Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Omaha Half Marathon Report
- - By Michele Date 2006-09-24 1:00 PM
Thought I better get this posted before I forgot everything!  :laugh:

Spent the weekend warming the bleachers for a couple football games: high school won big, Curtis' team lost big, but I still got my post-game hug. :hug:   XC meet on Saturday morning and Marty got 5th place for the juniors (grades raced)!  Woo hoo!  I have no idea where he gets his speed!!

On to my report . . . had to wear shorts with pockets to carry keys, etc. and since none with pockets have the built-in underwear, I spent a few minutes deciding what would be most comfy.  Thought about commando . . . nope . . . too high . . . too tight . . . just right!  ;)  Or so I thought (see below).

Had to get my packet so I left the house about 5:25 and was parked within 15 minutes.  PRIMO parking spot - woo hoo!  2 blocks from the start, and an easy out when I'm done.  Close enough to go back to the car, sort things out, go back to the bathroom, back to the car, then to the start line - which had changed from the last time I did this run.

Lined up and was waiting and behind me I hear, "Michele?"  I turned around and there's my best friend Kate!  She had forgotten I was running, and I wasn't aware she was running!  It was so good to see her!  Off we go and immediately I knew I'd picked the wrong underwear.  Kate said, "Just pull 'em up tight and pretend you're wearing a thong!"  :shocker!::laugh:  Once I started sweating they clamped onto the butt pretty good, so all is well.  ;)  Kate ran with me for a mile, then she took off.

I had trained doing a 5 minute run, 1 minute walk and that was my plan.  That is until I got going and felt pretty good, so what the heck, how about a 10 minute run, 1 minute walk!  So that's what I did.

Saw a few people I knew along the way, and at the 3.5 mile mark saw my friend Chris and his band playing.  Not sure he recognized me but I waved anyway.  Turned on the road heading to the back entrance of the zoo.  I'd told my hubby he better be on the course cheering me on!!  (He works there, for those who don't know.)  Was running by the maintenance shop and I hear "Go Michele" and there he was with 6 other zookeepers he'd recruited.  :) 

I could not get over what a perfect, gorgeous day it was for running.  I'd worn a short-sleeve top with a long-sleeve throw away, and I'd ditched that at 3 miles.  It was a little chilly, but the sun was out. 

Out the other end of the zoo and then the hills started.  Whoa . . . the course change was new to me and those just went on and on!  My walk breaks never came during an uphill either!  : pbbt:

Once the hills were done, we turned and saw Chris & his band again, then it was a long downhill toward the finish.  Oh, there were a few inclines but nothing that were tough.  About now is when I was wishing the race was over.  My hip/leg were getting majorly cranky.  Darn it.  A weird thing happened at mile 12 where for a brief moment I thought, "OH NO, I'm going to faint!"   :wtf:  I was feeling really weird.

Onto the finish and when my GPS read 13.1 I tell ya . . . I almost stopped!!  My left calf was threatening to seize up, but we had to go around the block and around the cones, before I could stop.  (My GPS read 13.3 and the race director, a lady in our running group, said yeah, it probably was long, the police made us change a couple things.)  :meh:

Finish time on my watch:  2:35:51.  Don't have my chip time yet.  I'm pleased, especially since it is a bugger of a course.  I'm also pleased I was able to maintain the 10/1 run/walk.  :)

The best part was watching Crazy Leonard complete his 98th marathon.  They expected him in 5 hours, but he came in at 4:17 and it was CHAOS!!  Cameras everywhere!!  I happened to be standing by his wife, so I held her purse while she and several others helped Leonard out of the wheelchair and gave him his walker.  He walked the last 20 yards to the finish, whooping and hollering the whole way, and there was not a dry eye in the house.  For those who don't know, I posted a story about Leonard.  He's a long-time runner in Omaha and 2 years ago he went in for a knee replacement, and came out minus a leg.  He contracted an infection and they couldn't save it.  The running club created Crazy Leonard's Relay and people signed up for a mile to push Leonard in the marathon.

Watching Leonard just put so much into perspective.  It's not how fast you are, or how skinny or beautiful, or how much money you have.  You enjoy life to the fullest, and you don't give up.  It's being grateful for your health, and not taking it for granted.  And it's appreciating the ones who love and support you, and being present in the moment.

I was definitely living the moment today, and I loved every minute of it!!  Thanks!  You guys are the best!!
Parent - - By JPK [us] Date 2006-09-24 1:03 PM
Hi. I usually post in women's, but I'm in South Dakota, so you know, Omaha is practically next door!
Congrats on a great race. I've heard Omaha is very challenging!
Fighting off a cramping calf is always scary.
Good job!
Parent - - By Michele Date 2006-09-24 1:07 PM
I may be in Sioux Falls this weekend for a football game - is that close to you?  I hope you're not a U of SF supporter, because I'm afraid you're going to kick our butts!  :cry:  Thanks!
Parent - - By JPK [us] Date 2006-09-24 1:10 PM
I am in Sioux Falls! I don't follow football, so don't worry about me gloating. :grin:
Congrats again on a great race!
Parent - - By Michele Date 2006-09-24 1:12 PM
We were thinking about going up early and biking that trail around the city.  I think I read it's 20 miles around, something like that.  We're still in the planning stages though.  Our son plays for Midland Lutheran and he told us not to bother going that far, since he probably won't play (freshman), and he's afraid they'll get stomped.  I told him that's probably when we SHOULD go - for team support!  Any suggestions for a restaurant with fresh food?  Thai perhaps?  :)
Parent - - By JPK [us] Date 2006-09-24 1:16 PM
The bike path is 19.2 miles around. It's lovely, though it can be very crowded.

I really like Cafe 334 downtown, Spezia (on 26th and Western), Sanaa's 8th Street Gourmet (syrian food on 8th Street downtown -- excellent, excellent food). They're all local, all very good. Spezia has tasty wood-fired pizzas. Oh, and Food and Fermentation downtown has some of the BEST tomato soup on the planet. Seriously. Very good.

Hope that helps. If you want super unhealthy: You can't beat The Keg fried chicken. It's a sick little guilty pleasure. :happy:

I would recommend Food and Ferm for sure.
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-09-24 2:22 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, and I really appreciate that they are LOCAL!  The best!  :)
Parent - - By rgreen45 [ca] Date 2006-09-24 1:10 PM
Wonderful Michele :laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-09-24 8:34 PM
Thanks Ray!  Now it's your turn to keep it going!! 
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2006-09-24 1:36 PM
It's not how fast you are, or how skinny or beautiful, or how much money you have.  You enjoy life to the fullest, and you don't give up.

Michele, you may say that about crazy Leonard, but I think they can say the same thing about you.

I thought you would do pretty well today.  Reading your daily training dosn't sound like a 3 hr runner.   Way to go on a tough course.

Tom
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-09-24 8:22 PM
Thanks Tom!  Too many "experts" have told me to give up.  Guess I'm just too stubborn. ;)
Parent - - By Jim J [us] Date 2006-09-24 3:33 PM
Thumbs up, dudette!

Great determination the past year fighting off all those anoying little aches and pains!  A job well done!

Now...that part about the underwear.....TMI !!!!!!:happy: :happy: :happy:

Once again...a great job on a really great morning to run!

Thanks for reporting on Crazy Leonard! That really is a great story about a really great guy!

I ran the Wabash this morning and I'll report in another post.

Jim J
Omaha
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-09-24 8:21 PM
TMI?  I didn't tell you what color they were!  ;)

It was a beautiful morning in Omaha, wasn't it??  Beautiful day - period!

Hubby and I rode 5+ miles tonight at Boyer Chute, just for fun.  Now fatigue is setting in.  : pbbt:
Parent - - By Soundrunner [us] Date 2006-09-24 4:34 PM
Oh Michele, I'm so glad you had such a good run!!!!  Great job with your plan -- it worked. :)  I did read the link the other day to Leonard.  . . glad to hear he had a great run, too.

Now, about that underwear while running.  No. No. No.   (And, if you haven't yet since I insisted the other week, ditch those damn pantyhose all together!)    
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-09-24 8:23 PM Edited 2006-09-24 8:35 PM
:laugh:  I'm old school . . . need the pantyhose!  But not while running.  ;)

Now it's you, Marc & Lee up next!!  I hope you get as gorgeous weather as I did, although you'd probably prefer some rain! 
Parent - - By MarcRunsSlow [us] Date 2006-09-24 4:34 PM
Woooo Hoooo! Way to go Omaha! :laugh:

Really great you came away smiling. It makes us all smile too.  See :happy:
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-09-24 8:23 PM
Thanks Marc!  Now it's YOUR turn next weekend!!
Parent - - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-09-24 5:39 PM
Congratulations!!!!  What a great run.  I'm glad that you surpassed your goal, and that you had so much fun.  The course sounds tough.  Underwear problems...now that would be bad!  I enjoyed your report so much, thanks for posting.  I was out this a.m. and I thought about you running, and hoped that you had good weather (and you did!).
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-09-24 8:23 PM
People actually think Omaha is flat!  Wrong!  Heck, you should see the hill I live on - someday I'll post a pic.  Makes good training!  :)  Thanks!
Parent - - By NErunner [us] Date 2006-09-24 6:13 PM
"It's not how fast you are, or how skinny or beautiful, or how much money you have.  You enjoy life to the fullest, and you don't give up.  It's being grateful for your health, and not taking it for granted.  And it's appreciating the ones who love and support you, and being present in the moment."

You are so right, Michele.  Thanks for the reminder.  Only you could write a report that would make me cry!

Loved the underwear report!  Just the thought of running in a thong :shocker!:!

Thanks, Michele:hug:.
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-09-24 8:24 PM
There's some things you just don't wear while running.  That would be one of them.  :meh:

Thanks Joy!
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-09-24 6:14 PM
Good running Michele.  The 10/1 ratio seemed to have worked well for you.  And your last paragraph about appreciating your health...living to the fullest...gets right to the heart.  Great perspective.

I did read the story about Leonard that you posted.  That's amazing.  People like him are the real heroes in life. 

Again, congratulations on your ULTRA (13.3)Half-marathon.:cool:
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-09-24 8:25 PM
Thanks Mike!!  Gotta love those real life heroes!
Parent - - By Ron274 [us] Date 2006-09-24 6:25 PM
A big congrats to you " Den Mom ". You done us proud.
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-09-24 8:25 PM
Thanks Ron!  Now do us proud at that TEST on Thursday!!  :)
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2006-09-24 6:47 PM
It was a perfect morning weather-wise here and Omaha isn't ever much different than my neck of the woods, so I knew the running gods were smiling on you this morning!

I'm so happy reading your report - just knowing it all went so well!!

I'm glad the "zoo-crew" turned out in full force too.

And Kate's underwear advice...well, you just never know when that little tid-bit may come in handy:laugh:

Now, rest that calf and bask in the afterglow awhile.

Great Job!!!!!
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-09-24 8:27 PM Edited 2006-09-24 8:36 PM
The "zoo crew" -- I like it!   I'll be resting for at least a week, from running anyway.  We did go out for a bike ride tonight, a little over 5 miles.  Didn't want to waste a perfectly good bike day!  Thanks!
Parent - - By SwiftySuze Date 2006-09-24 6:58 PM
A terrific report, Michele. It's wonderful that you can put the race in this perspective--it makes the experience that much richer.

Thought the underwear thng was pretty funny...:laugh:.

What do you think the fainting thing was about? I have something called Benign Paraxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) left over from a head injury, which is where everything starts to spin if I tilt my head a certain way. It's completely harmless but unnerving when you don't know what's happening (however, now that I understand it, it's just amusing when it occurs). Anyway, your mention of suddenly feeling very strange sounded familiar to me...Hope your "spell" was not too troublesome.
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-09-24 8:29 PM
It was fun, especially seeing so many of my friends.  :)

Not sure what happened.  The first thing my husband said was, "did you have a stroke?"  Um . . not likely, but it was just a really strange feeling.  Maybe I was a bit dehydrated, and the stupid pain in my leg was really starting to bother me, so the combination was probably getting to me! 

Thanks!
Parent - - By badlands_bob Date 2006-09-24 7:48 PM
Way to go, Michele! :grin:

I just got back from working on our house and I just had to see if you had a report to read 'fore I call it a day...

It's good to read a race report from ya after all the issues it sounds like you've had goin on.  Sorry I couldn't get up there to run or spectate this year...but one of these days, we shall FE : pbbt:

Congrats on a well earned finish.....

Bob
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-09-24 8:30 PM
Yes!  One of these days, months, YEARS!!  :laugh:
Parent - - By RBrauerei [us] Date 2006-09-24 7:56 PM
Great job Michele!  Way to get it done. :happy:

And just so Jen B isn't disappointed...

"Just pull 'em up tight and pretend you're wearing a thong!" 

I love a report that includes underwear commentary! :mischief::evil:  And NO Rob, that does NOT include YOUR reports. : pbbt:

And great comments about Crazy Leonard.  Certainly does help put things in perspective...
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-09-24 8:31 PM
Rob.  Thong.  Nope, I don't think so!!  :shocker!:

Around here, it's "GIT 'ER DONE"!  :laugh:
Parent - - By Lori Andersen [us] Date 2006-09-24 8:42 PM
Woooooooooo Hoooooooooooooooooooo!!!  :cool::hug::cool: What a Fabulous Run on a Beautiful Day, Michele!!! It's such a thrill to read how well it went for you after all your dedication and hard work!! Love how you had such a great time out there and even bettered your plan doing the 10/1's. :D

Sounds like a perfect finale being there to watch Crazy Leonard whoop and hollar and come across that Finish Line, too! And,I love how you summed it up at the end... Perfect!

I can just feel your Happiness and it makes me smile!!:happy: Nothing like that feeling after all the hard work! You are a real Inspiration! :hug:

Enjoy that Glow for a good, long time! CONGRATULATIONS!!! ((((((((Michele))))))))
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-09-25 7:52 AM
Thanks Lori!  Like Leonard says, if you're going to do something crazy, you may as well have fun doing it!  :)
Parent - - By GrayDave [us] Date 2006-09-25 5:10 AM
Great job Michele.  I really love this quick turn around on race reports. 
It's a good feeling to exceed expectations.
I don't know how you fit running into your life right now!  (The trip to the South Dakota game you mentioned in another thread sounds like a lot of fun).
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-09-25 7:54 AM
Thanks Dave!  It's all about time management I guess.  When it's quiet at our house and nothing going on, it actually stresses me more! 

I haven't talked Bob into going to SD yet.  He can't take Sunday off from work, so we're trying to figure something else out.  It might turn into a day trip, which is fine too.  :)
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2006-09-25 6:58 AM
Fantastic race and report young lady!!! You ran a great smart race. How you feeling today?

ps I love race reports with underwear talk:evil::laugh:
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-09-25 7:55 AM
Thanks!  Not feeling bad, just fatigued.  I know you'd like the underwear report . . .
Parent - - By Darrell [ca] Date 2006-09-25 7:11 AM
A huge congratulations to my favourite Masters Forumite. It's great that you were able to exceed your run/walk goals and work your way through a calf issue.
Michele, you are in so many ways the glue which holds this group of runners together, through the past several years.  You're always the first and the loudest in your congratulations of our successes and a support through our disappointments and challenges, whether we're wearing our running shoes or our work shoes or our parent shoes, etc., etc. (You even dedicated a third of your Half Marathon report to a fellow "Masters Runner") 

Thanks for giving me a chance to cheer you on, and applaud your achievement. 

YAHOOOOO MICHELE!!!!!
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-09-25 7:57 AM
Thank you Darrell.  :hug:  This is such a great group, and I'm glad you pop in here once in a while!
Parent - - By Deb [us] Date 2006-09-25 7:20 AM
Way to go Michele!!! :cool::cool: Nice job!

I can never stick to the run/walk ratio when I'm in a race for some reason. I'm fine when I'm training but the forces seem to take over when I'm in the race.

Ohhh I can't wear running short without the brief oh no :shocker!: extra brownies points for doing that!!

Watching Leonard just put so much into perspective.  It's not how fast you are, or how skinny or beautiful, or how much money you have.  You enjoy life to the fullest, and you don't give up.  It's being grateful for your health, and not taking it for granted.  And it's appreciating the ones who love and support you, and being present in the moment.

Well said Michele! Congrats on a great race.
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-09-25 7:58 AM
This is the first time I have done the run/walk in an organized event.  Wasn't sure how I'd feel about it, but honestly, it was fine.  Thanks Deb!

Hey we need new pix of the granddaughter!!
Parent - - By JeffRuns [us] Date 2006-09-25 8:58 AM
Nice run Michele.........despite the wardrobe malfunction!! :wink:

Don't stress too much on the distance on your GPS.  If the course is measured per USATF standards you're not going to run the minimum distance unless you cut all the tangents perfectly and run with 30 cm. of the inside of all the curves.  The point of USATF certification is to make sure the course is at least as long as advertised .  Add tothat the fact that the GPS has a certain amount of error and you start to understand why I don't bother with one while racing.

Glad you had fun!!!
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-09-25 9:34 AM
Yeah, I know, I just needed to bitch a little Jeff.  ;)  I did have fun though!
Parent - - By penguinpam [us] Date 2006-09-25 9:05 AM
Michele....what a great report! Sounds like a GREAT time despite the underwear issue! Glad to hear that the run/walk worked for you too. I'm definitely going to be doing that in my marathon, that's the ONLY way this old knee is going to make it!

I loved reading about Leonard also! How inspiring!

WAY TO GO MICHELE!!!
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-09-25 9:34 AM
You'll do great in New York!!  Thanks!
Parent - - By FaithRunner1 [us] Date 2006-09-25 9:23 AM
Way to go Michele!!!!!:happy::happy:
I know how you felt about the light-headedness, I always have to eat something around mile 8, then again at 11 to keep my energy levels up, otherwise I will crash and burn and it isn't pretty.

Congrats on your race and with sticking with your plan. 

Well done Michele!!

Now enjoy the spoils of a successful race and get some well deserved rest.
:grin::grin:
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-09-25 9:35 AM
I'll be resting all week - it's what I thought about on the way to finishing.  I GET TO REST THIS WEEK!!  That carried me through to the end . . . ;)  Thanks Jerry!
Parent - - By GrayDave [us] Date 2006-09-25 9:28 AM
I don't know about you waiting until the last day to figure out what to wear.  You've done more than a few marathons and long races.  You know better than that :grin:

Road Runner Sports actually has some nice shorts with regular pockets that I love.  They're for running, with the liner, but with two front pockets and one rear pocket with a zipper.  I love them at races when I carry my keys and maybe some extra money (that I keep dry in a ziplock) so if I want to buy something extra at the finish, I don't have to walk back to my car.  (I don't know if they make the same thing for women or not.)

(In fact, I have 4 pair - blue, red, black, and yellow.)
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-09-25 9:40 AM
I need to look into those!  I usually have people with me to hold things, but this time I was alone and hadn't thought about it until the night before!  Oops!
Parent - By Yankeebelle Date 2006-09-25 4:04 PM
:hug:  One of the best reports I've read in a long time!
Parent - By murphy26.2 Date 2006-09-25 5:05 PM
Yay for Michele!! We are so proud of you - you set your sights on a strong finish & did it big time!! Hope your hip is ok today & the underwear info was just too funny:laugh: (I must be a commando kind of girl - compression shorts no undies - just like biking:wink:) Nice that your hubby had all his supporters out for you, too:hug:
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Omaha Half Marathon Report