Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Triathlons / Southwest Zone Masters Championship Swim Meet Report
- - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2009-03-29 8:11 PM
This forum needs some love so I will post this here.

Preface:  It has been 9 years since my last Masters meet.  During that 9 years I have been swimming on and off.  Sometimes with a masters team and sometimes solo.  A new team formed where I was swimming solo so I joined them in July and have been pretty consistent in going except for a few weeks during the Thanksgiving/Christmas season.  I figured it would take me a year to get close to what I was 9 years ago if that is even possible (I'm 39 now).  So this meet was kind of a gauge to see where I was and to try a couple of events I haven't done before as an adult swimmer.  Also, this meet has some serious high end swimmers.  Some of these guys swam at the collegiate level and apparently never stopped.  Of course my age group (35-39) is ripe for some of those types in some of the events.  It was pretty cool to watch some of their swims.  I could only dream of being that fast.  Anyway...on with the report.

Friday:
400 IM - I had never swam this event in a meet before.  It showed.  I told myself over and over "don't go out too fast on the fly".  Of course I went out too fast on the fly (1:04.24).  I didn't feel like I was until about 85 yards in when I started breathing every stroke.  I knew that was bad news.  I suffered through the backstroke (my worst stroke) and figured I would make up some ground on the breaststroke but it didn't happen.  My pullouts off the wall were bad because I just needed air.  Once I got to the freestyle I felt a little better and brought it home.  My final time was 4:59.73 which is pretty good all things considered.  I wanted to go under 5:00 and I did it so I can't complain.  I ended up 4th in my age group.  I need to be in better condition for this event.  It really hurt.

Saturday: 3 events total.  After the 1st event I had a one event break, then the next 2 were back to back which meant I needed to make sure to warm down properly to flush any lactic acid out.

100 IM - I have swam this many many times in meets since I was a kid.  I don't recall much about this race except I felt like I couldn't get it going on breaststroke again.  I finished in 1:03.96.  Not my best ever but not my worst.  5th in age group.

50 Breaststroke - At one time breaststroke was my best stroke.  Apparently that is no longer.  I actually felt pretty good in this race and touched at 33:35 which got me 6th in age group.  Kind of disappointing but going into this meet I knew the breaststroke events would be disappointing compared to the old me.  My stroke is just "off".

100 Free - I like this event.  It hurts but it's fun.  My problem in sprint freestyle is that it takes me a 25 or so to get into rhythm.  I tend to spin my wheels early and then find it in the 2nd 25.  No different in this instance as my splits were only 1.45 seconds apart.  Time was 55.39.  3rd place in age group.  Hardware.  WOOT WOOT!  I think it was my cheering section that pushed me.  mrs.adamneh and the LMA's showed up just in time to see this event. :hug:

Sunday: 4 events total.  1 event early then 3 in a similar scenario as Saturday except these events were double the distance.  Let's see how it goes and if I have to scratch one I will.

50 freestyle - I like this event because it is over quick.  I don't like it for the reasons/problems explained above.  By the time I get into a groove it's over.  I went 25.45.  Not bad.  5th in age group but not far from 3rd.

100 breaststroke -  This hurt physically and mentally.  I went at a similar pace as I did in the 50 but couldn't hold it.  1:11.87.  Go enough for 2nd in age group though (out of 3 :roll::laugh:).  More hardware. :roll:

200 IM - After the 100 breast I knew I was scratching this event.  The final event is one I had never done before and I really wanted to be as fresh as possible for it so I bailed on this.  Looking at the results I probably would have gotten 3rd and maybe 2nd in my age group based I what I've done in practice. 

200 Free - I was looking forward to and was dreading this event.  I knew it would hurt but I wanted the challenge.  Going into it I though this event might suite my abilities to get into a good rhythm and hold a strong pace.  My fear was not being able to hold it and of course the dreaded going out too fast.  My plan was to cruise the first 50, work the middle 100, and empty the tank on the last 50.  I cruised the 1st 50, but didn't work the middle 100 hard enough when I look at my splits.  I was able to finish strong which was good but I knew when the event was over that I could have gone a little harder.  I went 2:01.42.  I really wanted to crack 2 minutes but it didn't happen this time.  I'll go it a go at the next meet as I do think this is a good event for me.  My splits showed that I was able to hold my pace pretty well even though they weren't as fast as I would like.  I came in 3rd in my age group so I got another medal.

All in all it was a good meet.  I know I can go faster with more work in and out of the water.  This was just a re-starting point. :cool::cool:

Thanks for reading if you got this far.
Parent - - By Ankah Date 2009-03-30 6:41 AM
55.39 for the 100 free? :cry::cry: OMG, I hurt just thinking about it! That's amazing!
What a tough 3 days. Very impressive. Do you feel stronger now than 9 years ago?

Congrats on the hardware, and hitting your goals, adam! :cool:
Parent - - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2009-03-30 6:47 AM
Thanks. :cool:

It was a tough 3 days.  I was wiped when it was over.

I don't feel as strong as 9 years ago.  I felt like I could ride higher in the water back then.  I think it's the legs and core that need more work than anything.  I think I can get there.
Parent - - By Ankah Date 2009-03-30 6:50 AM
Can you tell me what IM is? 4 different strokes? :wtf:
Parent - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2009-03-30 6:56 AM
IM stands for individual medley.  You do equal distance of each stroke in the order of fly/back/breast/free.
Parent - - By jalashkar (Yahd) Date 2009-03-30 6:42 AM
Holy shitto!!!!  That's awesome!  :hug:
Parent - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2009-03-30 6:47 AM
thanks. :cool:
Parent - - By Stofa Date 2009-03-30 6:49 AM
Dude, very impressive all around.  All of those times are just crazy fast!  Congrats on all of the hardware and doing well in some new events.
Parent - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2009-03-30 6:57 AM
Thanks. :cool:  If you think I'm crazy fast you should have seen some of the other d00ds.  Just nuts.
Parent - - By sarabeth [us] Date 2009-03-30 6:57 AM
Congrats! :cool:
Parent - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2009-03-30 6:57 AM
thanks sara :cool:
Parent - - By Yankeebelle Date 2009-03-30 6:59 AM
:hug:   What an awesome meet you had!  Major congratulations Adam!  ^:cool:^
Parent - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2009-03-30 7:00 AM
thanks Dottie. :cool:
Parent - - By Trinity (Troublemaker) Date 2009-03-30 7:09 AM
congrats adam!  sounds like a tough meet.  nice work:cool:
Parent - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2009-03-30 7:20 AM
Thanks Trinity. :cool:
Parent - - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2009-03-30 7:27 AM
Congrats, that's very impressive.  :shocker!::happy:  You are the triathlon king.  :cool:
Parent - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2009-03-30 8:26 AM
Thanks 3jake :cool:
Parent - - By squirrelgirl (Indian Buffet Queen) Date 2009-03-30 7:42 AM
OMG, you did all of that this weekend??! :shocker!:
Stud :cool:
Parent - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2009-03-30 8:27 AM
thanks.  yours sounded tougher. :cool:
Parent - - By Fyodorox (he ho) Date 2009-03-30 7:42 AM
So, I take it those times are pretty fast? :p

Great job man, didn't know you had such talent, congrats. :D
Parent - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2009-03-30 8:27 AM
they are ok. :cool:
Parent - - By cowboyjunkie Date 2009-03-30 8:17 AM
that is so cool! great work adamneh!!!! :hug:
thanks cj :cool::hug:
Parent - - By jennifer7 (100 mile studette) [us] Date 2009-03-30 9:16 AM
awesomeness :x
Parent - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2009-03-30 9:20 AM
thanks. :hug:
Parent - - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2009-03-30 9:22 AM
I should have noted that all distances are in yards.  I will also note that I did not wear one of those fancy suits (Speedo Lazer or BlueSeventy).  I wore some old TYR jammers that cost $35.  I would bet that 75-80% of peeps there had some type of advanced suit.
Parent - - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2009-04-01 2:05 PM
lots of peeps had those suits? wow!:wtf:
Parent - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2009-04-01 2:12 PM
lots.  especially the peeps that were already fast to begin with.
Parent - - By noel (Kilotons of Honky Tonk Badonkadonk) Date 2009-04-01 2:05 PM
:shocker!::shocker!::shocker!::shocker!:holy shitto!!! NICE TIMES adam!!!!:cool: you should be very very stoked. If you'd done the 200 free before all the other stuff you'd have easily broken 2, at that point you were wiped out, and you still kicked ass:cool: Congrats on the hardware! I am so happy for you!:hug:
Parent - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2009-04-01 2:10 PM
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2009-04-02 8:38 AM
:shocker!:  holy crap you're a swimming pool stud!  congrats on the hardware and the great finishes in some tough races.

I'm glad you're not a girl and racing against me on the 19th cuz you would kick my a$$! :cool::laugh:
Parent - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2009-04-05 6:06 PM
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2009-04-02 9:42 PM
:cool::cool:
Parent - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2009-04-05 6:06 PM
:cool:
Up Topic Training / Triathlons / Southwest Zone Masters Championship Swim Meet Report