Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Travel / FINALLY the Teton-Yellowstone Adventure with pics
- - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2010-07-16 6:30 PM
Sorry, this is late especially to my friends I've been promising for over 3 weeks.:blush: Cutting down over 400 incredible pics to around 100 was near impossible. And adding captions and making slideshows. And then I started posting a report on L&O last night but when almost done with linkies and everything I lost it by accident, oops.:cry::blush: But I can hide this here tonight just as well as on weekend L&O so here ya go fwiw.:laugh:

oh some of this is almost RR...anybody who doesn't like that can suck it.:mutmad:

To immediately bore you, here are the vacation slides:
On the way from Salt Lake City to the Tetons
Our first full day in the tetons
Last day in the tetons:sad:
into Yellowstone with geothermals
at Mammoth Hot Springs
busy day
canyon day
last day :(
to Salt Lake City via Idaho
Park City and Salt Lake City

So ok we got back from an incredible vacation with mrs. flamus and our kid to Wyoming.:hug: Well Utah and Idaho were really good too. Somehow we survived essentially being disconnected from the world, mostly lacking cell, internet and tv. :shocker!: And somehow survived spending almost every minute with each other 24/7 for 12 days. :laugh:  The kid since has been to Massachusetts the last couple weeks and we've been working blah blah.  Instead of writing the book this vacation deserves, a few snippets (most pics above and sprinkled in here were taken by young flamus...he's got a good eye)

From our first glimpse of the teton range to the last, those damn mountains had our hearts.:hug: Yellowstone turned out to be incredible too but the tetons were +1.

In the Tetons was my third favorite run on the trip.  We stayed at Coulter Bay, and the 11-mile trail trip to Hermitage Point and back filled with wonderful trail and great views was interrupted on the way back by a mule deer blocking my path, although she graciously moved a few feet off the trail to let me by. :cool:

Coulter Bay is an awesome place to stay, not like the other lodges wouldn't be.

We saw a grizzly on our first full day in the Tetons and I thought of dangerousdan. :laugh: Tim almost ran into a mama grizz and her 4 cubs on a 15 mile trail run our last day in Yellowstone except a dude taking pics from the trail stopped him from behind.:shocker!:

For those of you who never have seen the Grand Teton range up close in person, put it on your bucket list. Words can't describe and pictures cannot capture the majesty constantly making your heart skip and breath catch.  It wasn't uncommon driving in the park for one of us simply to say "oh my god!" or "holy shit!" or something and that's all that needed to be said. I would get chills sometimes. Am right now at the moment, thinking of it.

We wanted to rent a canoe at Jenny Lake but couldn't because the water is instant-hypothermia-cold so they aren't renting yet. :mutmad: But we took a shuttle to the base of Mt. St. John and the strenuous hike to Inspiration Point was worth it for the views and a cool picnic lunch complete with microbrews lugged up the mountain. Check out the pics in the slideshow if you haven't.:mischief:

Speaking of microbrews, the kid and I enjoyed at least a couple every night, reaffirming just how good the western brews are. :grin: We had an endless variety of WY, ID and MT brews, all of them excellent! :cool: Teton Amber by Grand Teton Brewing, Snake River Pale by Snake River Brewing, Bent Nail IPA by Red Lodge:hug:, Moose Drool Brown by Big Sky, Bitch Creek ESB by Grand Teton Brewing:laugh::cool:, Black Butte Porter by Deschutes oops thats from OR I think, Lone Peak Nitro Pale by Big Sky, Select Amber by Bozone (Bozeman MT):laugh::cool::laugh:, and so many more. Both Tim and I were regretting a couple days from the end that we didn't write down all the brews we had because they were ALL great!

And speaking of Montana, the last Thursday while we were staying at Yellowstone the three of us drove to Bozeman for dinner and to watch the NBA final, at a really cool place with a million great beers on tap.  Montana peeps are totally with-it, way more hip than most easterners. One funny thing was that 80% of the guys in the place had beards of some type...the kid and I felt totally at home with our scruffs. :laugh:

We stayed at Mammoth Hot Springs in the northern part of Yellowstone and did other stuff from there.  On the way up from the Tetons we saw most of the geothermal stuff and then had 5 days for all kinds of things around the park including eating at the different lodges for lunch and dinner,  Favorite lodge easily was the Old Faithful Lodge (tour of that was fascinating) and favorite meal easily would be the ribs at Roosevelt Lodge.:grin:

Favorite run easily was an early morning 6 miler from Mammoth, the Beaver Pond trail. After a tough but beautiful 1 mile hill up a gorge with 360 ft. elevation gain, the rest of the run changed literally moment to moment, making time stand still.:hug: A series of overlooks, forest greenery, beaver ponds, each one different, ducks on a mountain lake, sagebrush meadows (I have pics but didn't upload:cry:, etc. etc. etc. Like I said, it changed moment to moment...every moment was incredible and different and that's why time stood still.:cool:

My second favorite run was an 8 miler on the canyon rim trail along both rims of the Yellowstone grand canyon. Multiple waterfalls from different angles, three 300-500 foot descents into the canyon (and leg-busting ascents out). Not packing water in the dry high-elevation, I never was so glad to see mrs. flamus and the kid in the car WITH WATER a couple miles from the end. :laugh: The kid had run a different trail and was done, as speedy as he is. I HAD to run the rim trail because when I was a kid I really wanted to hike it, an idea nixed by my parents at the time. :sad: This MORE than made up for that. :grin: I didn't pack a camera but wife and kid did, so check out the slideshow for the canyon day if you haven't already.:happy:

There were other runs which couldn't help but be wonderful as well, all on trail in different settings. Usually in the early morning. I was hoping to run into a moose on one of the runs but never did. We saw just about every other form of wildlife imaginable. These parks truly are treasures for a lot of reasons.:cool::hug:

Oh and there was one last great run the day before we came home. Park City UT is freaking awesome in the summertime tho I would have loved to ski it when I skied.:shocker!::cool: But it was a most excellent brutal high altitude run on the mountain biking trails they have wound through the slopes, mostly under trees. And the town is cute too and has good beer with wife and son after a great run.:laugh: No pics for the run but check out the slideshow for the town.:happy:

I really, REALLY didn't want to come home after this trip.

ok that's it, peeps. Thanks for reading and looking however much you did of either. :happy:
Parent - - By HardwoodRunner [us] Date 2010-07-16 8:44 PM
Holy shit!!! :hug::hug::hug:
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2010-07-17 3:23 PM
:laugh: That pretty well summed it up in a lot fewer words, bro.:laugh::hug:
Parent - - By Trinity (Troublemaker) Date 2010-07-16 8:56 PM
wow jasz what an incredible vacation you guys had:shocker!::cool:  love love all the pictures, they're all great.  i think my favorites are the photos of the waterfalls.  and wow y'all had a lot of different microbrews:laugh:

some friends did a trip up there too but they rented a motorhome and even did a race while they were there.  and we used to ski at park city, I agree it's really nice over there.

thanks for sharing!:hug:  i bet that will be a memory of a lifetime for y'all but most especially for tim.
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2010-07-17 3:29 PM
If I could have listed all the microbrews the report would have doubled.:blush: But thanks, and yeah the waterfalls in the canyon and elsewhere are incredible.:cool:

It really was a memory for a lifetime, trin...thanks.:hug: Oh and this probably was the last family vacation with Tim which of course made it extra special for all of us.:hug:
Parent - - By Gazelle [us] Date 2010-07-16 10:04 PM
So jealous
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2010-07-17 3:31 PM
You and sugar SO have to do this!:grin::hug: Although I suspect that he already has.:wtf: Anyhow, do it!
Parent - - By badlands_bob Date 2010-07-17 6:01 AM
:cool::cool::cool:

Thanks for posting this . . . :cool: . . .
Parent - By jaszflamus (I like wool!) Date 2010-07-17 3:33 PM
Hey you're welcome, badlands...and good to see you around.:happy:
Parent - By zeppos [us] Date 2010-07-19 7:08 AM
What a wonderful family vacation Jim & great photos, thanks for sharing.  A nice combination of family time, beautiful scenery, good running & new brews. 
We all need to disconnect from time to time.

Glad you liked Bozeman, I'm sort of partial to that area.
Parent - By neustkg (Important) Date 2010-07-19 2:39 PM Edited 2010-07-19 2:41 PM
Nice!

We just finished a 2 week trip to Oregon/Washington states with a drive through southern WY and southern Idaho.  You probably drove part of the same highway we drove (I-84 to I-15).
Parent - By joerunner (100 mile stud) Date 2010-07-21 8:17 AM
That is an awesome trip report and pictures jasz.:happy:  You really got me day dreaming here, thanks.:roll:
Parent - By sideshowbob Date 2010-08-17 11:07 AM
Fantastic,Jasz--thanks for sharing  :cool::grin:
Parent - By Dryad Date 2010-08-24 2:39 AM
Thanks for sharing your vacation pics with us.  Looked like such a great time together.  So beautiful. :hug:
Parent - By mikegames [us] Date 2010-11-30 7:23 AM
We buy cheap <B>Nike Air Max 90</B>, <B>Nike Air Max 90 Mens Boot Brown Blue Red</B> is in a very classical <B>Nike Air Max 2011</B>, choose your favorite favorite <B>Nike Dunk</B>. <B>Nike Air Force 1 High</B> is technology developed by Nike and incorporated into several of their flagship athletic shoes.Nike company also produced a few to women's nike shox shoes.Meanwhile <B>[url=http://www.picknikeshoe.com/nike-shox/nike-shox-womens-shoes.html">Nike Shox Womens Shoes[/url]</B> also receives a lot of women's favor.buy<B><B>Nike Dunk Low Pemium Notebook Edition Black White</B></B> in picknikeshoe.com, We offer safe delivery and best service,low price and good quality.
Up Topic General / Travel / FINALLY the Teton-Yellowstone Adventure with pics