Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Travel / unexpected things you learned traveling
- - By schwing [us] Date 2008-12-31 11:12 AM
what are some lessons or facts you learned in your travels?
Parent - - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2008-12-31 11:52 AM
when staying in a frat house, expect anything.
Parent - - By schwing [us] Date 2008-12-31 12:53 PM
once it has been seen it can not be unseen

I bet it makes for good stories :laugh:
Parent - By Trinity (Troublemaker) Date 2009-01-25 3:06 PM
Parent - - By Trinity (Troublemaker) Date 2008-12-31 5:00 PM
lesson:
the biggest lesson i learned in my travels is that when you smile and be extra friendly with the ticket agents at the counter, they're really helpful and more than happy to help accommodate your request:happy::hug:

fact:
i have extreme fondness for the fancy boodays while staying in a 5-star hotel:blush:

trini:hug:
Parent - - By joerunner (100 mile stud) Date 2009-01-01 11:12 AM
As in extra friendly do you mean like lap dance or sumfin?:wtf:
Parent - By Trinity (Troublemaker) Date 2009-01-01 6:21 PM
:shocker!: is that what you do?  joerunner, does your wife know about this:mutmad:
Parent - - By schwing [us] Date 2009-01-01 6:10 PM
um i think that trick only works for cute chicas :roll:
cos the clerk would be all :mutmad: "why are you making googly eyes at me" if i was to try that

and you must stay at fancy places :O i passed by a "5 star" campground once :cool: i didn't stop to see if they had fancy boodays though :( i bet joe would let you use his

schwing :x
Parent - By Trinity (Troublemaker) Date 2009-01-01 6:33 PM
googly eyes:laugh:  i don't do that, i just smile like this see ----> :grin:

i've only stayed at one fancy place and i think they gave me the fancy suite by mistake:laugh:
trini:hug:
Parent - - By neustkg (Important) Date 2008-12-31 6:08 PM
If you are driving through Kansas and Wyoming in the Winter and you see a sign that says highway closed (due to snow/ice) 300 or so miles ahead, heed the warning and either find an alternative route right away or get on the phone and find a hotel in whatever town near where the highway is closed.  Don't wait until you get to that town, just in case you think they will open the highway.  Most likely, the highway will be closed until the next day.  If you wait, the better hotels will be booked and you will have to deal w/the price gouging roach motels that are left.
Parent - - By schwing [us] Date 2009-01-01 6:13 PM
i was unfamiliar with the concept of highways closing until i drove through new mexico. I was like wtf you an't close a highway. they close them there for dust storms...and you don't have a choice the police just make you pull off at an exit and park in a gas station. I thought it was a scam at first...like they were just trying to get peeps to buy stuff :p
Parent - - By neustkg (Important) Date 2009-01-01 6:52 PM
At least dust storms don't last that long and you can be on your way within an hour or two.  I think they shut down the highways due to snow storms to benefit the local hotel and restaurant business.

In Oklahoma you aren't supposed to drive through smoke from brush fires.  That does make sense.  Also, on a very hot day in the midwest (especially if the grass is very dried out), don't pull over in the grass.  There is a chance that the heat from your hot muffler could possibly start a fire.  I guess this could happen almost anywhere in the US on a very hot day where it's been dry for a while.
Parent - - By schwing [us] Date 2009-01-01 7:13 PM
i didn't think about the car starting a brush fire :O

you can hear old timers in the south talking about switch grass fires. now that we don't have fields of it anymore its not an issue, but I thought it was interesting when peeps were talking about using it as a source for celulosetic ethanol lotsa strories about how dangerous the fires were would be told
Parent - By neustkg (Important) Date 2009-01-01 9:53 PM
Oklahoma's and Kansas' problem is acres and acres of wheat fields and prairies that get dried out in the summer.  Then, during July 4th, you get a lot of drunk people setting off bottle rockets (which are illegal).  Setting off fires everywhere.  Another problem is shake roofs, which can go up, too.
Parent - - By Trinity (Troublemaker) Date 2008-12-31 9:58 PM
aren't you going to answer your own question?:roll:
Parent - By schwing [us] Date 2009-01-01 6:14 PM
um hello if i knew the answer i wouldn't have asked the question :roll:: pbbt:

schwing :x
Parent - - By joerunner (100 mile stud) Date 2009-01-01 11:18 AM
Lesson:
   Actually this one is for my SO.   The gift shop is not "the"  attraction.:roll:

Also, free camping in Walmart parking lots is not all that it is cracked up to be.:roll:

Facts:
  You can get free ice water at Wall drugs in South Dakota.:grin:

Parent - By neustkg (Important) Date 2009-01-01 2:23 PM
Also, free camping in Walmart parking lots is not all that it is cracked up to be.

And probably 15 degrees hotter.
Parent - By schwing [us] Date 2009-01-01 6:17 PM
back in my fridgeratorbox living days walmart camping was the bomb :cool: its kinda nice in a pinch. i don't know if all walmarts allow that anymore though.
Parent - - By Trinity (Troublemaker) Date 2009-01-01 6:31 PM
what's wrong with camping at Walmart.  we need details:cool:
Parent - - By schwing [us] Date 2009-01-01 6:44 PM
ooooh look at me I got a fancy camper with a booday and i don't like to stay at walmart

-joerunner 2009
Parent - By joerunner (100 mile stud) Date 2009-01-02 10:55 AM
:laugh:  Don't you just hate upity people that live in trailers?
Parent - - By joerunner (100 mile stud) Date 2009-01-02 10:56 AM
The blue light keeps me awake and I have nightmares of little people with yellow faces and a big smile.:cry:
Parent - By Blueberry Sky Date 2009-01-03 9:36 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By schwing [us] Date 2009-01-01 6:41 PM Edited 2009-01-01 6:46 PM
some kinda mundane things i learned:
*wifi hotspots are not free in airports and if you have windows sidebar gadgets installed that check the interwebz frequently the airport will blacklist your computer sos you can't access the screen where you sign on to buy service
*if you are flying somewhere and um ...happen to miss your flight, it is not a good idea to catch up to your flight at the next airport on the itenerary cos your ticket is cancelled by then and you have to buy new tickets and pay fees. If you miss a flight just stay at the original airport and reschedule. its not a good feeling to be at the airport watching the plane take off when you already paid for a seat

fact:
the worldwide headquarters for Denny's is in spartanburg, sc and out west they call hardee's carl's jr. which is clearly wrong cos the apostrophy is on the wrong word :roll:
Parent - By Trinity (Troublemaker) Date 2009-01-03 12:15 PM
i don't like the wifi hotspots at the airports cos they charge you.  i think it should be free:roll:

during one of my trips, my luggage didn't make it to my destination:cry:  it took 3 days for the airline to get it to me cos they sent it to Palm Beach:meh:

so lesson learned is always have a change of clothes and toiletries in my carry-on luggage:cry:
Parent - By neustkg (Important) Date 2009-01-06 2:39 PM
Bob's Big Boy is also called Elby's in other places.
Parent - By sideshowbob Date 2009-01-06 2:15 PM
When in Rome, stay clear of Gypsy women carrying a child; they will pick you clean .:sad:
Parent - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2009-02-17 3:57 PM
Don't order the calamari steak when dining in Sacramento - especially when you have to go back and sit in a thousand person conference.
Parent - - By Runner Doug [us] Date 2009-03-15 3:40 PM Edited 2009-03-15 3:43 PM
-When travelng in Italy, be sure you stamp your train ticket in the little ticket stamping thingy BEFORE boarding the train.
-When traveling in Greece, be sure to count your change at restaurants.
-When traveling in Italy or Greece, don't accept "complimentary" bread or fruit at restaurants unless you want them. They will be on your bill.
-Completely contrary to what I'd been told, the French turned out to be very nice.
-In Europe, when a light turns green, exactly one tenth of a millisecond will elapse before horns start honking.
-In Europe, the left lane is exclusively used for passing. Even vehicles going 100MPH move over to the right when not actually passing. But heaven forbid if you're in the act passing someone while going 80MPH and that someone going 100MPH who wants to pass you.
-Public transportation in Europe is dependable. Unless there's a strike, which is most of the time.
-Curiously, while there's no assumed restuarant tipping in Europe as in the USA, restuarant service is better. All the servers in a European restuarant are "your guy".

Doug
Parent - - By Trinity (Troublemaker) Date 2009-03-15 6:45 PM
I agree about the French, they were really nice and friendly when I went.  Of course, that could've been due to the fact that my tongue got all twisted every time I tried to speak French and they were probably trying to keep themselves from dying of laughter.

There's no restaurant tipping in Europe?:shocker!:
Parent - By george [us] Date 2009-03-29 8:11 AM
Yeah, no tipping at all.  The bartenders gave me weird looks when I left Euros on the bar after I got my drinks.  They'll all like "WTF mate?"  Very odd.
Parent - - By elmtree Date 2009-03-15 6:52 PM
Take an empty water bottle through security and fill it at the next drinking fountain or have some drinks and ask the bartender to fill your bottle.  :happy:
Parent - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2009-05-06 11:36 PM
Don't try to take a filled water bottle through security or those TSA peeps will see it on the xray machine and will think you are going to assemble a liquid explosive on the plane.  Mind you, they have no way of telling what the liquid is in the bottle.

But feel free to purchase gallons and gallons of bottled liquids on the other side of security because the very same TSA peeps have dutifully watched those gallons flow through the same xray machine where they verify that indeed, bottles of liquid are passing through the security point where of course they have no way of determining exactly what the liquid is in the bottles.

Go figure.
Parent - By Trinity (Troublemaker) Date 2009-03-19 11:41 PM
note to those who insist on feeding bears - it's not helping:meh:
Parent - - By txrunner2 Date 2009-03-28 7:24 PM
PLease don't clip your Fing nails on the plane, its just disgusting....and I've seen it MORE than once?? wtf is up w/these freaks??
Parent - - By tizzy319 (gaping five hole) [us] Date 2009-03-28 11:59 PM
Well my toes needed clipping..it's not as if anytime during the last 10 weeks would have worked.  I only had time when I got on the plane.  : pbbt:
Parent - By Trinity (Troublemaker) Date 2009-03-29 12:06 AM
gross:cry:
Parent - By tahoeblue (spamkiller) Date 2009-05-06 11:37 PM
Don't sit next to a nose picker on a plane either.  Man does that sucker bleed hard at 40,000 feet.
Parent - By george [us] Date 2009-03-29 8:09 AM
I learned that Delta and RyanAir suck, especially RyanAir, and will do everything in their power to screw you.  JetBlue is actually pretty decent though.
I also learned that if you will be camping, baby wipes are a necessity for a multitude of things: washing your hands, as toilet paper and even function as a way to barter.
Even though they are ridiculously expensive, high-tech, lightweight camping accessories like sleeping bags and pillows that weigh 1/4 lb are worth triple their weight in gold when you are carrying them on your back for hours each day.
Always be prepared to spend at least twice as much as you planned.
When camping at a place that has no refrigeration facilities, a case of cold beer is worth an astounding amount of money.  (30 Euros for a 24-pack of shitty beer?  No way!!  Wait, it's cold???  Sweet deal!!!)
Up Topic General / Travel / unexpected things you learned traveling