Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Central Illinois - Ankah?
- - By ry8564 [us] Date 2006-07-05 12:31 PM
Hi Ankah!  I heard from skibabe you live in the Central Illinois area :happy:

My boyfriend and I are moving there in August (Galesburg to be exact).  I've been doing some research on local races, running clubs, etc but I'm looking for some input from someone who is in the area.  Any good long run trails?  Any local races I should think about doing? Thanks!
Parent - - By Ankah Date 2006-07-05 1:11 PM
Hi, Welcome to IL! I'm in Bloomington-Normal. Galesburg is not my neck of the woods, but they have a running club: http://grrc.net
I've never done one of their races. It's pretty far west of me, about 1.5 hours. I do get to Peoria for races, and the Illinois Valley Striders (Peoria) come to our races a lot--their club, our club (Lake Run Club), and the Kennekuk Runners (E. Illinois--Danville) are major partiers in Central IL. They all have great post-race parties with beer (or ice cream and cookies)!

Where are you moving from? I must warn you...we have both extremes: hot, humid summers and cold, wet winters. :meh:

Any questions you have about IL, feel free to ask away! You can reach me at Ankahgirl at aol dot com.

Aimee
Parent - By skibabe Date 2006-07-05 1:13 PM
I love bringing people together :laugh:
Parent - By ry8564 [us] Date 2006-07-05 1:40 PM
Thanks Aimee!  I couldn't find the Galesburg running club, so that helps a lot.  We are moving from the DC Metro area, but my boyfriend grew up in Galesburg, went to Knox College, etc.  I'm definitely nervous about the winters and all the snow. 

I was worried there wouldn't be much of a running community but after visiting all the running club sites, I'm pretty excited.  Also glad to hear they serve ice cream and cookies! 
Parent - By Jeri Brown [us] Date 2006-07-06 2:21 PM
Here is the Web site of the Galesburg Running Club

http://www.grrc.net/

You will get there too late but; the best two races in the area are the Bix 7 in July at Davenport, Iowa and a 4 mile race in Peoria which I believe is also in July.  Both attract the best Elite runners in the World.  Another good near by race is the Hog Days Stampede in Kewanee Labor Day week end. It is 4 miles and gives great 8 1/2" by 11" Age Group awards. Moderately flat course.  It is a great race and the Pork Chop sandwiches after the race are excellent.
Up Topic Communities / Women / Central Illinois - Ankah?