Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / High Performance / Do you use a Heart Rate monitor and what Brand?
- - By TennesseeTuxedo [us] Date 2006-07-06 3:54 PM
...do you trust the most?

I've trained and cycled with a Polar for a while now and enjoy them. I thinks it's very beneficial to most of us...and even for cycling.
Tell me now, what you think and have you  found it to be helpful to you.

Also, how difficult did you find it to 'force' yourself to slow down in the traininng. I know I did...it seemed that I had to crawl to keep under 75% of my heart rate max.
Parent - - By joerunner (100 mile stud) Date 2006-07-10 8:55 AM
Tough to get a reply in High performance. I think all those guys were left behind.

I have a h/r (polar) monitor but rarely use it.  I'm sure it could be beneficial to my training if I used it correctly.  My running philosophy is that the more simple I can make it the more I enjoy it and the more I enjoy it the more I do it.
Parent - - By TennesseeTuxedo [us] Date 2006-07-11 8:38 AM
...joe, I think you're right...I know that the shoe forum folk have stuck around-the original spot that is!

...a little birdy told me that 'they' were giving away free shoes again...any luck?
Parent - By joerunner (100 mile stud) Date 2006-07-11 3:45 PM
Dam, I missed a give away.   I'm doing pretty good on shoes this year.  I am on my 4th pair of test shoes for Nike which is leaving me some nice room in my shoe budget.
Parent - By ehsiung [us] Date 2006-07-17 4:40 PM
I've used both Polar and Timex heart rate monitors and they both seem pretty reliable to me, never had a problem with either. However, I will say that I find the Polar strap more comfortable, the Timex one is somewhat stiff.
Parent - By neustkg (Important) Date 2006-07-19 12:12 AM
I run w/a Polar I bought in 98 and it is still going strong after 2 battery changes for the receiver, and one transmitter replacemtent due to dead battery.  I usually use it every day, especially in the hot weather.  It can be difficult to slow yourself down, but I'm running at a very slow pace right now, anyway.
Parent - By hermit_crab [us] Date 2006-07-19 5:36 PM
I have a Polar something or other.

I find HRMs very useful for cycling (I used to race in mountain biking,) but I find them annoying for running.  While running, I'd much rather use perceived effort.  I think that's harder to do on a bike because of the... bike. 

The Polar model I have worked great until it came time to replace the battery.  When I opened the compartment, parts went flying everywhere, and I realized it wasn't very well-designed.  If I ever buy another HRM, I"ll buy something else.
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2007-02-23 5:11 AM
I have a Timex ironman.
It works fine. Used to use it a lot, but nowadays I run on perceived effort too.
The point is that after awhile you kinda know what your HR is while running without having to check the HRM.
Up Topic Training / High Performance / Do you use a Heart Rate monitor and what Brand?