - - By americangirl [us] Date 2006-07-07 10:57 AM
Did you drop to your knees and thank God for one of the greatest compliments you may ever be paid in your LIFE!!!!???
Parent - By Odyssey [us] Date 2006-07-07 11:41 AM
:laugh:
Parent - - By mmrocker13 [us] Date 2006-07-07 9:22 AM
I always wore rings on my ring fingers though, even before I was married.  (They are called RING fingers, after all)  So maybe the dude just figures, hey, maybe she's into jewlery--and if she's married, she'll say so.
Parent - By Odyssey [us] Date 2006-07-07 9:27 AM
True, but shouldn't a solitaire diamond on the left hand ring finger give him a clue?  I don't wear rings, so I don't know, but....
Parent - - By Jen1979 [us] Date 2006-07-07 10:15 AM
DH got hit on a lot more after we got married.  The dumb girls that hit on married men are attracted to them because they want a guy that is willing to settle down and get married.  I guess it doesn't dawn on them that if a married man dumps his wife to be with them, than he is also a worthless cheating pig.  Of course then these girls are getting what they deserve... at least until the man moves on to another dumb girl :laugh:

I have seen this happen many times...
Parent - By Odyssey [us] Date 2006-07-07 11:38 AM
Yes, but although the cheating husband may have cheated on his first wife, "it'll be different this time."  :meh:
Parent - By kerbear [us] Date 2006-07-07 9:32 AM
Ooh, please do let me know if this works for getting a bigger ring! :laugh:

Though I suspect if I tried that on my DH, he would just laugh : pbbt:
Parent - By KirstenD [de] Date 2006-07-07 9:36 AM
He's probably not so thick headed, as much as encouraged by those rare stories about how someone met someone else while engaged to another person, and 50 years later they are happily telling the story.  It happens.  Some engaged people aren't too committed.  I'd still make a run at getting a bigger ring.  : pbbt:
Parent - - By Odyssey [us] Date 2006-07-07 8:47 AM
Hey all--I finally found this place.  I didn't post often over on RW, but I've been around for awhile.  I think some of you may recognize me (formerly Iris42).  :happy:
Parent - - By runningbuff Date 2006-07-07 9:17 AM
Hi Iris42! I remember you! Welcome to the escapee forum. Glad you found it.
Parent - - By Odyssey [us] Date 2006-07-07 9:21 AM
Thanks!  I was sad when I couldnt' find it at first, but then I typed in something like "runnersworld" and escapee forum" on google, and I got it.  :grin:
Parent - By Samantha Date 2006-07-07 9:37 AM
So we can be found!!
Very cool, glad you made it! :grin:
Parent - - By Samantha Date 2006-07-07 9:25 AM
I finally had a date last night for dinner that I really enjoyed. And actually want to see him again! :shocker!:
And will. :evil:
Parent - - By Odyssey [us] Date 2006-07-07 9:27 AM
Yay!  That's excellent news!
Parent - - By Samantha Date 2006-07-07 9:36 AM
Thanks, it is indeed! I'd lost count of bad to awful first dates! :hug:

I can't believe there are 310 posts on the dailies! How cool is that??!
Love your name. :happy:
Parent - By Odyssey [us] Date 2006-07-07 9:44 AM
Thanks, I really wanted to change my old one, and finally came up with this!   
Parent - - By MetalChick Date 2006-07-07 11:08 AM
Sam--That's awesome!
Parent - By Samantha Date 2006-07-07 11:15 AM
Thanks. :grin:

I read about all your painting.. ugh. But, I bet it looks gorgeous, and I love the ski theme! I'm looking for snow shoes for above my fireplace. Skis for above the couch..etc. :happy:
Parent - By yaldah Date 2006-07-07 1:34 PM
HOORAY!!!!!! :cool:
Parent - - By Nini [us] Date 2006-07-07 10:22 AM
OK, I'm back from coaching the Open Row, it ended up being a lot more labor intensive that usual, I had two people who hadn't been in the racing double before but were ready to take it out, so I spent a lot of time hand holding with them.

Anyway, it's a rowing and sailing facility, and it was full of sailing kids playing in/around the port-a-potty, well, after they were all out on the water, I had to use the bathroom, so I opened the door to the port-a-potty, looked down... a HUGE PIECE OF SH!T on the floor :mutmad:  Do you have any idea how gross that is!?!  I had to call my boss to clean it up... they pay well... but not well enough to get me to clean up poop in the port-a-potty... I'm mad at whichever little punk did this :mutmad::mutmad::mutmad::mutmad: 
Parent - - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2006-07-07 10:27 AM
:cry:
Parent - By Nini [us] Date 2006-07-07 10:30 AM
Yeah, my boss and I had a "chat" with the director of sailing suggesting that *maybe* someone should supervise the kiddos
Parent - By Odyssey [us] Date 2006-07-07 11:37 AM
Um, ewww.  :mutmad:
Parent - - By Annie Date 2006-07-07 10:28 AM
I'm going to fucking kill my sister she took my work capris. I have been looking high and low for them and she never told me she took them when looking after my cat and needed soemthing dry to change into. Really I think any judge would excuse it as justifiable homicide.
Parent - - By MetalChick Date 2006-07-07 11:07 AM
It sucks that your sister did that, but isn't it cool that you can type "fucking kill"? : pbbt:
Parent - By Annie Date 2006-07-07 11:14 AM
Damn hell straight it is cool :evil:
Parent - By yaldah Date 2006-07-07 2:40 PM
Parent - - By pricklypear Date 2006-07-07 12:30 PM
Heehee.  My little brother, in a magnificent display of the Prickly family organizational skills,  flew out to Europe this morning with his baseball team for a week and a half, and realized when he landed that in his pocket he has both sets of keys to my mom's car.: pbbt:

Kerbear, my mom might need some advice from you on how to break into cars.:laugh:
Parent - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2006-07-07 12:36 PM
:shocker!:

What a guy thing to do.
Parent - - By MetalChick Date 2006-07-07 12:37 PM
That sounds exactly like something my DH would do--DH in that case would stand for Dick Head. :meh:
Parent - - By donnybrook [us] Date 2006-07-07 12:51 PM
It *is* something my partner did. :meh:
Parent - - By MetalChick Date 2006-07-07 12:59 PM
Why does this not surprise me. :meh:
Parent - By donnybrook [us] Date 2006-07-07 1:00 PM
Boys.  They are damn lucky to have us.
Parent - By kerbear [us] Date 2006-07-07 12:37 PM
Oh nooooooo, that's something I would do too. :blush:

Call AAA! They will break into anything!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By JGrey Date 2006-07-07 12:37 PM
Magnificent indeed!  hee.  He should be able to fedex them home in 2 days for a small fortune. 
Parent - - By pricklypear Date 2006-07-07 12:48 PM
I think Fedex is the current plan. 

Oh, and I don't think I mentioned that 2 days ago he got into a fender bender with my dad's car, so that one's out of commission too.

He's usually quite a responsible kid.  : pbbt:
Parent - - By JGrey Date 2006-07-07 12:52 PM
:shocker!: Does he have a skateboard your parents can use?   Is there a girl involved? Maybe that's where his head is. :)
Parent - By pricklypear Date 2006-07-07 12:56 PM
OMG...the image of my mom going to work on a skateboard.  :laugh:

Hehe, girl trouble was my first thought too.  Maybe it's time for a chat with his big sis. :happy:
Parent - - By Buggy [us] Date 2006-07-07 12:38 PM
Breaking in is the easy part! Do you know how to hotwire a car?
Parent - - By pricklypear Date 2006-07-07 12:54 PM
Actually, after interrupting a burglery in progress, that was the only way we could drive our car for a few weeks.
Parent - By Buggy [us] Date 2006-07-07 1:02 PM
Priceless! :cool:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2006-07-07 1:00 PM
Oh, no.  Fed Ex is a wonderful company. 

Or call the dealer, explain the situation, and see if they can get duplicates faster. 
Parent - - By Bunny Date 2006-07-07 12:56 PM Edited 2006-07-07 1:00 PM
Fashion question:

If I was wearing a cherry red corset, white silk top with lacy cuffs, black skirt, and black boots in a movie theater that's showing Pirates of the Caribbean 2, would you get that I was dressed as a pirate?

I have a small red velvet purse with the jolly roger on the side, but no pirate hat or pirate eye patch. I'm worried that the outfit isn't obvious enough.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2006-07-07 12:59 PM
Sure.  Anne Bonney.  Or Grania O'Neill. 

You might get asked if you were the pirate's moll, though.
Parent - - By JGrey Date 2006-07-07 2:24 PM
I would get it. It would be really great if you could come up with a parrot, though.

One of my favorite games to play around here on Halloween and Mardi Gras is "A Costume, or Just Their Outfit For the Day?"
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2006-07-07 4:28 PM
I was playing that at the anime convention last weekend.  "Are they meant to be a character, or did they just feel like dressing like that today?"
Parent - - By dangerousdan (bear terrorist) [us] Date 2006-07-07 1:18 PM
So there's a firm in Seattle that wants to interview me and a firm in Montana that wants to interview me.  Montana was supposed to call me Wednesday to schedule for the week of the 17th -- haven't heard a word and he hasn't even read my email (I know cause I get return receipts).  The Seattle firm was supposed to call and schedule this week and I haven't heard a word -- my headhunter is going to try calling them today.

Do you think they've changed their minds? :sad::cry::cry::cry::cry:  Or am I being impatient? :mischief:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2006-07-07 1:21 PM
No, I think the week of the Fourth is probably crisis mode and hiring has been pushed below other priorities temporarily.  But definitely have the headhunter touch base with them.
Parent - - By dangerousdan (bear terrorist) [us] Date 2006-07-07 1:23 PM
That's probably true.  It's a tough week also to schedule stuff if not everyone is in the office.

And as for Montana I just read this: http://www.dailyinterlake.com/articles/2006/07/07/news/news01.txt so that's an excuse for yesterday at least.
Parent - - By RainCityGirl [us] Date 2006-07-07 2:45 PM
Hey Danni!

When yer up here, let me know -- reebs and I can take you out!  We can get $4 cake at Just Desserts in Fremont. Yummmmm...  :D  :D
Parent - By dangerousdan (bear terrorist) [us] Date 2006-07-07 2:54 PM
I'll definitely let you know!  That would be awesome :hug::hug::hug:
Parent - - By donnybrook [us] Date 2006-07-07 1:53 PM
Ladies--this is a gold standard day on the forums.  The daily has reached 400 posts, we have the preggos (and Tessa) back in the house, and the Tour thread is dirtier than the sex thread.  I'd like to thank everyone who made this possible...
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2006-07-07 1:55 PM
***wipes tear from eye*** Thank you.  I've missed this.

Hold it.  Dirty thoughts on the Tour thread?  Sorry, the footie players are much more yummy IMHO.  However, since you mention it...
***running off to read the Tour thread***
Parent - By Odyssey [us] Date 2006-07-07 1:56 PM
:grin:  This is excellent news! 
Parent - - By yaldah Date 2006-07-07 1:57 PM
Whoah, the Tour thread?  Only this group of women could make cycling dirty.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2006-07-07 2:00 PM
It's not THAT bad.

No pictures could ever be as bad as the cycling outing I went on with a bunch of people from work...and one guy had on red Lycra shorts and also had a red bike seat cover.  Exactly the same shade.

I'm sure all you dirty minded ladies can figure out what the front part of the saddle looked like as it protruded from his groin area.  Everyone we rode by did a fast double take and stared openly.  I don't think anyone told him why until the end of the ride.
Parent - By donnybrook [us] Date 2006-07-07 2:11 PM
Red shorts... :meh:  Cycling shorts should be black and only black.  Unless you are a pro rider and then they can be any color.
Parent - By hikingal [us] Date 2006-07-07 1:58 PM
Now if only I could get Post Partum over here :cry:
Parent - - By MetalChick Date 2006-07-07 2:09 PM
Fabulous news, isn't it? I thought I would lurk on RWOL, but :meh: it's just...icky now.
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2006-07-07 2:46 PM
I agree, I was going to be a die-hard hold out to RW. But with none of the forum hogs to monitor things, it's just not fun anymore.
Parent - By Annie Date 2006-07-07 3:50 PM
I was getting saddened by the RW forums when I could be gone for hours and come back and there was 1 new post. And when my Tour thread over there went no where I knew it was time to leave. Despite Busy Cats excellent efforts :sad:
The Tour thread today has warmed my heart and other places :hug::evil:
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2006-07-07 2:28 PM
It is a good day.  Very happy to have our family all together and very entertaining threads the past few days. I just ordered OLN so I can watch the tour.  With all the cable stations we get, we still had to buy another set of stations to get OLN. Can't wait to watch.
Parent - - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2006-07-07 4:02 PM
Long live the Forum Hogs!
Parent - - By MetalChick Date 2006-07-07 4:05 PM
Hey. That's Fucking Forum Hogs and don't you forget it!

Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2006-07-07 4:27 PM
That adjective applies more to you than any of us, Madame 6-times-in-one-weekend.
Parent - By MetalChick Date 2006-07-07 4:28 PM
:laugh: :laugh:
Parent - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2006-07-07 4:30 PM
No doubt. :meh:
Up Topic Communities / Women / Friday NRR