Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / General Training / Cold weather training - hot weather half...
- - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2009-12-29 4:09 PM
Doing a half in January in Phoenix where it will be 65 degrees.  I live in NYC where it's 29 degrees.

Am I better served doing my last two long runs indoor where the temp is closer to what it will be (and I can practice hydrating) - or outside so that I'm on roads (the surface I'll be running on)?
Parent - - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2009-12-29 4:21 PM
having lived in Phoenix, it can get cold in January.  Sometimes the mountains surrounding will have snow caps.  If the high is 65 then you can bet it will be in the 40's in the morning.  Depending on where in Phoenix the marathon is, it can also be cooler.....further north=altitude.

be sure to hydrate as it will definitely be drier there.
Parent - - By BoredTemp [us] Date 2009-12-29 7:14 PM
Thanks.  It's Phoenix to Tempe - finishing at the stadium.  Hydrating is something I'm a little nervous about.  I'm used to doing 90 minute runs here in NYC without water or anything.  I'm assuming that is NOT a good plan for the race.
Parent - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2009-12-30 7:56 AM
It shouldn't be too much of an issue as long as you are conscious of how much water you are drinking when you get there.  It would be a good idea to make sure you are hydrated before your flight out as flying won't help. 

Finishing at the stadium will be cool.  There are good places to eat close to the stadium as Mill Ave is close by with lots of restaurants.
Parent - - By sunshine (bisexual philanderess) [us] Date 2009-12-30 9:35 AM
great question as I deal with this every year while training for Twisted Ankle. My longest runs are done in temps in the 20's or lower but come race day in Georgia it's hot and (even worse) humid. :cry:
Parent - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2009-12-30 10:09 AM
it's hot and humid at TA? :cry::cry::cry:
Parent - By whollymoly (manliest boy) Date 2011-08-31 3:58 PM
u
Up Topic Training / General Training / Cold weather training - hot weather half...