Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / The RW forum has gone to hell
- - By Pencils [us] Date 2006-07-04 12:10 PM
I haven't been on there in days--well, I was away for a few days, but I haven't been looking at it much lately anyway.  I just went and looked now, and the first thread reads "You are not a runner if you..."   :shocker!:   I find that really offensive.  I thought the women's forum tried to be inclusive, and encouraging of new people, not "you're not a runner if you don't know what shoes to wear."  I miss some of the people on there, but I dunno if I'm going to be looking much more.
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2006-07-04 12:51 PM
I was checking in and saw the same post.  I was just really shocked that something like that could even be considered.  Even if it was in a joking way, not funny at all.:mutmad:
Parent - By brackman1066 [us] Date 2006-07-04 12:57 PM
Yeah, I saw that, too.  Bless the woman who responded with, "Um, if you don't run? I don't like elitism."

But then, a similar post from long ago is why I pretty much never post about running on this forum, just read the dailies and post in NRR.  So I'm probably oversensitive.
Parent - - By Samantha Date 2006-07-04 1:01 PM
With the exception of a few forumites who have been around awhile, the entire place has a new feel. Not one I personally care for. It's just...well...  seems very young is about the nicest way I can put it. My opinion. :)
Parent - - By moonglow9 Date 2006-07-04 1:04 PM
:meh: Glad its not just me with that reaction...
Parent - By Speedymedic Date 2006-07-04 3:06 PM
I felt the same way. 
Parent - By slowgirl Date 2006-07-04 3:02 PM
Yeah, it's a different place alright.  There's some people working hard to keep things going, though, so I guess over time a new community will evolve there.
Parent - By dangerousdan (bear terrorist) [us] Date 2006-07-04 1:13 PM
maybe it's a trick question? 
Parent - - By amyNtx Date 2006-07-04 1:28 PM
I have only been running a little over a year.  And for that year have done the run/walk thing. 

Now I am starting my trianing over because I want to be able to run without walking.  I am very glad I trained the way I did last year as that enabled me to do a half mary and believe that I could actually run.  It is still embarassing for me to post that I can only run for a full 24 minutes, but I am learning to overcome that. This time next year my times will look different.

I have been fairly sensitive about posting because I don't want to run into the elitism.  Seeing posts like that only serve to discourage some.  How sad.
Parent - - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2006-07-04 2:26 PM
You know, there is no shame in walk/run. After every injury I've ever had, I started back walk/run. My hubby who went to the 2004 Olympic Trials in the 10k is currently walk/running due to a calf injury. We are all runners. Period.
Parent - - By amyNtx Date 2006-07-04 2:38 PM
You are SO right! 

I am glad I had a friend encourage me to go ahead and give training a try even though I told her I didn't want to enter a 5K becuase I couldn't "run" the whole way.  Without the last year I would not have the confidence to push myself farther now.  By working my way up to the half mary, and finishing within 2 minutes of my "dream" time, I learned that with training I can do so much more than I thought.

I want something a little different now.....and have the drive and knowledge about how to get where I want. The only sad part is leaving my little group of running buddies behind for a while (I want something different than they do, and that is ok with all of us). I still meet them at the start, and have breakfast with them after our run  : pbbt:
Parent - - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2006-07-04 2:44 PM
My twin sister was a state-qualifying sprinter in high school and decided she wanted to run a women's only 5k a few years after high school. The first time I took her running she could only go a block before she had to stop. When race day rolled around, she had only run 2 miles straight but she ran the whole way at the 5k. A couple years later, she and I won the sister/sister division out of 40 some teams. She never has really trained but she enjoys running when she wants to and she is most definitely a runner.

Congrats to you for pushing yourself beyond what you thought. Running is a way of life, a state of being, and no one can put a label on it or decide who is and who isn't a runner.
Parent - - By Samantha Date 2006-07-04 2:48 PM
Running is a way of life, a state of being, and no one can put a label on it or decide who is and who isn't a runner.

That is the best description of what it is to be a runner that I've ever read.
Parent - - By amyNtx Date 2006-07-04 2:53 PM
May I use that as my signature?  I love it!
Parent - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2006-07-04 2:57 PM
Oh, please. I thought everyone looked at it that way. :wink:
Parent - By slowgirl Date 2006-07-04 2:45 PM
:hug:

ETA: The above emoticon represents my enjoyment of your post, as well as stormcatcher's response, as well as the fact that it is possible to have these tangential discussions thanks to threaded view. 
Parent - By yaldah Date 2006-07-05 10:26 AM
:x I needed to hear that.
Parent - - By swandive [us] Date 2006-07-04 1:37 PM
Agreed, though I did like Tesssa's response. :laugh:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2006-07-04 1:46 PM
Hey, she asked for it!  The juxtaposition of her topic and her tag line was hilarious.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2006-07-04 1:49 PM
I know.  I'm trying to maintain some focus, so are a few others, but it's mostly newbies.  I suspect RW sent out a mass email to all their subscribers with links to the "new and improved" (hah) forum, and many of them are trying it out.
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2006-07-04 2:33 PM
Now there's a new thread over there, someone saying "I got bronchitis and an upper respiratory infection, ran through it, and I'm better now but I don't have any energy when I run.  Why not?"  Umm, not sure how to respond to that.  Go find some common sense and come back? :wtf:  Really, people just make me shake my head sometimes.
Parent - - By slowgirl Date 2006-07-04 2:42 PM
Not to dispute the assertion that the RW forum has gone to hell, but I had another perspective on the particular thread in question.  Busy Cat recently started a thread called, "You know you're a runner when..." which generated a lot of response, much of which was quite funny.  When I saw the thread, "You know you're not a runner when...", I figured it was just somebody trying to keep the momentum going from the first thread, and generate the same kind of self-deprecating responses.  It hasn't worked, obviously.
Parent - - By swandive [us] Date 2006-07-04 2:51 PM
I thought of the correlation to the "you know you're a runner" thread, but we're pretty adament about calling everyone who runs a runner. :)  Most people who have been around the forums for a while know that we're sensitive about calling people "not a real runner" but I guess newbies don't know that.  Should I go over to RW and start a thread about not having kids?  Or breastfeeding in public? :evil:
Parent - - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2006-07-04 2:58 PM
I already did that. It got really ugly. Let's not do that again. Heh heh.

:evil:
Parent - - By swandive [us] Date 2006-07-04 3:10 PM
I know it got really ugly, but it was hilarious for a while and sometimes you gotta just stir the water then sit back and watch. :evil:  I bet it would get even uglier now because most of the ones who stayed are TTC, Prego, PP, and SAHM.  Some newbie would say something bad about kids and they wouldn't know what hit them. :laugh:  I'm evil for even thinking of it. :evil: :evil:
Parent - - By nhwarrior [us] Date 2006-07-04 7:19 PM
Not all the SAHM are that judgemental or bad either!
Parent - - By lovelylisa Date 2006-07-05 8:57 AM
Same for the PP'ers. I post there and here as well.
Parent - - By yaldah Date 2006-07-05 10:28 AM
Me too, though there's nothing that entertains me more than a full-blown war on topics like stay home/don't stay home with kids, etc. ]:)

But usually the people who really freak out are not the PP and SAHM regulars. It's women who are lurking, I've noticed.
Parent - By Pencils [us] Date 2006-07-05 12:23 PM
That's why it's more fun!

>>But usually the people who really freak out are not the PP and SAHM regulars. It's women who are lurking, I've noticed.

Parent - By slowgirl Date 2006-07-04 3:01 PM
Yeah, I think that's exactly it, that newbies wouldn't be aware of the sensitivities around certain topics.  There's a lot of newbies over there - or, at least, people I don't recognize (for all I know it's the same old bunch with new names!).  I guess they need threadkiller to drop by and educate them.  :evil::laugh:
Parent - - By Pencils [us] Date 2006-07-04 3:10 PM
"Should I go over to RW and start a thread about not having kids?  Or breastfeeding in public?"

That could be fun.  :evil:

I was just so disappointed by that thread.  And even if it was a response to a "you know you're a runner when..."  that's not what it said.  It said "you're not a runner if you"  which means something very different.  It's about judging others, not yourself.  Someone on there wrote "you buy your running shoes at Target."  Well, some people can't afford $75 and up for running shoes, period.  And, you know, there were many, many years before modern running shoes were invented and people wore sneakers, that I doubt had better support or cushioning than the shoes for sale at Target.  Which, BTW, look very much like expensive running shoes, I just saw them this afternoon.  (No, I didn't look on purpose because of this thread, we were looking for shoelaces.)  I'm sure they just look like more expensive shoes, but, as I said, they're better than running in Keds, which people probably did back in the Seventies. I thought a bit about what I wanted to say, because I didn't want to be too nasty to the newbies.  But maybe I should have been.
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2006-07-04 3:13 PM
How many elite Kenyan runners do you think started running with no shoes at all?  Where you buy your shoes has nothing to do with your status as a runner.  I know that we've periodically had "you know you're a runner when..." threads and it's usually poking fun at ourselves about having 15 pairs of old running shoes or having several loads of running clothes a week or spending more $$ on running clothes than "real" clothes.  But I think some people miss the point. :meh:
Parent - - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2006-07-04 3:16 PM
My first pair of "running" shoes were blue suede NBA basketball sneakers when I was in 8th grade...and I still ran a mile in 7:15. :cool: I didn't get a real pair of running shoes until my senior year of high school. My coach got them for me from a shoe bank (basically leftover second-hand shoes) because my parents didn't think I would stick with running and refused to buy shoes for me...that was in 1984. Oh and I went to state that year in cross-country. Don't judge me by my shoes or my cotton t-shirts. I may just kick some ass in my second hand gear. :laugh:
Parent - By moonglow9 Date 2006-07-05 5:08 AM
Well said!
Parent - - By newfmrs Date 2006-07-05 7:01 AM
Crap we sound like we were similar.  My first pair of running shoes were my regular sneakers - LA Gear hitops at that.  What was I thinking?????  From there on out they were pretty much the nike air pegasus through our school.  We had a great coach though who helped up raise money to buy shoes.  We sold subs to pay for them.
Parent - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2006-07-05 12:38 PM
:grin:
Parent - By americangirl [us] Date 2006-07-06 9:41 AM
I talked my twelve-year-old DS into trotting a mile with me a couple days ago.  He wore shorts, T-shirt, ancient black hightops and stayed ahead of his mama the whole way...gotta love those hightops! 
Parent - - By Pencils [us] Date 2006-07-04 3:19 PM
Ooops.  I was accidentally just rather nasty to someone.  Oh well.  :evil:
Parent - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2006-07-04 3:27 PM
:laugh:

Priceless.
Parent - By Samantha Date 2006-07-04 3:35 PM
Oh my gosh, that was a thing of beauty. :laugh:
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2006-07-04 3:42 PM
OMG, evil. :laugh:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2006-07-04 8:00 PM
Accidentally, my arse. 

But she deserved it.  :laugh:
Parent - - By yaldah Date 2006-07-05 10:29 AM
"Accidentally." :^O
Parent - By Ankah Date 2006-07-05 11:27 AM
Where? How did I miss it? Where?
Parent - - By rabbitrunner Date 2006-07-04 4:01 PM
I agree with all who say running is more a state of mind than a skill level.  I've said this before, but it's all a matter of perspective.  Compared to a lot of people on these boards, I run respectable times.  But when I ran xc/track in college I was middle of the pack.  And that was at a D III school.  I probably couldn't have made it onto most DII or DI teams, and if I did certainly not at a level to be able to score.  Compared to the elite runners, I'm practically a sloth.  And just as I would not not call  myself a runner because I couln't hope to keep up with someone like Paula Radcliffe, I wouldn't call anyone else not a runner because they don't run as far or as fast as me.  If you run, you're a runner.  That about covers it. 

And for the record my first pair of running shoes was an old pair of indoor soccer shoes.  I still run in soccer shorts and cotton t-shirts with the sleaves cut off.  Then and now, still a runner. 
Parent - By americangirl [us] Date 2006-07-06 9:44 AM
I still go for long runs in my old concert t-shirts.

I may run the Army 10-miler in my American Girl shirt....hooha?
Parent - - By secretgarden Date 2006-07-04 5:41 PM
Pencils -- nice reply on the RW forum.

Not sure if anyone else noticed but the original poster also posts in the HIGH SCHOOL forum.  So whoever had the theory that a lot of the posters are a little younger and somewhat immature probably hit the nail right on the head.
Parent - By Samantha Date 2006-07-04 6:47 PM
Ha, thought so! :wink:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2006-07-04 8:02 PM
I thought half the posters on the HS forum were 50 yo bald guys w/beer guts looking to pick up girls?
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2006-07-04 8:19 PM
I guess the high school girls rejected him so he thought maybe the women would fall for him. :laugh:
Parent - - By Jen1979 [us] Date 2006-07-05 7:31 AM
This has happenned each time RW has changed the forum format.  I have posted on the RW forums on and off since 2000, and it seems that every time they change the forum format, there is an influx of new people and the "feel" of the forum changes.  It has caused me to lose interest in the forums several times, but somehow I always wind up coming back.  That said, after the last change I never went back to the "beginners" forum because I just didn't feel like I fit in there anymore - that's when I switched to the Women's forum.
Parent - - By DaffodilRunner Date 2006-07-05 11:08 AM
I agree with this.  I think that a lot of the posters on this thread came shortly after the winter 2002 change over, so I think people just need to understand that this is a natural evolution of the board.  I'm sticking it out.  I love the new triathlon forum and the OS ladies are awesome.
Parent - - By Ankah Date 2006-07-05 11:17 AM
There was a winter 2002 changeover? I don't remember this...what happened?
Parent - - By DaffodilRunner Date 2006-07-05 11:42 AM
It wasn't as dramatic of a change as this change.  it was February 11, 2002.  that is why a lot of the older forumites have that set as their date  of registration.
Parent - By Ankah Date 2006-07-05 11:44 AM
Oooh...I was thinking end of 2002, not beginning. Alright. I didn't join 'til May or June of '02. :happy:
Parent - - By Pencils [us] Date 2006-07-05 2:04 PM
Also, people over at RW are getting really whiny.  Why do I keep reading it and posting?  Kinda like a train wreck, you can't look away, although it digusts you....

(And, yes, I realize you guys are lurking.  If you have something to say, say it.)
Parent - By DaffodilRunner Date 2006-07-05 2:49 PM
Thanks.
Parent - - By sarahbanana Date 2006-07-05 2:52 PM
Can we stop doing this now?
Parent - By Pencils [us] Date 2006-07-05 3:03 PM
Oh, all right.  You're too good, Sarah!  And, the fun's kinda gone out of it now anyway, it's just getting tiresome.  Although I'm sure someone will come along and try to wrap it all up and be the big mommy to us all.

>>Can we stop doing this now?

Parent - - By smiling sara [us] Date 2006-07-05 7:01 PM
Really, our forum was great all along, but improved even more over the past couple of years.

Later on, even controvercial posts like breast-feeding, whether or not to have kids, and even abortion could be discussed intelligently with an overwhelmingly supportive tone.  And trolls never stood a chance with our the teamwork that evolved for bumping other posts.

I'm so glad to have found many of you wonderful ladies again over here!
Parent - - By SeeKathyRun [us] Date 2006-07-06 5:57 AM
I was wondering where you were Sara. Glad you found your way here. You still planning on doing the 1/2 in September??
Parent - By smiling sara [us] Date 2006-07-06 10:37 AM
Yup, me AND DH!

It'll be my first race in a long time.
Up Topic Communities / Women / The RW forum has gone to hell