Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / General Training / 2010 Training Week 11
- - By slavin [us] Date 2010-03-15 9:33 AM
I'm taking the first couple of days off this week because I strained something by cramming all my mileage into 3 days last week.  Not very smart.  I'm aiming for 30 this week provided the strain goes away. 

Have fun in Oregon Kevin!! 
Parent - By neustkg (Important) Date 2010-03-15 1:48 PM Edited 2010-03-15 1:52 PM
Well, I'm still here until next Sunday.  I'm hoping to get at least 25 this week and maybe 25 the next, which will put me at or near 100 for the month.  I need to get on a google pedometer site and figure out a decent route while I'm there.
Parent - - By neustkg (Important) Date 2010-03-15 1:51 PM
7.1 miles today.  I was so geared up at 10 am.  I thought it was 10 am and I'd have 2 hours to do a 10 miler.  2 miles in, I realized I had started at 11am (didn't set my watch ahead), and I would at best be able to do 7 in the time I actually had as I had to pick up my daughter from preschool at 1pm. 

Pace was 9:44, and it didn't feel that hurried (except during the last 0.25 miles).  I think I can safely say I've broken the 10 minute/mile mark for my easy run.  Hoping to start getting down to 9:30 now (for 5-7 miles, that is--not sure what I can do a 10 miler in right now as I haven't done one in about a month) for my fast runs.
Parent - - By slavin [us] Date 2010-03-15 2:05 PM
You're speedy!!!  :happy:
Parent - By neustkg (Important) Date 2010-03-15 2:12 PM
I have to say that training w/the Garmin 205 out here (we really have no trees or real valleys/canyons where I run) is very accurate and makes training fairly scientific..
Parent - - By neustkg (Important) Date 2010-03-16 4:24 PM
4.3 miles in 9:34min/mile.  Didn't run w/the Garmin as it said battery low (it most likely would have cut out during the first mile).
Parent - - By slavin [us] Date 2010-03-17 12:26 PM
HELP!  I hurt my groin doing the two ten milers last week.  :sad:

Rested it 3 days and...nope, still hurts.  Did you ice or anything??  How do I fix it?
Parent - - By neustkg (Important) Date 2010-03-17 12:40 PM Edited 2010-03-17 12:46 PM
Gentle stretching.  You can ice it, which would probably help a lot, but I didn't and I could run (with a slight limp and very slowly) around 3 to 4 days later.  After a week, pain was pretty much gone.  The way to do it is walk fast or slowly run about a half mile (to warm the muscle) then do the groin stretch.  You can also take ibuprofen or Tylenol to help with the pain, but be careful not to take NSAIDs before a run. 

Here's a good video (I'd say do 3 sets and hold for 30 seconds):

http://www.ehow.com/video_4460173_do-groin-stretches.html

The butterfly stretch is also very good for that.  There's a video on the site above for it. 

Doing the high mileage (I think I went from 25-28 one week to 37 the next week) too fast is what did it for me.  Be careful after the pain is gone.  The muscle may still be damaged and it's probably a good idea to keep stretching and/or do some strength building exercises later, maybe using the circuit machines.

I have to say I probably ran through the pain during the week after the pull, with each day getting progressively better.  Pace was way off, but I made sure to go slow.  A week after, there was a tiny bit of pain, but I could run normal pace, and didn't try to go faster until about a week later.
Parent - - By slavin [us] Date 2010-03-17 1:09 PM
Thanks!!  I can run through it but it hurts pretty badly and is actually sending pain all down my leg.  I'll stretch and try again in a couple more days.  Sigh.
Parent - - By neustkg (Important) Date 2010-03-17 1:35 PM
When I ran on it with the pain still there, it was kind of a limping motion.  The stretching really helps, and is something you should do before every run.  I'd give it a go tomorrow, actually.  You can always do a run/walk.
Parent - By slavin [us] Date 2010-03-17 1:38 PM
Okay...I'll try again tomorrow and just slow it way down.  Thanks!  :happy:
Parent - By neustkg (Important) Date 2010-03-17 12:43 PM
8.11 miles in 9:41 min/mile.  Did 6.32 in an hour, my fastest one hour run so far.  But I kind of fell apart during the last two miles (they were pretty much uphill anyway) and had to walk a little on the last mile.  I could have gotten close to 9:30, but it's probably better I slowed down that last two miles.
Parent - By neustkg (Important) Date 2010-03-18 3:27 PM
6.12 miles in 9:38 min/mi.  Today might be it for the week for me (25.6 miles so far).  We're getting a decent snowstorm tomorrow.  If I can switch gears and stand to wear some colder weather gear, I'll probably go out for a slow 4.5miler or so to make it an even 30 for the week, and make up for the lower mileage last week.
Parent - By neustkg (Important) Date 2010-03-19 1:43 PM
5.3 miles on the indoor track in 9:33 min/mile.  Makes 31 miles for the week.  I'm glad I'm entering miles and pace here as yesterday's run wasn't entered in my runningahead.com data.

I'm at right around 76 miles for the month.  Next week I'll probably try for 20 over 2 or 3 days (I figured out a 10 miler from my inlaw's place).  But if I can't get 20, I'll still probably have 2 days left the next week to make some of it up to get 100 for the month.
Parent - - By slavin [us] Date 2010-03-24 9:20 AM
Just one mile for me...my groin still hurts.  I'm still limping. 
Parent - - By neustkg (Important) Date 2010-03-25 5:53 PM
Do you feel like you are getting a little better?
Parent - - By slavin [us] Date 2010-03-25 7:26 PM
Not at all.  :meh::sad:
Parent - - By neustkg (Important) Date 2010-03-28 9:48 PM
I just got back to civilization.  Any improvement (hoping, hoping)?:hug:
Parent - - By slavin [us] Date 2010-03-29 6:09 PM
Actually, it does feel a little better.  I can still feel it though and if I move the wrong way it hurts. 
Parent - - By neustkg (Important) Date 2010-03-29 6:17 PM
Just take it slowly/low mileage.
Parent - - By slavin [us] Date 2010-03-29 9:20 PM Edited 2010-03-29 9:46 PM
I'm afraid because one guy on my mileage game team said that he was out for 3 months with a groin pull and a woman on my team said she was out for 2.5!  I'm afraid I'll rush it and hurt it worse and then be out that long too.  But at the same time, I haven't run in over 2.5 weeks and I'm afraid I'm losing all my fitness. 
Parent - By neustkg (Important) Date 2010-03-29 10:53 PM
Don't worry.  Your fitness will come back.  Just be careful and try not to do the back-to-back big mile days in the future, at least for now.  Also, you can strengthen the muscles w/some specialized machines if you belong to a gym.  Make sure to do the stretching, too.

I guess I was lucky in that I was able to kind of run through it.  Probably wasn't that severe.  At the same time, I need to be careful to increase my miles gradually because it might still be there lurking.
Parent - By whollymoly (manliest boy) Date 2011-08-29 3:49 PM
:meh:
Up Topic Training / General Training / 2010 Training Week 11