Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / LuckyDog is Back in the House!
- - By LuckyDog [us] Date 2006-07-05 9:09 AM
Hey!  Is this where everyone is now?

I'm back at work today, and therefore, back at a computer!

Knee surgery went okay. There was actually a plethera of things that the surgeon had to do.

Debride the necrotic tissue off the Patellar Tendon. This was my initial complaint. While inside, he found and repaired:
Torn medial meniscus, bone spur behind Patellar tendon, and a hole worn in my femoral condyle. You'll have to look that one up. It's the round knobby portion at the bottom of my femur. Go figure things hurt.

Anyway, I'm on crutches for about 6 weeks total (2 down, 4 to go) and in a straight leg splint. I've got two incisions, one from the arthroscopy camera and one from the repair work, about 2 inches long. I can bend 90 degrees but can't bear more than 25% weight on it.

I don't know when I'll be able to run again, probably a good while away. I can't drive yet either, as this is my right leg.

What else? It's nice to be back with some human company again, and to have computer access again. The trailer gets a little confining.

My house is coming along okay. I've got a cement foundation now and hopefully, the 12" x 12" - 8 foot high cement columns will come this week. The builder still tells me I'll be in the house in mid to late August.

Hope everyone is well here.

LuckyDog
Parent - - By donnybrook [us] Date 2006-07-05 9:12 AM
Wow.  No wonder your knee hurt.  Great news on the house.  Mid-August is just around the corner.  Rest up.  When do you start physical therapy?
Parent - By LuckyDog [us] Date 2006-07-05 9:14 AM
Hey Donny!   I started PT last week. So far, it's been a breeze.  I have a "tens" (sp?)  unit that I'm supposed to use 3 times a day.  I've been good about doing it about twice a day, so far.  And I have a bunch of exercises to do, straight leg lifts, etc.  

I now have 4 different forum discussion groups on my Favorites.  Is this the right one to show up for every day?
Parent - - By fridayfishfry [us] Date 2006-07-05 9:12 AM
Hey Lucky Dog, glad to see you back.  I know you were waffling before the surgery, but I bet now that you know all that was wrong you are glad you did it.  How are you feeling compared to what you expected after the surgery?  How are you getting around without driving?
Parent - By LuckyDog [us] Date 2006-07-05 9:16 AM
Upon the kindness of strangers, FFF.  No, I guess, upon the kindness of friends.   Since I live at the hospital where I work, it makes going to work and Dr's appointments a lot easier.   Then, if I need a grocery run, I can usually find someone to take me, or just pick up what I need.  So far, it's been working out really well.   The Doc said I could drive as soon as I feel like I could jam my foot on the brake, in an emergency.  That may be a while.
Parent - - By slowgirl Date 2006-07-05 9:16 AM
Hi Lucky!  Glad to see you around.  :hug:  Wow, a lot of work on your knee.  I don't quite understand it all, but it sounds like a lot!

I think we've pretty much abandoned RT, so everybody's either here or at RWOL. 
Parent - By LuckyDog [us] Date 2006-07-05 9:19 AM
Hey Slowgirl,  I did go and check out that google site.  I finally got approved, after the google verification email kept getting sucked up into my bulk mail folder.   I like it here better.   What can I say?  I'm a "nester."
Parent - By fridayfishfry [us] Date 2006-07-05 9:17 AM
It seems like many are here. Running Times seemed pretty dead.  RW still has some, but has changed a lot.
Parent - - By Caylynn Date 2006-07-05 9:20 AM
Welcome back! :)

Good luck with the PT.
Parent - By LuckyDog [us] Date 2006-07-05 1:06 PM
Thanks!
Parent - - By magali [fr] Date 2006-07-05 9:37 AM
Hey Girl,

Welcome back !
Missed you and I was wondering how you were doing.
Glad to know you are well and the house is going okay.

Take care
Parent - By LuckyDog [us] Date 2006-07-05 1:07 PM
Thanks Magali.  I'm hanging in there!
Parent - - By noquitter [us] Date 2006-07-05 9:44 AM
I think it's probably a good thing you had that surgery. Best of luck to you in your recovery.
I'm thinking it was a good thing too.  Thanks noquitter!
Parent - - By Jen1979 [us] Date 2006-07-05 9:51 AM
That sounds like quite a surgery.  You sound like you are in good spirits though, and hopefully your positive outlook will help you to heal quickly.  Its good to have you back.
I've missed all you folks too!
Parent - - By Pencils [us] Date 2006-07-05 9:56 AM
Hey, Lucky!

Wow, your knee sounded bad.  But it's great that it's done and you're recovering.  Running can wait, you need to heal.  Only two incisions is great.  Less to heal, fewer scars.

It's great that your foundation was poured.  Must be very exciting.  This is a modular, right?  My sister is thinking of getting a modular to replace the rotting cottage on her beach house property. She was going to renovate it, but then found out that the whole thing needed to be rebuilt. 

Glad to see you here.  There's been some issues with the forums, but most of the old-timers, except the OS people, the real old-timers, seem to be here.
Parent - By LuckyDog [us] Date 2006-07-06 6:18 AM
Hi Pencils!   Tell your sister to really check into Modular homes.  They are a lot of home for the buck and can be built very sturdily.  Mine is rated at 130 mph wind resistance!

:cool:
Parent - - By lovelylisa Date 2006-07-05 10:00 AM
Hey Lucky,
So nice to hear from you. Sorry the surgery was more invasive than you thought, but that's great that you got it fixed. Good luck with PT!
Parent - By LuckyDog [us] Date 2006-07-06 6:19 AM
Oh, I'm just glad he caught everything.   I had a feeling there was more to it than just the patellar tendinitis.  Everytime the doc would ask me to pinpoint exactly where it hurt, and I didn't point dead center, he'd get a little furl in his brow, like he didn't understand.  I guess we know why now.
Parent - - By yaldah Date 2006-07-05 10:04 AM
YAY!!!!

Good LORD, Melissa, I guess now we know why you had so much pain, huh? Sheez. I'm glad you got it done. And hey, you'll get some nice upper body muscles from the crutches.
Parent - By LuckyDog [us] Date 2006-07-05 1:06 PM
Yup.  I'm getting a serious upper body workout! 
Parent - - By Samantha Date 2006-07-05 10:05 AM
Good to "see" you!!
Wow, good thing you had surgery despite the fact it didn't hurt right before, huh?? You'll be better than new before you know it!

Very nice about your house too. You'll be in it before you know it!
:cool:
Parent - By LuckyDog [us] Date 2006-07-06 6:21 AM
Thanks Samantha!   It's good to "see" everyone here again, also!
Parent - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2006-07-05 12:22 PM
Wow. I didn't have to look any of those terms up. No wonder your knee was hurting. Hope the recovery goes well!
Parent - - By Crazy Mex [at] Date 2006-07-05 12:49 PM
Good to "see" you!
Best wishes,
CM
Parent - By LuckyDog [us] Date 2006-07-06 6:21 AM
Thanks CM!:cool:
Parent - - By brandila [us] Date 2006-07-05 1:45 PM
Hey luckydog - good to "see" you back!!  Sounds like the surgery was very neccesary after all.  4 weeks will be over before you know it!!
Parent - By LuckyDog [us] Date 2006-07-06 6:23 AM
Hey thanks Brandila!   I'm keeping my fingers crossed! 
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2006-07-05 3:19 PM
Great to see you back!  You must have went stir crazy sitting in the trailer.  So cool that the house is coming along and ho[e yor contractor is right about August.  Follow t=he PT's orders and you'll be back in no time.
Jeannie
Parent - By LuckyDog [us] Date 2006-07-06 6:25 AM
Luckily, I have direct tv and was able to spend some time at some friends' house over the long weekend, so it wasn't terrible.  a buddy came over and we went out to lunch and the to the grocery store on Sunday, so that kind of broke it up a little bit.
Parent - - By freps Date 2006-07-05 3:23 PM
ucky-lay oawg-day!  Welcome back to civilization.  SO glad your surgery went well, and that you are looking at home completion relatively soon.  Cannot imagine being confined to a trailer with limited mobility.  You win the macho forumite award for the month.

As for the plethora of things-- did they charge you extra?  It's like going in for an oil change and having your carbourater rebuilt! 

Keep working at the PT, and glad to hear from you!
Parent - By LuckyDog [us] Date 2006-07-06 6:32 AM
Yo! Freps!   The trailer hasn't been too awful, other than no computer/internet access.   It's a small space to move around in, which is better for my hands and shoulders (crutches hurt).  I can hop on one leg from one end to the other.  And Last week, I would go in to the cafeteria and meet my peeps for lunch, so that broke up the days too.

I haven't gotten the bill for the surgery yet, so we'll see if they charged me extra :wink:

How are YOU doing?
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2006-07-05 5:13 PM
Good to see you again! And wow on the surgery... I'm so glad you're recovering well.  And doing so well on the PT too :grin:   But it must be hard without driving.
On the forum shake-up... yes, this is where most of the people are posting their dailies and the usual NRR thread.  Some are still at RWOL and some are hopping between the two.  You'll have to keep us posted on the house construction; getting the foundation poured is a huge step! Makes it seem so much more real. 
Again, welcome back!
Parent - By LuckyDog [us] Date 2006-07-06 6:35 AM
Yes, the not driving part is killing me.   Especially on weekends.   I'm thinking of sitting in my truck this weekend to see if I can depress the brakes.

This forum is much better than RWOL and I hope everyone migrates over here!
Parent - - By Flutopia [us] Date 2006-07-05 5:53 PM
Hi Lucky Dog!

Congrats on getting through the surgery. No wonder your knee hurt! I bet you're glad that you did it-there's no way all of that would have healed by itself.

Good luck on your house. It must be a relief to see the work progressing, and knowing you'll be able to move back home.:grin:
Parent - By LuckyDog [us] Date 2006-07-06 6:36 AM
Thanks Flutopia!
Parent - - By swandive [us] Date 2006-07-05 5:55 PM
Hey Lucky, good to see you again. :)  Glad to hear that the surgery went well.  Good luck with recovery.  I know that not being able to drive can't be fun.

So exciting to hear that the house is started!  Once you get the foundation in, a crew of half a dozen should be able to get the house framed pretty quickly.

BTW, yes a lot of us are here.  Some have stayed at RW (I think RT is just about dead), but I've found that a lot of old-timers have migrated.  I still lurk over on RW sometimes, but spend more time here.
Parent - - By LuckyDog [us] Date 2006-07-06 6:39 AM
Swandive?   Now you'll have to come up with a story as to how you came up with that name!

Actually, CofP, it's a Modular home.  It's being built in Atlanta, as-we-speak!   It should arrive on two trucks in a couple of weeks and will be placed up on the columns/supports but a giant crane.  It will be something awesome to see.  I will take many pictures (can we post pictures on this forum?).  Everyone in my office has sworn to take the day off, when they deliver it, because they all want to see i
Parent - - By swandive [us] Date 2006-07-06 7:44 AM
Duh, I remember you posting your houseplan and all of that a while ago.  Duh.  A modular should get done even faster than a stick-built house. :)  Is everything going to be done when it arrives as far as sheetrock, cabinets, and all the rest?  I know they'll have to do some siding, roofing, and work at the marriage walls.

About my name, yup Swandive.  Creature of Passion was too long, so I had to come up with something else.  Swandive is one of my favorite songs: http://www.danah.org/Ani/LittlePlasticCastle/Swandive.html
Parent - By LuckyDog [us] Date 2006-07-06 9:34 AM
Yes, everything will be done, except roof, carpet, appliances, light fixtures, electrical and plumbing hookups, etc.   They'll take about 4 weeks to have all that put together when the house arrives.  Actually the roof is on, it's just folded down flat for travelling.   The sheetrock will be in place and if any cracks occur during the trip, they'll fix them once the house is in place.

I'm going to go listen to Swandive right now.
Parent - - By smiling sara [us] Date 2006-07-05 9:37 PM
Very nice to see you, and hear about the progress on the knee and the house!

Sounds like you'll be back to mobile just in time for your move-in - how exciting!
Parent - By LuckyDog [us] Date 2006-07-06 6:43 AM
Hey Sara!    Yup, it looks like I'll be all ready to climb all those stairs when the house is done : pbbt:
Parent - - By Laris [us] Date 2006-07-06 4:32 AM
Lucky!  Good to see you back!

Sounds like you got the four-for-one knee surgery special.  Oof. 

Hope your recovery- and the home building process- continue to go smoothly.
Parent - By LuckyDog [us] Date 2006-07-06 6:44 AM
Hi Laris, I'm just glad he found everything he did.   Can you imagine if he'd missed some little part of that, like the bone spur, and then I'd started running again?   That would suck.
Parent - - By SeeKathyRun [us] Date 2006-07-06 4:51 AM
Welcome back. It's amazing with all that damage you were even able to run. Wishing you a speedy recovery and just because your not running doesn't mean you can't post here (but you already know that).
Parent - By LuckyDog [us] Date 2006-07-06 6:45 AM
Yes, you all have always made me feel welcome here.  I appreciate that.   Thanks Kathy!
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2006-07-07 9:41 AM
LD, question.  Did you opt for the spinal or a general?
Parent - - By LuckyDog [us] Date 2006-07-07 11:11 AM
General.   Happy Juice, is what they called it, I believe.   The last thing I remember was a guy saying "let's just put this 'oxygen' mask over your face".  nighty-night.   I apparently had a  little heart-rate and blood pressure problem during the surgery.  But I've yet to get all the details on this part of it.  When I woke up, I heard one nurse saying "her heart rate is back to normal now".   I can't wait to hear what happened.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2006-07-07 11:14 AM
Given that you're a runner/biker, it may have been a problem with your HR and BP dropping too low rather than going up.  Yes, agreed, definitely find out what happened.

I'm leaning towards the spinal, what swayed your decision?  Or were you offered a choice?
Parent - By LuckyDog [us] Date 2006-07-07 11:20 AM
No, they never asked me which I prefered.  As long as I didn't know what was happening while it was happening, that's all I cared about.
Up Topic Communities / Women / LuckyDog is Back in the House!