Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Women / Good deeds forumite-style
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By LuckiestPenny Date 2009-01-29 1:41 PM
What kind/unexpected things have forumites done for you?  Big or little?  It all counts :)
Parent - - By ChicagoKate Date 2009-01-29 1:45 PM
Until very recently I lived in the Chicago area and struck up a real-life friendship with some of our Chicago forumites (who also post on the Mafia thread with me). On the day before I moved Jenimal drove out to my area to have coffee one last time and say goodbye. It was so kind of them to come, even though it was out of their way. I truly miss seeing the Chicago ladies on a semi-regular basis, and am sorry I didn't have the chance to meet some of the other Chicago forumites before I moved.
Parent - - By LuckiestPenny Date 2009-01-29 1:47 PM
That's really cool of them.  :)  Oh, and I understand you're in CA now, right?  Whereabouts, exactly?
Parent - - By ChicagoKate Date 2009-01-29 1:50 PM
Bay Area. :grin:
Parent - - By LuckiestPenny Date 2009-01-29 1:55 PM
Oh, dreamy...We are flying into Oakland for our 10th anniversary on our way up to Napa.  I've never been and I'm excited!  It probably won't be too much of a let's-stop-and-meet-people-for-a-run kinda trip, but we make it up to San Fran fairly often.   Wouldn't necessarily recommend a trip to LA, but you never know... I'm nice and I'd like to meet you.  :)
Parent - By mandy_vocal Date 2009-01-29 2:26 PM
Both of you are nice :) I've had the opportunity to spend time with each of you.  Hope you get to meet each other :) :hug:
Parent - - By jenimal Date 2009-01-29 1:50 PM
at our very first FE... Kate brought me Kahlua cake :hug::hug:  knowing I was down and going through a rough streatch.. and she shows up with Cake :hug::hug:
Parent - - By yaldah Date 2009-01-29 2:23 PM
I'm still a little bitter about that cake. Damn my greedy family! :^O :roll: X-(
Parent - - By ChicagoKate Date 2009-01-29 2:26 PM
I meant to make a batch and mail them because I had some other people request them. One of these days I'll get around to it.
Parent - By yaldah Date 2009-01-29 2:35 PM
You so do not have to do that. :x
Parent - - By LuckiestPenny Date 2009-01-29 1:46 PM Edited 2009-01-29 1:56 PM
Soxrock9 (ahem, Char) sent me something in the mail that will contribute to my DH's upcoming bday gift.  Times are tight here, and she posted saying she had something she didn't need, could anyone use it?  I can, she mailed it to me.  Thank you, Soxrock9!  I received it yesterday! That was really kind of you.  :) 

Additionally, I had lunch a while ago with keaesq, who lives about an hour from me.  She had a gc from a restaurant she'd been meaning to use, so she treated me! 

Also, she kept pace with me when we ran the race at the Rose Bowl, and she is WAY faster than I...she didn't need to be all slow-poke with me, but she did.  As did Tessa once when we ran together at Griffith park.  Those things mean a lot to an insecure runner.  :D
Parent - - By Soxrock9 [us] Date 2009-01-29 2:03 PM
oh good! I was wondering if it came :laugh:
Parent - - By LuckiestPenny Date 2009-01-29 3:29 PM
It did and when I opened it I have to admit I was a little wigged out b/c there was no return address and I'd spaced out that you were sending something.  I was all, "I don't know anybody in _____....maybe this is, you know, hate mail or something?"  Gotta love that short term memory.  :D 
Parent - By Soxrock9 [us] Date 2009-01-29 5:38 PM
I ran out of return stickers and am a bit lazy :laugh::blush:
Parent - By Nini [us] Date 2009-01-29 1:48 PM
Char (Soxrox9) made me a running t-shirt quilt :x  I know she donated it to a forum contest, but still :x

When I was in Sweden, I received packages and postcards from the forum, and I will tell you... it made me feel really good!  Also, there is a Denver marathon t-shirt in the quilt, and I got an awesome postcard from that race too :cool:

I have had forumites donate to my marathon charity and do all sorts of other cool stuff :grin:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2009-01-29 1:50 PM
Run me in at several races.  Freps (TCM and Carlsbad), gohawki (Carlsbad), jgrey (MGM and she was 7 weeks pregnant at the time), MeAnd3XYS (Carlsbad), and especially Rio (Denver), because it was cold and raining and miserable and you went home after the half and showered and came back and talked me in and drove me back to the hotel...I heart all of you.

Allowed me to stay at their homes for races or other FEs.  Grassy, freps, LuckyDog, SJRunner, SeeKathyRun, I thank you again, and I hope I haven't missed anyone.

Driven or otherwise journeyed long distances to meet me, sometimes on short notice.  Too many to name, because I know I'll miss someone.

Great thread idea, Penny, thanks!
Parent - By LuckyDog [us] Date 2009-01-30 9:47 AM
Where is Grasshopper??
Parent - By Soxrock9 [us] Date 2009-01-29 2:07 PM
hmmm a lot! Gohawki sent me a box of really basic cooking recipies since she noticed me commenting on what a cooking dunce I am. :laugh:

My relay team at Denver (newfmrs, Hay Burner, and pricklypear) were good enough to give me the shortest leg when I was having health issues but didn't want to drop out.

Poor Cdocrun! I have harassed her with so many second-opinion questions on my son's heath issues and she very patiently and throroughly answered them all.

Too many other things over the years to list. You ladies ROCK! :hug::hug::hug:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2009-01-29 2:08 PM
SeeKathyRun waited in the rain for me to finish a marathon and then bought me a beer. :hug:

Bunny and her DH drove out to one of my ultras and brought me a cane-sugar soda and snacks at the end. That soda tasted like HEAVEN. :hug:

Hay Burner's DH crewed for HB and me during Mountain Masochist. That was the nicest thing ever. And HB has also let me sleep at her house for several races. :hug::hug:
Parent - By Bunny Date 2009-01-29 3:00 PM
Awe! :hug: We had the best time. It's seriously the closest I'll ever be to being an ultra-runner. I'd love to do it again, just tell me when.
Parent - - By pricklypear Date 2009-01-29 3:02 PM
Haha, i read that as: "Hay Burner's DH chewed for HB and me..." :laugh:
Parent - - By Zipper [us] Date 2009-01-29 7:25 PM
Now that is REAL service: "honey, we're too tired to chew our burgers..." "No worries! I got it!" : pbbt:
Parent - By peaches [us] Date 2009-01-30 10:02 AM
:laugh::laugh:
Parent - By Jennifer Dale [us] Date 2009-01-30 10:22 AM
You attract such nice people, because you are so nice yourself, Zipper. :hug:
Parent - - By SeeKathyRun [us] Date 2009-01-30 4:36 PM
I felt bad for you too. If I remember correctly, they had the A/C on, and you were sitting there shivering. Hey, Zipper, we need to find a race to do together in 2009. I'll even come to VA.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2009-01-30 5:53 PM
:mischief::grin:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2009-01-29 2:08 PM
At one of the lowest points in my adult life Tessa bought me lunch and listened to me for 2 hours.:hug:

Krista shops at REI for me. :blush:

Numerous forumites offered me lots of love at that same low point. Daily my "running friends" give me things to laugh about.
Parent - By ChicagoKate Date 2009-01-29 2:12 PM
Daily my "running friends" give me things to laugh about.

I truly don't know how I would have gotten through the post-partum stage with my second son had it not been for the PP and Mafia ladies. In fact, I don't know how I managed without the forum after my first son was born! I did, but it was a very different experience that second time to know others were feeling the same things and were there to listen. Still are. :hug:
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2009-01-29 2:39 PM
I forgot, at that same down point a forumite sent me flowers. :hug::hug: I still have the mug they came in, and it makes me smile when I see it.
Parent - - By yaldah Date 2009-01-29 2:12 PM
I sleep underneath a phenomenal pink quilt constructed by Arimathea and Bunny, and signed by many, many other forumites from the "old place." :x

Actually, I should say I sometimes sleep underneath it, since my daughter adores this quilt and frequently tries to steal it. :^O
Parent - - By magali [fr] Date 2009-01-29 2:21 PM
:hug: Tweety knows some things are made with love :laugh:
Parent - By yaldah Date 2009-01-29 2:22 PM
Or, at least, she knows that pink RULES. :^O :x
Parent - - By Bunny Date 2009-01-29 3:01 PM
Can you post a picture again? I never saved one, and that's got to be the craziest best quilt I ever helped make!
Parent - By yaldah Date 2009-01-29 3:02 PM
Sure! I think I have one of the Bird lying on top of it, all grooving on the different colors and patterns. Baby crack. :^O :x
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2009-01-29 6:02 PM
:hug: Tweety. 
Parent - - By spartanrunner Date 2009-01-29 2:21 PM
Gosh, where do I begin? :hug:

I have gotten Target giftcards from callie and most of the Mafia.  I have gotten grocery giftcards and cute clothes for G from Gazelle.  A book and Amazon giftcard from stephinco.  I found good company and a place to vent to a real-life friend with CarrieBrownEyes.  Also, sleep training books.  Ramblinalong lent me her BOB adapter (which I PROMISE will be sent back next week! :blush:), and I borrowed an entire maternity wardrobe from happilyrunning.   No to mention all the PM's of encouragement, job opportunities for DH, and support.

I can't thank everyone enough.  This forum has been and will always be, amazing. :hug:

If I forgot anyone, it was not my intention and I am sorry!
Parent - - By ramblinalong [us] Date 2009-01-29 2:59 PM
Didn't you already send it back:wtf::laugh: I swear you did for some reason - I was impressed you still had my address.  I'll check.  I don't need it for another 6 months though:hug:
Parent - By spartanrunner Date 2009-01-29 3:18 PM
No, it's sitting here waiting to be sent!!! :laugh:  I emailed your address to myself so I would remember. :wink:
Parent - - By WYONan Date 2009-01-29 2:27 PM
Many years ago yaldah, who was still beritsmom then, offered to send me a ladybug costume for JKO to be at Halloween.  I think Tweety has worn that costume now... :x

elmtree sent a wonderful gift to JKO that she will treasure FOREVER... and she did it just based off of some comments I had made on here. :x

I think Dryad... maybe I am remembering that wrong... wrote me a darling limerick for my birthday one year... with a priceless reference to Joe Sakic in it.  I think I still have it somewhere... :p

Jenn7 burned me a cd and mailed it to me. :x

And SO many of you have given me reasons to smile... every day... whether I am here or not... and that is, perhaps, the greatest gift. :x
Parent - - By jennifer7 (100 mile studette) [us] Date 2009-01-29 3:13 PM
Nan and her family FED ME one day - that was awesome :laugh::hug:
Parent - - By WYONan Date 2009-01-29 3:23 PM
That was FUN!!!! :grin: My sister is thinking of going there this year... And you?
Parent - By jennifer7 (100 mile studette) [us] Date 2009-01-29 5:03 PM
I'm running a Half Marathon at Berry College that's the same day. 
Parent - - By magali [fr] Date 2009-01-29 2:29 PM
Freps and Dig opened their houses for me when they barely knew me and made me feel at home.

Kirsten made sure I did not become crazy of loneliness in DC and that I ate pancakes before flying back to the old continent.

Everyone who could went out of their way to meet me when I visited, I wouldn't have thought about travelling to the US if it hadn't been for meeting forumites.
Parent - By Digitydig [fr] Date 2009-01-29 3:18 PM
:hug:
Parent - - By KirstenD Date 2009-01-29 7:33 PM
:hug:  You got one last American-supersize stack of pancakes!  :laugh:
Parent - By magali [fr] Date 2009-01-30 12:17 AM
and one last visit to an American bookstore :laugh:
Parent - - By SJRunner [us] Date 2009-01-29 2:33 PM
Tessa came all the way from CA to help me quilt my anniversary gift for DH.

Freps, donnybrook, and LuckyDog all have hosted me in their home, and driven me around.

Slowgirl and her family drove me for hours between the airport and relay hotel.

Nemo helped me fighting IRS, and won.

donnasaur (Marathons) bought me baby formula.

HighHopes(Marathons) gave me a hat at our first FE, and ran me in at Austin 3M half last year.

My Great River Relay teammates gave me the best on course and in van support.

And many forumites have fed me:

Busycat fed me her legendary bread, Tessa fed me many things including the addicting pecan bars, JGrey fed me PB popcorns and mint brownies, WARunner fed me cookies (even my parents benefited), Freps fed me a whole vanful of food, Bunny sent me candies, etc. I wholeheartedly encourage this trend. :laugh::hug:
Parent - - By elmtree Date 2009-01-29 2:35 PM
Why did you need baby formula?  :wtf:
Parent - By yaldah Date 2009-01-29 2:35 PM
:evil::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By spartanrunner Date 2009-01-29 2:35 PM
she joined PP, didn't you hear?  She delivered a healthy one a couple of months ago.
Parent - - By SJRunner [us] Date 2009-01-29 2:37 PM
My child bearing hips totally worked to my advantage.:cool:
Parent - By peaches [us] Date 2009-01-30 10:04 AM
:laugh:
Parent - By SJRunner [us] Date 2009-01-29 2:39 PM
You didn't realize that I was running the GRR 6 months preggo?:wtf:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Some Chinese friends wanted DH to get baby formula from US to take back to Shanghai since some milk and milk products in China are contaminated.
Parent - - By yaldah Date 2009-01-29 2:46 PM
"I'm the Asian one" [at the airport]. Totally priceless. :^O :x
Parent - By SJRunner [us] Date 2009-01-29 2:48 PM
:laugh::hug:
Parent - By LuckyDog [us] Date 2009-01-30 9:41 AM
Ha!  That's what she told me too!
Parent - - By mandy_vocal Date 2009-01-29 2:34 PM
LuckiestPenny and her DH hosted DH and me when we were trying to decide if a move to LA was in the cards for us.  We had a wonderful dinner and great conversation.  While I"m thankful on many points for not moving, I wish I lived closer so I could develop this friendship more :)

Arimathea took DH and I on a wonderful walking tour of downtown LA and then took us to a great Mexican restaurant for dinner.  Tessa also ran with me at the Race for the Cure at the Rose Bowl and gave the woman who made me trip because she dropped her iPod a few choice words on my behalf :hug:

Many of you offered sending rinse-free shampoo and conditioner when we were rationing water this summer due to the floods :hug:  tmd95 sent said necessities plus bathing wipes. :hug:  I use all of these at the office, now, when I have an extra-sweaty lunch workout and need to "shower" for afternoon meetings.

When Max died, many of you dug out old Christmas card exchange lists and sent beautiful sympathy cards :hug: 

Seriously, I don't know what I'd do without my forum friends :) :hug:
Parent - - By LuckiestPenny Date 2009-01-29 3:18 PM
Frankly, these days (2 industry strikes in one year) I KNOW you made the right decision.  :(   Maybe there'll be a shoot in IA and we're there, friend!  :)
Parent - By mandy_vocal Date 2009-01-29 4:16 PM
There are more and more films coming here all the time since we passed the film incentive package a year ago.  MAJOR tax breaks :) :hug:  PM me your current contact info.  DH is DP of a feature right now filming in Iowa City.  Networking can be a wonderful thing and perhaps he'll have a way to get Z something with an IA shoot :) :hug:  I'd love to repay the favor of hospitality :)
Parent - - By swandive [us] Date 2009-01-29 2:48 PM
Curlygirl recently sent me a pair of capri tights. She remembered that I had mentioned wanting a pair and she was kind enough to send me a gift. :hug:

JGrey sent me a stack of CDs. :)
Parent - By yaldah Date 2009-01-29 2:53 PM
oh yeah! Curlygirl has sent me more than my share of running schwag over the past few years. :x :x :x
Parent - By Nini [us] Date 2009-01-29 2:55 PM
Oh yeah, I got shoes from curly once!  Some bike shoes for spinning :hug:
Parent - - By pricklypear Date 2009-01-29 3:04 PM
Stormy and CityDNA gave me a fabulous tour of Denver.:hug:  I still bear the scars of Stormy's switch.:shocker!:
Reebs got me a card and met me for lunch on my birthday.  She and Freps have both looked over some work stuff for me.
Hayburner helped me find a passage to read from the Old Testament at my wedding.:happy:
The moms/aunts/sisters of the forum have helped me cement my reputation as the best gift giving aunt.:cool:
Rocker's DH drew very elaborate Rube-Goldbergesque diagrams showing how to hang a pack using pulleys while camping in the woods.
My Denver relay team members put up with my crazy nerves, and incredibly slow time.:blush:
Nomad sent me Arab learning cds.:cool:

Tons of advice, recipes, and laughs. Thanks ladies.:hug:
Parent - By WYONan Date 2009-01-29 3:08 PM
Hayburner helped me find a passage to read from the Old Testament at my wedding.

Parent - - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2009-01-29 8:17 PM
:shocker!::blush:
Parent - - By pricklypear Date 2009-01-29 9:32 PM
:hug: I had fun.  The scars will fade with time. :hug:
Parent - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2009-01-29 9:38 PM
:hug: Yes, fun...after you got over the shock of a "warm up" before the race. : pbbt:
Parent - - By elmtree Date 2009-01-29 3:06 PM Edited 2009-01-29 3:11 PM
Bunny & her DH had me over for a delicious dinner and sent me on my merry way with leftovers for my flight the next day.  :cool::hug:

donnybrook sent me a running jacket when she got a new one.  :hug:

Rocker let me stay the night at her house after the relay and shared her fancy wine in a box wif me.  : pbbt::hug:

My vanmates at the relay provided me with hours of amusing moments that I was NEVAH forget.  Joe Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiden!!!  :laugh:

ETA: Nini made me my mitts, which I absolutely love.
Parent - - By WArunner Date 2009-01-29 5:10 PM
Joe Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiden still makes me laugh!
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2009-01-29 7:41 PM
:laugh:
Parent - By elmtree Date 2009-01-29 7:42 PM
I know!  You can't not laugh!  :laugh:
Parent - By kerbear [us] Date 2009-01-29 3:08 PM Edited 2009-01-29 3:38 PM
Soxrox9 made Abby's favorite little quilt. Apparently it's delicious : pbbt:

Before my first tri I got a surprise package from curlygirl with socks & a jackrabbit number belt thingy. :hug:

Oh! And Yaldah sent me some perfume I love!

ETA - How could I forget! Hayburner's Carrie sent Abby her old biking shorts & gloves for when she's big enough to ride with me! :laugh::hug:
Parent - - By Gazelle [us] Date 2009-01-29 3:13 PM
Gosh.  I already know I'm going to leave stuff out - please no one be offended!

When I was having a particularly bad time a few years ago, some forumites (who wanted to be anonymous) sent me gift cards and money and offered tons of emotional support.  Countless people have proofread things for me and given advice on researchy type things.  Jenn7 found a sweater I was dying for in a buy one get one sale, shipped it, and split the cost with me.  I've gotten running clothes from people.  Somerunner hosted three of us at the beach, and an awesome FE at her house.  Elmtree's sewing up a sack so I can have warm feets. I also have lots of great "real" friends I've met here over the years :hug:
Parent - - By elmtree Date 2009-01-29 3:27 PM
Oh that's right.  We had that AWESOME weekend at the beach.  :hug:

Somerunner rocked for doing that.
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2009-01-29 5:30 PM
Definitely! :hug:
Parent - - By MetalChick Date 2009-01-29 3:13 PM
So many things--I'm probably going to forget something.

Yaldah sent me her maternity wardrobe, which I got some very good use out of. Not to mention a fabulous gift of some wonderful books when L was born. And she patiently talked me "off the wall" during pregnancy at least once or twice--thank God for J! Shannon sent me a book on BFing. Kitty made me a half-dozen CDs for L--including our favorite "Full Metal Diaper." :laugh:

Another huge thing was the outpouring of support I received here just about one year ago, when my marriage pretty much hit rock bottom. I got plenty of support (and some tough love) publicly, but I also got dozens of PMs. Some shared highly personal stories of similar situations they had been through--and had gotten through. Those messages meant the world to me. I went back through and read them often over the past year, when times were dark. I even got a phone call from FFF when they were all having an FE. :hug: (I'm happy to report, though, that my marriage is better than ever these days...and I really appreciate the lack of harshness toward my husband from everyone even though I know most of you likely have a pretty low opinion of him. But he is not a bad person; he just did a very bad thing.)

I'll probably think of more....
Parent - - By yaldah Date 2009-01-29 3:15 PM
I still like your husband. People do dumb things. It sounds like he turned things around nicely. :x
Parent - - By LuckiestPenny Date 2009-01-29 3:31 PM
"People do dumb things"-- Amen to that.

(and I believe my name is on that quilt, yes? Tessa helped me.  I quilt not.  ;) )
Parent - By yaldah Date 2009-01-29 3:33 PM
It is!!! :x :cool:
Parent - By Kitty Date 2009-01-29 4:00 PM
Full Metal Diaper is our current favorite too :laugh::laugh::hug:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2009-01-29 5:39 PM
He's not a bad person, you're right, he just did a very stupid thing.  And from the sound of it, he realised what he did and mended his ways.

Glad you got through those very bad times. :hug:
Parent - By peaches [us] Date 2009-01-30 10:07 AM
Your DH is not a bad person.  Nice people do dumb things sometimes.  And if you like him, we like him.  :hug::hug:
Parent - - By Digitydig [fr] Date 2009-01-29 3:22 PM Edited 2009-01-29 3:24 PM
Zipper made me take time to actually enjoy being away from my kids for a day in DC. :cool:

Yaldah and her fabulous Judy sent my kids the grooviest care package a few winters back. :hug:

Magali brings me incredible wine and expensive shampoo when she comes to visit. :hug:

Tania and Kirsten helped me through a hangover and a makeover all in one day. :grin:

And I would have lost it completely if it hadn't been for the old XT thread at the other site....Seoulrunner, Threesome, HB, Nini...y'all helped me not be nuts when I had no one "real" to speak to. :hug:

And I love, LOVE the Mafia for everything. :hug:
Parent - - By LuckiestPenny Date 2009-01-29 3:31 PM
"Hangover and Makeover"- sounds like quite a day :D
Parent - By Taniabird Date 2009-01-29 8:58 PM
It was wonderful. :laugh: You forgot sitting by the water drinking bloody marys.... :cool:
Parent - - By Nini [us] Date 2009-01-29 8:53 PM
:hug: I miss our old XT group :hug:
Parent - By pricklypear Date 2009-01-29 8:55 PM
Me too.:hug: You guys were my first forum buds.
Parent - By magali [fr] Date 2009-01-30 12:22 AM
Just tell me when you run out of shampoo, we'll have to organise another supply drop :grin:
Parent - By yaldah Date 2009-01-29 3:32 PM
I'm sure I'm going to forget lots of nice things people here have done for me. It's been a lot of years and a lot of niceness. Feel free to remind me, though. :x

Metalchick gave me business when I was trying to be a freelance editor. She patiently worked with me on a lot of projects -- I was suuuuch a rookie -- and said nice things about me to her clients so they would work with me. :x And I got to stay at her house during the Denver FE, even though she had basically just had L. :x Oh, also, she took me on a fun tour of Denver the year before that (two years before?) and introduced me to a place that had the BEST guac I've ever tasted. :cool:

Dig sent Tweety these red baby boots... OMG. They are hard to describe; they're that cute. I'm half praying to have another girl just so we can use them again. Seriously, French baby boots. Does it get any better? :^O :x

cdocrun has talked me down about 2 million times about Tweety medical issues. :x

MJM let me shower at her apartment and stow my suitcase while a bunch of us ran the Mini, when she had only met me in person the day before.

I know I am forgetting people. :cry: I will have to keep thinking on it. :x
Parent - By mimsy [us] Date 2009-01-29 3:34 PM
The mafia - always there for me.  Love those gals.

Hey, if anyone wants to send me groovy quilts, care packages or wardrobes, I'm completely open to that.  I can give you training plans in exchange.  :hug:

Does anyone need little girl clothes sizes newborn - 2t? Happy to send. I have a nice pair of purple snow bibs from Beans and a jacket from REI. And more.
Parent - - By LuckyDog [us] Date 2009-01-29 3:42 PM
OMG.   Too many to be able to list them accurately.

After Katrina, Forumites came to my rescue in the largest, most incredible, most giving way.   I had money, gift cards, running goods, T-shirts for the security officers, toiletries, food, etc., etc., donated to me and my hospital. 

At one point, some days after the storm, I received an email from a forumite from L&O, I think.  Someone I've never corresponded with, someone I didn't "know".  He said that his 6 year old son had been cleaning up his toys and wanted to donate some toys to some children in New Orleans that had lost all their toys.  I gave him the hospital's address and about a week or so later I had a shoebox delivered to my office.  Inside was a ton of toy cars, stuffed animals, and such.  And I thought I had done all my crying!

After all this, if it wasn't enough, the Ladies on this forum banded together and sewed me a quilt.   The quilt was sent all over the country, so that different forumites could add their squares or sign their best wishes on other squares.  The quilt was then pieced together and quilted by a very special forumite (you know who you are, TL!).  It was then hand delivered to me, very unexpectedly, by two other forumites, one who lives here and one who was in town for a volleyball tournament.   I treasure that quilt tremendously and even brought it with me when I evacuated for Hurricane Gustav :mutmad:.

TO ALL THE WOMEN ON THIS FORUM: :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
Parent - By JGrey Date 2009-01-29 9:44 PM
:hug:  I'll never forget the support after Katrina, either, all the PMs and emails making sure I was ok.  And I benefited second hand from some of the running gear that LD couldn't use.  (thanks, LD). 
Parent - By Kitty Date 2009-01-29 4:14 PM
elmtree made a quilt for joocee and a woobie for Gus. And a harness for Pumpkin so we can take her outside on a leash :laugh::hug:

noel (on L&O) snet Gus books and socks when he was born.

The Mafia women helped me through breastfeeding issues (and gave me all kinds of love and support when it wasn't working with Joocee and we went to all formula) and countless stresses with both babies. They and the preggo ladies gave me lots of hugs and prayers when tests indicated Joocee was having issues and maybe had one of the trisomies. She doesn't and she's healthy, and they expressed joy and happiness when I got the good news. And the Mafia village is helping to raise my kids :laugh: with advice, support, love, and laughs (seriously, I didn't think anything wrong with letting the kid eat 5 yogurts in a day... at the time :laugh::laugh:).

I think that's one thing I *really* love about this place - the sharing of joy as well as sadness.

And more women on here than I can name sent me prayers and advice, on the forum and in PMs, personal emails and phone calls, and still reach out to me, about my husband's addictions and some tough decisions I was going through at a very bad time. I know many think I should have left him, either permanently or as a separation, and when I decided to stay with him I was given a TON of support and prayers, even from the women who did not agree with that decision but who supported me for making that decision.

:hug: I love this place!
Parent - - By freps Date 2009-01-29 4:18 PM Edited 2009-01-29 4:28 PM
I've been away from the forum a lot lately, but how can I not take the chance to thank so many of you?

Everyone who posted, quilted, knit, sent, etc while I dealt with breast cancer, radiation and surgeries -- including the hat from Zipper, the coffee from FFF, the M and M's and .25 from Busy Cat with a hysterically funny note, the flowers from SJRunner and Pencils, the chocolates from Nomad and the visits from Donnybrook, who came bearing fruit and the special attention I got from Yaldah and the lovely Dr. Judy who helped me allllll the way through, including playing an evil trick on JBN in the pre-operating room :evil:

Curlygirl, Ankah, Donnybrook, and others who subway rode and supported me through NYCM

zillions of you who dropped everything when I came to town and joined me for a run

WA Runner who has twice fetched me from the airport, and Reebs who took me to the ferry

The crews from both forum relay teams; the first for dealing with my hysteria and illness, and the second for being so easy.....

Metalchick!  For editing my book and being very, very patient AND putting up the Brain so she could go to the DNC!

I think that is all, but there are probably more......
Parent - By yaldah Date 2009-01-29 4:26 PM
:laugh: I forgot about J torturing JBN when you were pre-op. :^O Those two... :roll: :x

Where have you been???? Come back!
Parent - By runningteach [us] Date 2009-01-30 5:16 AM
I should have asked this long ago but did you ever receive the flowers I sent? Hope so.:hug:
Parent - - By Busy Cat Date 2009-01-30 9:48 AM
Everytime those pink M&Ms come out I think of you and giggle. :hug:
Parent - By yaldah Date 2009-01-30 10:27 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By Jdot Date 2009-01-29 4:40 PM
Ok, I'm new here, but I just wanted to let all of you know that your genuine care of each other is tremendous and making me a bit weepy.  This list is beautiful to read.  The goodness of people is just awesome.
Parent - By westendgirl [ca] Date 2009-01-29 9:47 PM
I have been around on and off, but never that regularly, and I agree. I think its awesome. :hug:
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2009-01-29 9:51 PM
Don't worry. We can be back-biting and catty too. But mostly this is a genuinely cool group of women!
Parent - - By Busy Cat Date 2009-01-30 10:21 AM
Being back biting and catty is a nice counter point to all this mushy stuff. I'll have to go post a contraversial topic.... :mischief:
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2009-01-30 10:28 AM
seriously, the niceness is getting to me, can you post something about politics or how you aren't a real womyn if you haven't give birth with no medical intervention?
Parent - By yaldah Date 2009-01-30 10:28 AM
When was the last time we were cleansed? :mischief:
Parent - - By tammyrunchicago Date 2009-01-29 5:21 PM
I've been so lucky to meet a lot of forumites. Oh and the countless times you guys have propped me up, encouraged me and cheered me... sniff, sniff. :hug:
I know I'm going to forget some forumites in advance, so let me say this now: I AM BLAMING MY PREGGO BRAIN. :laugh:

-Fridayfishfry sent me blond brownies when I was having a hard time with some stuff. :hug:
-JPK has been a great friend. I swear, 15 minutes on the phone with her and she can have me laughing so hard I almost pee myself. She was the first person I called after finishing my first marathon this spring. :hug: And she ran a whole half marathon with me last summer, while she was five months preggo and still could have outrun me, but she stuck with me the whole way and we talked the ENTIRE time. : pbbt:
-Stephinco, runningbuff and stormie's twin equine-something (I can remember her real name, but not her online name :blush:) were awesome to me during the Denver relay when I was still recovering from tendonitis behind my knee; stephinco had to battle terrible traffic to get me back downtown from the course to meet an old friend, and she didn't complain a bit. :hug:
Parent - By JPK [us] Date 2009-01-29 5:50 PM
I should thank you for not being horrified when I just pee on the side of the road in races. :blush:
Parent - By tammyrunchicago Date 2009-01-29 5:58 PM
Dammit, I forgot Curlygirl, who sent me running socks last spring when I was in NY and forgot my socks and also sent me the coolest "Finisher" shirt after I finished St. Louis. :hug: And Pricklypear who came in from home into the city to have a belated birthday lunch with me on the same NY trip. :hug::hug:
Parent - - By somerunner Date 2009-01-29 5:22 PM
Swandive and happysnappy have entertained me many times over dinner (hey swandive - I've got to return your Grey's DVDS!). I know I could call on either one if I ever needed anything. When can we hang out next, guys?

Miniscraper has supported me through some tough times without judgment and gave B some cute clothes and booties!  I wish she didn't leave NC.

Carrotkat is a wonderful friend.  We've had some great talks while on the bike and running (and eating! : pbbt:).  I'm so glad she's back on the forums some.  She's as wise as they come and tough as nails. 

Elmtree always reaches out when I am down.  She's also listened when I was falling apart.

Old Turtle has been a nurturing, calming person for me.

WYONan always makes me feel appreciated through her emails and PMs.
Parent - - By swandive [us] Date 2009-01-29 5:35 PM
We can hang out anytime you want. :grin:  My schedule is very open right now. :laugh::roll:
Parent - - By somerunner Date 2009-01-29 5:35 PM
I was thinking we should do a potluck sometime.
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2009-01-29 5:42 PM
Sounds good to me!  Y'all are always welcome at my place, but I understand if you decide it's more convenient to get together down your way. ;)
Parent - - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2009-01-29 5:22 PM
anyone else notice the themes of emotional support, crafts, and baked goods in this thread?
Parent - By tammyrunchicago Date 2009-01-29 5:59 PM
It's what we all need! :laugh::hug: Don't forget fashion advice. :happy:
Parent - - By JPK [us] Date 2009-01-29 5:38 PM
Oh man, too many to list ...

Weedie gave me an insane amount of baby gear. :hug:
Freps' JBN helped me fight da man with my maternity leave. :evil:
Freps and Reebs have offered a ton of career advice. :cool:
Donnybrook has heard me bitch about DH in real life. : pbbt:
Tammyrunchicago has been a wonderful friend and colleague, and helped me rewrite something for work so I sound better. :laugh:
Yaldah sent me US Weekly. :cool:
Arimathea called me and talked me trhrough winding my bobbin (that is not a euphemism! :laugh:)

Those are just actual THINGS. In general, the forum is so supportive and awesome, I love it. :hug:
Parent - - By pricklypear Date 2009-01-29 5:41 PM
You forgot how I motivated you to run faster at the Denver marathon.:grin:

Winding your bobbin?:wtf:
Parent - By JPK [us] Date 2009-01-29 5:51 PM
:cry::hug:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2009-01-29 6:05 PM
Singer sewing machines are not particularly user friendly when it comes to putting more thread on the bobbin.  I have had the same type JPK has for 25 years and I had to haul mine out and go through the motions so I could relay what I was doing to her to walk her through rewinding her bobbin.
Parent - By peaches [us] Date 2009-01-30 10:11 AM
That thing is the reason I do not sew more often!!  I'll have to remember to call you next time I want to sew.
Parent - By freps Date 2009-01-29 5:41 PM
Has your bobbin been wound lately :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:?????

I'm a twelve year old boy, I swear.
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2009-01-29 5:43 PM
:laugh: "winding my bobbin" as a euphemism for something else...

only you, JPK.  Only you.  :laugh:
Parent - By tammyrunchicago Date 2009-01-29 5:59 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh: So that's what the kids are calling it these days...
Parent - By tammyrunchicago Date 2009-01-29 6:00 PM
:hug::hug::hug:
Parent - - By donnybrook [us] Date 2009-01-29 5:41 PM Edited 2009-01-29 5:57 PM
There have been so many amazingly kind and unexpected things forumites have done for me that there is no way I'll remember them all.  I apologize for forgetting anyone. 

Freps and Yaldah trained with me for TCM 2003.  We spent hours upon hours doing long runs together and getting to know each other.  And then, when race day didn't go according to plan, they stuck with me for 10 miles of vomiting, making sure I was okay and continuing to make me laugh in spite of the crappy day.  In the years that have passed since then, they have been amazing friends.

Tammy and JPK sent me flowers when I had surgery last spring, and I'm pretty sure Curls and MJM did too (that whole time period is a blur).  Many others sent me cards and called and were generally wonderful.

And Curls...  She has been my hostess several times when this midwestern girl has visited the big city.  And she's given me gear and gotten completely out-of-my-mind drunk.  I wish she lived next door to me.

JPK, besides showing me that Souix Falls is surprisingly charming, introduced me to her friend J who has now become my very dear friend J as well.  I also wish JPK lived next door.

LuckyDog picked me and my family up at our hotel when we visited her fair city and drove us around and took us to eat at a totally fabulous place.

Just a few nights ago, when I was feeling so amazingly low, Ms. Elmtree called me up out of the blue just to listen to me cry.  It was truly what I needed.

I know I'm forgetting stuff...  Most of all, I know when I log in, that someone will make me laugh, someone will make me think, and someone will listen to me if I really need it.  This is a really amazing place filled with truly amazing women. :hug:

ETA:  gohawki also opened up her home to me during a really difficult time for me.  She was fantastic!

ETA2:  Nomad gave me the lovely scarf I have around my neck right this very second.  Sheesh.  How much of a prompt do I need?!
Parent - - By freps Date 2009-01-29 5:42 PM
...and someone got up at FOUR IN THE MORNING....

cough.  cough.
Parent - - By donnybrook [us] Date 2009-01-29 5:43 PM
Yes, Fran got her ass out of bed at a truly unspeakable time to haul my arse to surgery and then stayed until I was out and being pumped full of fluids.  That is a true friend.
Parent - - By freps Date 2009-01-29 5:44 PM
thank you.  I'm immature today.
Parent - By donnybrook [us] Date 2009-01-29 10:16 PM
And drove me to Whistlestop and listened to me cry last winter when it seemed like everything was going wrong and included me in her holidays and biked with me in my last few miles of the TCM dnf of 2005 and... :hug:  There is no way I can adequately capture the generosity you have given me by being my friend. :hug:
Parent - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2009-01-29 8:22 PM
:shocker!::hug:
Parent - - By tammyrunchicago Date 2009-01-29 6:01 PM
:hug::hug::hug:

10 miles of vomiting???? :cry::cry::shocker!:
Parent - By KirstenD Date 2009-01-29 8:21 PM
Blue PowerAde.  No kidding.
Parent - - By donnybrook [us] Date 2009-01-29 10:17 PM
10 mile of vomiting at *least* once per mile.  I even managed to vomit between the 26 mile marker and the finish. :meh:  Blue Powerade and I have not been on speaking terms since.
Parent - By Jennifer Dale [us] Date 2009-01-30 10:27 AM
Ggoodness, I would think not.  You poor thing. :hug:
Parent - - By yaldah Date 2009-01-29 9:49 PM
That was easily the happiest time I've ever had training for a race. Such amazing memories. :x
Parent - - By donnybrook [us] Date 2009-01-29 10:17 PM
That long run when Ankah was visiting still ranks as one of my favorites. :hug:
Parent - - By yaldah Date 2009-01-29 10:22 PM
Oh, absolutely! Everything went right that day. :x
Parent - - By donnybrook [us] Date 2009-01-29 10:26 PM
Did you see what I said about Mary Z?  I'm still in shock.  The woman hugged me. :shocker!:
Parent - - By yaldah Date 2009-01-29 10:29 PM
Yes, and I'm wondering what the hell got into her!!! :O
Parent - - By donnybrook [us] Date 2009-01-29 10:32 PM
I have no idea.  She had good recommendations for my dad and for my back issues (how we started talking about that I cannot remember).  She was just... nice.  It was so weird.
Parent - By yaldah Date 2009-01-30 10:28 AM
:O I hope you assessed her for signs of a head injury.
Parent - - By JPK [us] Date 2009-01-29 5:44 PM
Oh my god, I forgot the Denver FE: gohawki and fridayfishfry and reebs for sure helped me navigate the Big City. :blush: And I think each of them lent me money at one point that weekend because I had no cash. Because I am an idiot. :laugh:
Parent - By tammyrunchicago Date 2009-01-29 6:02 PM
I love that story! :laugh:
Parent - By reebs (chicken whisperer) Date 2009-01-29 6:06 PM
I was flush with cash on that trip, as I was off on a 3 week vacation after. :blush:

And don't forget we fed you bacon, and helped you spot David Hasselhoff.
Parent - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2009-01-29 8:22 PM
:roll:
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2009-01-29 7:20 PM
All the relay ladies who helped me celebrate my 30th B-day: Freps for the awesome possum cake and everyone for singing "Happy Birthday" as I came in from my first leg.:happy:
Spartan, Mandyvocal, newf, curly, trintorun, weedie, etc who have all offered advice and listened to me on my TTC issues.:hug:

Everyone who has listened to my job issues over the past few years.
Parent - - By elmtree Date 2009-01-29 7:35 PM
I loved that we got to sing happy birthday to you, even if we were awful.  :laugh::hug:
Parent - - By gophergirl [us] Date 2009-01-29 7:40 PM
It was not awful.:hug::happy:
Parent - By elmtree Date 2009-01-29 7:43 PM
Happy Birthday always sounds good if you've got enough people singing loudly.  :laugh:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2009-01-30 10:20 AM
Trust me...it was awful.  Hay Burner the music minister's face was a sight to behold.  :laugh:
Parent - - By KirstenD Date 2009-01-29 7:52 PM
Where to start?

The Euro-Wackos for chatting on CET before anyone in the US got up, and for coming to Darmstadt for our FE when I was on my own with the kids.  :hug:

Helen, who gave me a lovely scarf that I wear all the time, Russian cds, a glimpse into life in Slavutich, and something to giggle about when I'm on the Beltway.  :laugh: :hug:

Magali, who was a superb guide in Paris, and brought her delightful self AND chocolates to the States.  :hug:

Dig.  What can I say?  Blooming constantly. . . :hug:

All the TC ladies for the first-hand reports from home.  :hug:

And another mention for freps, who linked pictures of Figo and Zidane in 2006.  Take your pick.  :hug:
Parent - By magali [fr] Date 2009-01-30 12:30 AM
The visit to Darmstadt was quite an adventure: no map and we couldn't find your house.
I loved running the Limeslauf with Helen and you, I wish my day runs were like that :hug:
Parent - By Digitydig [fr] Date 2009-01-30 12:36 AM
How can I not have thanked your for cheering for me in Paris! :shocker!: Getting to wave at you twice was sooooo good for my soul that day! :hug:
Parent - - By KirstenD Date 2009-01-30 4:42 AM
Tania!  I left you off the list in my Euro-haze. :blush: Thank you for coming to lunch with me and canvassing and Lyle Lovett!  :hug:
Parent - By Taniabird Date 2009-01-30 8:45 AM
Awww...:hug: Those weren't good deeds! Those were fun hanging-out times with a friend!
Parent - - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2009-01-29 8:09 PM Edited 2009-01-29 8:18 PM
Wow. I know I'm going to forget someone so, if I do, feel free to remind me. When I was so broke and had no extra ever, random things would show up in my mailbox. I may have cried a couple times. :blush:

Sportsbras (molly? - you sent them, right?)
Watch (tootie)
Running tights (ezrunner)
Running shoes (becs22)
Harry Potter Half-Blood Prince (Tessa) and Deathly Hallows (SmokinMiles)
Starbucks gift cards (BBS/yaldah/skydancer)
Baked goods (yaldah/skydancer)
Chocolate gift basket/clothes (stealthy)
Christmas gift basket (bluewater)
Graduation gifts (you all know who you are - thank you so much)
Lunch/snacks (prickly - but we traded the treats :hug:)
CDs (stealthy/prickly)
Books (Pencils)
stealthy also knitted a fabulous hat
Lots of cards for Christmas even when I wasn't on the list
Parent - - By pricklypear Date 2009-01-29 8:18 PM
:hug: BTW, did I ever tell you what was on that CD? I can't remember.:blush:
Parent - - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2009-01-29 8:23 PM
No. :blush::laugh:
Parent - By pricklypear Date 2009-01-29 8:56 PM
:blush::blush: Oops! I'll PM it to you.  I need to look it up.  Unless you're enjoying the surprise.: pbbt:
Parent - - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2009-01-29 8:25 PM
OMG. I'm sure I'll remember more. Tessa drove my stinky hubby to the airport after a race and a group of LA women watched my hubby run a big race while Tessa gave me a play-by-play on the phone. :shocker!:

somerunner paid my entry to a 37k that has become an ongoing joke between us. :hug:
Parent - By somerunner Date 2009-01-30 5:40 AM
Parent - - By mollybees Date 2009-01-30 5:52 AM
Parent - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2009-01-30 7:49 AM
Parent - - By Gazelle [us] Date 2009-01-29 9:29 PM
This is possibly the greatest thread ever.  We have SUCH a great group here :grin:
Parent - By swandive [us] Date 2009-01-29 9:51 PM
Yes we do. :hug:
Parent - - By ShannonM Date 2009-01-29 10:07 PM Edited 2009-01-29 10:19 PM
Brooke and DH drove all the way up here for my housewarming party, which was a kindof non-event.  And she made some wonderful food for it while she was here.
The support I got around Carter's early birth was ... indescribable.  Tessa mailed cookies (yum), Reebs brought in fortifications and was the first forumite to meet the little tyke, BusyCat threw in a ton of moral support and some birth announcement cards, and a ton of parenting and marriage advice that kept me sane ... and the PPers-in-exile are a group of their own, including mailing up special things for Carter before his eye surgery (thanks Hearing Things) and books to keep me entertained (thanks, varunner) ...

An amazing group of women for sure. :hug:
Parent - By Glissiere [us] Date 2009-01-30 1:20 PM
Parent - - By runningteach [us] Date 2009-01-30 5:13 AM
Bunny sent me night splints.:hug:
Curly sent me running shoes.:hug:
CG sent me yarn that she spun and it is beautiful.:hug:
Zipper talked me through a knitting problem.:hug:
JPK and her sister drove me to a race/:hug:
Everyone has given me so much support.
Parent - By Zipper [us] Date 2009-01-30 12:49 PM
It's always fun to talk about knitting. :hug:
Parent - - By Nomad Date 2009-01-30 5:58 AM
Wildflower ran with me without complaint when I was slow as molasses :hug:
I wouldn't have visited NY if it wasn't for Curly's hospitality and showing me how the NY girls spectate marathons :laugh:  Plus mjm & Freps made one evening extra special :hug:
Tessa showed me LA which I definitely wouldn't have visited without a guide :hug:
Euro wackos - what can I say: hospitality galore, food, wine, laughs & tears both on & offline :hug:
Prickly gave me an extremely detailed itinerary for a trip to Israel which, while it wasn't for me, was very much appreciated & the trip was the highlight of my friend's year long world travels :hug:
Stormie sent a supportive PM when I was ready to quit the forum, and made me feel less of an outsider :hug:
Runninginaustin & SJRunner showed me Austin when I knew no-one else in Texas & was totally alone for a weekend :hug:  And SJ has probably saved my sanity by answering dumb questions to help me understand my Chinese subcontractors a little better :roll:
Dawn drove across town to spend the evening with me when I was staying with Freps and she had to leave for a business trip :hug:
Freps has fed me, liquored me, advised me, slapped me when required, and best of all introduced me to two of my favourite men in the world :hug:

And my family wonders why I choose to spend my vacation time with forumites rather than them on many occasions... maybe I should send them this list

Oh, and Prickly kindly omitted to mention that I sent those Arabic language tapes without the password to use them :blush:
Parent - By magali [fr] Date 2009-01-30 6:08 AM
I still think about you everytime I see a Palais du Fruit restaurant!
And thanks for suggesting to add the Twin Cities to my US tour :hug:

I really, really want to organise another EuroWacko event... but they are all tied home by kids and you need a major airline hub to get there. :roll::wtf:
Parent - By stormcatcher (celebrate with me) Date 2009-01-30 7:51 AM
Parent - - By Digitydig [fr] Date 2009-01-30 1:35 PM
Wildflower. :hug: Hope she's doing well.
Parent - By donnybrook [us] Date 2009-01-30 1:38 PM
Me too.  I was just thinking about her the other day.
Parent - - By ramblinalong [us] Date 2009-01-30 8:42 AM
Tessa and Jeni took me to dinner in LA pretty much last minute.  And then Tessa picked me up the next day, battled a security gaurd, and took me running:happy:

FFF, Pencils, and Katie provided invaluable knowledge and support when my mom was misdiagnosed with pancreatic cancer.  She actually had a very severe infection in her pancrease and after lots of antibiotics and 4 months of rest is back to her old self again (well, maybe we all had our priorities in life reevaluated and came out better for it)

The MAFIA has been invaluable to me!  They make me realize that mothers and babies and kids come in all shapes, sizes, and forms and that no one is perfect but we're all doing our best together!
Parent - By Pencils [us] Date 2009-01-30 9:45 AM
I'm so glad your mom is OK now.  :hug::hug:
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2009-01-30 4:12 PM
:laugh: What was he going to do, have my car towed with me and the kids in it?
Parent - By Taniabird Date 2009-01-30 8:48 AM
I have to praise the mafia too, for all its support, advice, and friendship, especially last summer when my DH broke his shoulder and threw me into single-parenthood for several months, and last month when my DS decided to stop sleeping.  Lots of non-mafiosos have been incredibly supportive of me too, like KirstenD, Nomad, Runnertype, Runningbuff, Gazelle.   Also, most of these women don't post here regularly anymore (skydancer, mayfly, busycat, lindysmiles) but they were the ones who were in my cohort when I was pregnant with DD, and who helped prop me up in the very difficult weeks after she was born when I was having a really rough time with new motherhood.  They are the best. :hug:
Parent - By laxrunner Date 2009-01-30 9:24 AM
Elmtree sent me an amazing package of goodies. :hug: The kids are loving everything!

Also thanks to everyone for your supportive comments every time I come on to whine. I really appreciate it. :hug::hug:
Parent - - By Pencils [us] Date 2009-01-30 9:49 AM
I don't know where to start.  You guys have done so much for me. Your support and advice during the various trials I've had over the last few years has been invaluable. And thanks to everyone who made the lovely quilt for my wedding, but especially Tessa, whom I suspect did a lot of the work. It lives on the sofa and I love to wrap up in it on chilly days. Also thanks to Bunny and her adorable husband for coming to my wedding. :hug:

I'm forgetting loads of stuff and loads of people I should be thanking, but it's Friday and I'm extra short on sleep! :blush::blush:
Parent - - By Arimathea [us] Date 2009-01-30 10:27 AM
And you have shared an incredible number of book recommendations and care packages of books have shown up in my mailbox...:hug:
Parent - - By Pencils [us] Date 2009-01-30 12:32 PM
Speaking of which, I probably have some for you. Wasn't it your daughter who likes the Lackey books?  There's a new Valdemar one.
Parent - By Arimathea [us] Date 2009-01-30 12:49 PM
She does and she would.  Thank you!

She also loaned a friend in choir the "Magic" trilogy and the friend, after noting how battered and well read those books were, is now tearing through the entire Valdemar series. 
Parent - - By donnybrook [us] Date 2009-01-30 1:32 PM
And Pencils sent me a book I very much enjoyed!
Parent - By curlygirl [us] Date 2009-01-30 6:10 PM
She sent me books too, when I was holed up after the gallbladder came out.
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2009-01-30 10:15 AM Edited 2009-01-30 10:18 AM
squirrelgirl sent me a copy of The Devil's Rejects on DVD which was awesome:hug::hug::hug::hug:
elmtree sent my darling cat Buster some toys and treats (he LOVES the little pop-up tent she sent):hug::hug::hug::hug:
RunningBee MADE my mom an afghan blanket. It's beautiful and she loves it and we were both SO SO touched by her generosity and huge heart.:hug::hug::hug::hug:
triplejake from L&O made a donation to Gilda Radner's charity in honour of my Mum. :hug::hug::hug::hug:
TTD from L&O made a book about us going on an adventure and meeting other forumites. It was hilarious! :laugh::hug::hug::hug:

ETA: All of you here and on L&O have given me tonnes and tonnes of advice and support on many issues so countless good deeds from pretty much everyone on runango. :hug::hug::hug::hug:
Parent - - By classicsnerd [us] Date 2009-01-30 10:30 AM
Gosh. Where do I start.  Whew.

Thank you to all of you for being there for me during some pretty tumultuous years (and they ain't over yet!!).  I bitched, vented, cried, and screamed on the forum (virtually) so many times, and no one ever told me to shut up or get over it.  You were all patient and kind and loving when I really needed it.  I don't know how I would have made it through those 2 years in LA without all of you who were there for me, every day.

special shout-outs go to:
Tessa.  You were an amazing confidante and support when I was out in LA and going through some seriously shitty stuff.  You would drop anything to meet me for a run, and you are the world's best LA tourguide.  Maybe a project for your retirement....? (ha- like that day will ever come!  Tessa retire???)
beletoile, for letting me vent to her on the phone countless times, and for just being a great friend.  So glad I could go to her wedding.  She's become a friend IRL, and we've hung out in person many times.
yaldah, for hosting me for the weekend sight unseen.  Wish we could do that again. :hug:
and to all of you women, who have shown me how many different ways there are to live a happy and fulfilled life.  I'm inspired by each of you, every day. :hug:
Parent - - By freps Date 2009-01-30 10:53 AM
where is belletoile?
Parent - - By yaldah Date 2009-01-30 10:56 AM
She just got her master's degree!!! :cool:
Parent - By Pencils [us] Date 2009-01-30 12:34 PM
That's great. :cool:
Parent - By Beletoile [us] Date 2009-02-01 2:21 PM
Hey!! I thought my ears were burning (or rather, I had no idea. But Mollybees mentioned that she heard about my M.S. online!).
I'm so glad you could come to my wedding, too.
And yaldah, that weekend was amazing. You hosted BOTH of us sight unseen (and let us eat through your entire stash of Cinnamon Toast Crunch, if I recall correctly).

I've been insanely busy lately (and have really stopped running or exercising - so little time, I feel like I'm constantly playing catch-up), but I'm planning to go to my boot camp again tomorrow morning (for the first time in months), so hopefully I'll be back on track after crossing this major hurdle.

I miss you women and think of you often, even though I don't write. :x
Parent - By mandy_vocal Date 2009-01-30 1:19 PM
I keep thinking about this .... and have more to add :blush:

CrazyMex became a dear friend after the passing of Max :hug: Christmas 2007 was extra special thanks to the gifts she sent our whole family :hug: :hug: :hug:

donnybrook picked me up to run the Frozen Half in Jan. 2007 :)  The FE that day was so special.  I was so sad and having the wonderful TC ladies around made me laugh for the first time in over a month :hug:

freps let me shower at her hotel in Iowa City and then treated me to breakfast at the hotel.  Best start to my day!
Parent - - By Globalite [us] Date 2009-01-30 4:39 PM
Wow, you ladies are even more awesome than I knew!  I've had the opportunity to meet a number of cool women from all over the world despite not having actually traveled anywhere!  Someday I'll actually leave the Twin Cities for an FE, I promise.  And I've had lots of fun meeting you all and being welcomed into so many homes.  I even get to go to Dawn's tomorrow!
Parent - By freps Date 2009-01-30 4:43 PM
See you there!
Parent - By gophergirl [us] Date 2009-01-30 5:54 PM
I hope to make it Dawn's tomorrow, but I work and need to get my research proposal done by Monday.
Parent - By SeeKathyRun [us] Date 2009-01-30 4:42 PM
Tessa - (you notice her name is mentioned here alot, she must be a real nice person :)  ) . - picking me up in LAX and then allowing me to ride with her family up to Sacramento for CIM. She didn't even roll her eyes when I wanted to eat Mexican for just about every meal. She was a perfect hostess.

Metalchick - Denver FE - Sue and hubby graciously gave me a ride back to the start after I was done with my relay leg. I just happended to see them and asked them if they could give me a ride. It was raining, cold and I was totally clueless about how to get back to the start.  .  They had to go out of their way, but didn't seem to mind. I really, really appreciated it.

Diane (formerly Di26pt2) doesn't post here anymore - but I she really has been a true friend. she has stuck with me through bad runs and good runs and offered so much support, I could never repay. I need to give her a call. It's been awhile since I spoke with her.
Parent - - By curlygirl [us] Date 2009-01-30 6:06 PM
I don't know how I would have gotten through infertility without the TTC thread. 

And there's mjm.  I'd need a whole thread to list the things she's done for me.  :hug:

But how do I list six and a half years (!!! :shocker!::shocker!: !!!) of forumites and the amazing things they/we do?  All the great runs/drinks/dinner/pancakes when forumites (and sometimes their people!) came/come to town.  DonnyB and Freps came to NYC my wedding, and when I hadn't figured out exactly who was going to do the setup, they, with mjm, got soaked to the bone trekking out to our wedding site and did it.  I wish they lived next door, but also know that in their hearts they are New Yorkers and will come to me.  Yaldah has sent me so many sweet gifts.  The mayhem group, just generally. 

And can I just say, this forum likely got me my job.  Being on the forum had convinced me I could be happy being a total dork about running all the time, and so it was really easy to apply for that part time running store job, way back in 2004. 
Parent - By Mjm Date 2009-01-31 12:57 PM
:hug::hug::hug: Right back at you. I was just sitting here figuring out how to summarize all the things you've done for me over the years. :hug::hug::hug:
Parent - By happysnappy (full of awesome) [us] Date 2009-01-30 6:55 PM
I'm sure I'll forget many things but here goes:

the forum in general for being there for support, good times, bad times, and lots of food and book recomendations.
Nini has given me some great rowing workouts (i promise to use them and your advice more often in the coming months)
swandive for many entertaining dinners together, help around my house on occasion, and in particular the time she detoured to my house after i'd been posting about my stuck attic door on a cold day when I had an awful cold or something.  I really was miserable, past panic, and close to tears when you came to get it unstuck! :hug:
somerunner for more of those entertaining dinners, hosting a fun New Year's Eve FE, and in particular coming to my rescue when my battery died by responding immediately to my email and coming to drive me, bf, and bff around town to find a battery and other transportation.  She's a great listener should ya'll ever get to meet her. 
elmtree and bbsky for coming to my long-distance rescue on one scary, tornado ridden night when I had the misfortune to lose my cell phone while watching tornado sightings reported on my bf's street corner.  They called my family to let them know the phone was missing and I was ok, left numerous messages for bf giving him instructions to head my way when he could, called a coffee shop and restaurant to see if my cell was there, and later checked on me to make sure i was ok.  :hug::hug: I was terrified that night, and oh so thankful to have the help. 
blueberrysky for some great resume advice
Elmtree again for calling to give me a boost or an ear when i've needed one, and being a good friend. 
runningteach for providing advice and calm during this past year of health troubles. :hug:
many of you for giving great resume and job hunting advice at various points of my time with the forum.
And I can't remember who once called me when I needed a wakeup call when my alarm clock and my cell phone display were out, but that was cool too! 

Anyway, i'm sure that's just the tip of the iceburg, but thank you all!  If I remember more specific ideas I may come back and post them.  I do know that I've always found an answer to my questions or need for advice any time I've turned to this forum!
Parent - By spartanrunner Date 2009-01-31 12:38 AM
I forgot numerous diapers I received!  Kitty and Rera!! :hug::hug:
Parent - By Mjm Date 2009-01-31 12:59 PM
Curlygirl, who has done everything and anything, including the most important thing--sitting with me while I was on bedrest for IVF so that my beautiful baby G would stick. She is truly an amazing friend IRL and I never would have met her without the forum.

The mafia women, who have shown me that there are so many ways to be a wonderful mom, and who have helped me figure out how to muddle through this thing called mommyhood. And made me laugh out loud, and waste WAY too much time at work.

Yaldah, for sending gifts and treats, just because, and for letting me stay at her house.

Freps, for being a voice of reason and a role model for how I want to live my life.

Team Mayhem for just...Mayhem. And some really wonderful memories.

I know I've forgotten people. But this group of women is truly amazing. :hug:
Parent - By runningbuff Date 2009-02-01 9:11 AM Edited 2009-02-01 9:22 AM
Late to the party!  What a great thread.  :hug::hug: 

The support I receive daily on here is incredible.  What stands out to me is the AMAZING support after the horrid breakup I went through a few years ago.  Everyone's posts really buoyed me and provided great insight.  I remember Taniabird posting with anger about what a dipshit the ex was, and really realizing for the first time that I had good reason to be angry, not just sad.  Reebs, whom I'd never talked to IRL, gave me her phone number and said I could call her at any hour.  I took her up on it, and her listening and understanding was amazing.  :hug:  Slowgirl offered much wisdom and support at this time, too, which I am so grateful for.  :hug:

Newf offered to be my roommate for the Denver FE, even though we'd never met.  I really enjoyed getting to know her better!  stephinco shuttled me, tammyrunschicago, and equine B all around the course AND made us hot chocolate!

Really, the everyday support and caring from y'all is awesome.  :hug:
Up Topic Communities / Women / Good deeds forumite-style
1 2 Previous Next