Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Injuries / Starting over after achilles tendonitis
- - By mamarunner2 Date 2011-09-09 10:30 AM
I've been suffering for one year with insertion-point AT and ankle bursitis on my left side.  I have been pain-free for 2 weeks now and thinking about how to restart running.  I am an experienced runner (20+ years) and was at 40-50mpw, doing about 80% roads, 20% trails before the injury.  I have an extra 6 lbs to get rid of, although aerobically I'm in pretty good shape from cycling all summer.  I'm not too worried about progressing my mileage or having motivation--I'm really looking forward to running again--I'm just undecided on how I should alter my form to prevent this from happening again. 

I have custom orthotics to correct my overpronation on my affected side, but I hate them.  I can't feel the ground at all when I wear them. I have dabbled in barefooting over the summer and had some success (meaning no achilles pain during or after barefooting up to 20 minutes), but I live in a neighborhood and near trails where going full on barefoot would be nearly impossible due to the condition of the roads and rocks/debris on the trail.  I don't care to run in Vibrams.  I have read about Chi and Pose methods to encourage a mid-foot strike but I'm concerned I won't do it properly, and there is no coach or program near me.

Anyone else had an opportunity to change their footstrike, without coaching, after a lay-off and been successful?
Parent - By aliengin [us] Date 2011-10-19 1:22 PM
Anyone else had an opportunity to change their footstrike, without coaching, after a lay-off and been successful? .

I ruptured my achilles during a race and had surgery. A month later, I slipped and fell down ripped everything off including a second total rupture. Second surgery took about 3 hours. Its been a year since my second surgery. I lost 60% of the muscle on my left calf due to not being able to use it. I had intense 8 month physical theraphy (3x a week) and now I have an implant on my left achilles.
I was a heel striking overpronator and now I am a mid foot natural runner. If you want to ask questions just email me if you like. But almost all of my physical theraphy was done to correct my gait and get me back to running. Most of the training done on the hips and knees. Once I was able to walk and jog slowly they started working on my form.
I use 4 mm raise shoes., I used to run in Kayanos and all sorts of Stability trainers now I only use Kinvara and Brooks Pure Project shoes.
Up Topic General / Injuries / Starting over after achilles tendonitis