Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Training / Triathlons / Who's done a Du?
- - By Ankah Date 2009-02-09 10:02 AM
I am looking at a Du in May: 2 mile run, 13 mile ride, 2 mile run.
I've got a sprint tri 3 weeks prior and another 3 weeks later, so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Who's done one? I have done a ton of tris, but never a du, so any advice would be helpful!
Parent - - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2009-02-09 10:09 AM
none but I've considered an aquathon (swim and bike only) for obvious reasons. : pbbt:
Parent - By Ankah Date 2009-02-09 10:25 AM
I'm usually done when I get out of the water anyway. My first reaction when getting out of the water is usually..."doo doo doo...boy, that was hard. Oh snap! I'm not done!" :cry:
Parent - - By mmrocker13 [us] Date 2009-02-09 10:17 AM
1. Do not wear a wetsuit.
Parent - - By Ankah Date 2009-02-09 10:22 AM
: pbbt:
Do you go all out on both runs? Or just the second?
Parent - By mmrocker13 [us] Date 2009-02-09 10:27 AM
Don't "save yourself". It doesn't work for marriage, and it doesn't in a du, either. Just let it go, man. Let it go.

There are people who say that a du is just a tri without the swim. And while I could do with ALL tris being minus the swim, Dus really are a thing unto themself.

Here's another thing--pay attention to where your shoes are. If you come into T1 and chuck your shoes, you will not know where they are in T2. Not that I've done that opr anything...I'm just saying.
Parent - - By jwd1113 Date 2009-02-09 10:21 AM
used to du 'em years ago.

do some brick workouts to practice the run-to-bike transition  - it's not as not as hard as the bike-to-run

2/13/2 sounds like a painful, all-out hammerfest
Parent - By Ankah Date 2009-02-09 10:24 AM
I'll probably do that...thanks. I thought it was a good distance for a first, but I have no idea what the course looks like.
Parent - - By 2Hot2Trot Date 2009-02-09 10:24 AM
Do some bike to run workouts. A du would give you a pretty good idea about how you are doing in your transitions.
Parent - - By Ankah Date 2009-02-09 10:26 AM
Thanks. I'll be doing plenty of those throughout the season already...I'm just wondering if any run to bike transitions would help? :wtf:
Parent - - By mmrocker13 [us] Date 2009-02-09 10:28 AM
Nah. Well, I mean, I guess they might help, but it's still the 2nd transition that gets you.
Parent - By Ankah Date 2009-02-09 10:34 AM
Dang. It sounds hard.

c:cool:l.
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2009-02-09 4:20 PM
I did a duathlon on the shore of Lake Champlain a couple of years ago. It was a 5K run, 15-mile bike, 5K run.

Rocker gave the best advice: don't bother with a wetsuit. : pbbt::laugh:

No, seriously, dus are, in my humble opinion, tougher than tris. If I could offer any advice, it would be to train to run WAY longer than just the combined distance of the run legs, and to practice doing double runs, e.g., run twice in the same day. Bonus points if you practice doing double speed workouts occasionally.

I did well in my tri, but mostly because I had just come off 50K training. The second run leg still felt pretty short to me. I got (as always :roll:) crushed in the bike leg, but actually made up distance against a few of the elites (!!) in the second run leg because I had mondo running endurance. 
Parent - By Ankah Date 2009-02-10 9:50 AM
Thanks Zipper! This will work well--I'll be doing doubles building up to a relay I'm doing a few weeks prior...I'll just be sure to stick a few extra in.
Parent - - By nebrunner Date 2009-05-23 5:26 AM
I've been thinking about doing my first too just for fun (next year- first I need a road bike :roll:).   The one I'm considering is an even shorter small town race (1.75 run- 10 bike- 1.75 run).  Total newbie question but did you change your shoes between the running & the biking or is it ok just to wear the same for both?  I dont have bike shoes yet either & the shoe change sounds like a PITA.  As you can tell I'm :nothardcore: :blush:
Parent - By Ankah Date 2009-05-24 4:44 AM
It depends on your bike pedals. I have to change my shoes...running shoes don't work with SPD pedals. Really, the time you save riding with clipless pedals and cleats MORE than makes up for the mere seconds it takes in transition changing shoes. Both of my transitions in the du were 30-40 seconds, but I suppose I've had a lot of practice the past few years with transition.

It was a lot of fun. There were people there who had borrowed bikes from friends just to do it.
Up Topic Training / Triathlons / Who's done a Du?