Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Tranquil Thursday
- - By GrayDave [us] Date 2006-09-21 5:11 AM
I know I'm only speaking for myself, but it's a tranquil day for me because it's a rest day.  And I can enjoy it since my runs on Monday-Wednesday went pretty good.  And I have been able to avoid junk food for 3 days (a new modern day record for me).  Having that half-marathon in 6 weeks was a real kick in the butt.

Go ahead and share you tranquil or turbulent Thursday stuff.
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2006-09-21 5:33 AM
Good morning Dave. Fairly tranquil here also. At work and nothing bad going on. Will run at lunch. I'm going to try and squeeze in 8 miles. Heading straight to work to meet the famliy for Calebs (13) soccer game. And then home for chow. Other than that not much going on.

Peace
Parent - By BobSanone [us] Date 2006-09-21 5:35 AM
Near perfect morning this Tranquil Thursday! 56* with a slight breeze and cloudless skies:hug:

6 easy enjoyable miles:grin: That I hope to compliment with 5 more easy miles this afternoon at out running club's monthly social run.:cool:

BobS
Parent - - By SwiftySuze Date 2006-09-21 5:47 AM
Hmmm. Not so tranquil here. I've been training for my upcoming tri for a year now and last night my DH tells me he's caught a cold:shocker!:. Let's see, if it takes four to five days to incubate then I could be coming down with it...:shocker!: on race day!:cry::laugh:

Would it be rude and uncaring of me to ask him to move out of the house for a few days?:wtf::laugh:

Anyway, I was so wound up last night after my party for the students, that I couldn't get to sleep until 3am, and I woke up at my usual 5am. So I think I'll just take a rest day today and get my cross training in by trying to dodge cold germs.

Cheers, y'all.

Oh yeah, P.S., I've been thinking about my next goal and I've just about talked myself into a marathon. This group is a bad influence...
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2006-09-21 7:03 AM
Well, you could just walk around behind him with a can of Lysol and don't let him touch/kiss you for the next few days :laugh: Maybe it's his imagination that he's got a cold.

Oye, 2 hours of sleep. That's sounds like me sometimes. Hope you get a better nights sleep tonight.
Parent - - By SwiftySuze Date 2006-09-21 8:09 AM
Sadly, I think it's the real thing. I just went in to wake him up because he seemed to be sleeping later than usual (he likes to go in early on days he has classes), and he just told me he's skipping class today :shocker!:. I don't think I've ever known him to skip a class because he was sick! Skipping a class is major major...

And then he said, "If you get sick, it'll be my fault." Awwww:sad:...I hope I don't get sick and miss the race because then he'll feel guilty!

As for Lysol, I'll confess that I got up to watch TV because I couldn't sleep and wiped down all the remotes with Clorox wipes :laugh:!
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2006-09-21 11:18 AM
And no smooching him:shocker!:
Parent - - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2006-09-21 7:12 AM
I say either kick him out for awhile or come stay with me and the kids...there are no germs at my house:wink:

Stay healthy!
Parent - By SwiftySuze Date 2006-09-21 8:16 AM
With your crew?--I'll bet!
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2006-09-21 7:22 AM
At the very least, confine him to one room in the house, use lots of hand sanitizer, and drink some green tea!
Parent - By SwiftySuze Date 2006-09-21 8:16 AM
I'm a tea drinker from way back.:grin: I think it's the best fluid in the world! Recent studies have also shown that it (and coffee) are not the de-hydrators people have thought them to be, either, so that's a green light on tea as far as I'm concerned...
Parent - - By Michele Date 2006-09-21 7:46 AM
Lots and lots of Vitamin C!  My son has caught something too, and he has a race on Saturday and Monday.  :(
Parent - By SwiftySuze Date 2006-09-21 8:10 AM
Bummer! Hope he recovers enough to run.
Parent - - By JeffRuns [us] Date 2006-09-21 7:53 AM
You may wanna shrink wrap your husband Susan.  Just to be safe.  :wink:

Definitely try to stay away from him (sorry dude) and wash your hand a lot.

How are you feeling about the race.  Ready for a stellar debut?
Parent - - By SwiftySuze Date 2006-09-21 8:13 AM
Hand washing has been amped up since he made his announcement. As for shrink wrap...hmmm...

I think I'm pretty good to go on the race, thogh my training has dropped waaaaay off since school started. It's hard to find the time to bike. I've pretty well kept up the swimming and running, though. I think I was more ready a month ago, but I'm confident that I did enough training over the summer that I'll finish without too much worry (provided I'm not sick!:grin:). As for stellar...we'll just have to see!
Parent - - By JeffRuns [us] Date 2006-09-21 8:42 AM
I'll be rooting for ya!!! :hug:
Parent - - By SwiftySuze Date 2006-09-21 9:14 AM
Thanks, pal! I'm really looking forward to it.
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-09-21 9:29 AM
Good luck with it, Suze.  Keep hydrated and rested as much as you can, and avoid poor hubby like the plague! :grin:
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2006-09-21 6:03 AM
Good Morning Dave and Friends,

Back to School Night tonight.  This is not too bad, just makes a long day.

17 days Sugar Free, 17 days junk food free.  I'm doing the quarter pounder diet.  Eat a 1/4 pound less each day than you are supposed to.  Should lose 10 pounds in 40 days.   Stay tuned.  It was tough at church dinner last night with all those pies and cakes.   Running this afternoon.

Tom
Parent - - By GrayDave [us] Date 2006-09-21 6:11 AM
I have heard of the 2 pound diet, but the quarter pound diet is new (to me).  How do you determine how much your are supposed to eat in the first place?

(Here is the 2-pound diet: http://www.heartmdphd.com/wtloss.asp)
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2006-09-21 7:13 AM
I thought it was a diet where you ate nothing but 1/4 pound burgers!
Parent - - By Yankeebelle Date 2006-09-21 6:15 AM
Our church dinners would do most people in, too.  Too many desserts and all those ladies telling you to eat more...:happy:
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-09-21 7:46 AM
I'll second that!!  Where there's food, there's a Lutheran close by.  ;)
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-09-21 9:08 AM
Church dinners are a dieter's nightmare.  Fortunately I'm not a dieter, but gluttony is a sin.:evil:
Parent - By ironjen Date 2006-09-21 7:01 AM
Oooh, church dinners. That's why I like doing that 5K race in August. You know, the one where they NEGLECTED to bring all the cakes and pies : pbbt: Sounds like you are doing quite well in your days of sugar/junk free eating. Nicely done.

Enjoy your run this afternoon.
Parent - By SwiftySuze Date 2006-09-21 8:19 AM
I haven't been doing any church dinners, but I had an in-laws anniversary party/reunion weekend, a potluck for my students last night, and my own family reunion this weekend--talk about having to be firm! I feel your pain!
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-09-21 9:30 AM
Excellent way to resist temptation!  I always feel that the more junk food I eat, the more I want.  It always seems to me that I do better just going without the sweets/junk food.
Parent - By Yankeebelle Date 2006-09-21 6:15 AM
Planning to use the elliptical later this afternoon and weights tonight.  :grin:
Parent - By Ron274 [us] Date 2006-09-21 6:51 AM
A cool fall morning in Philly. A comfortable 50F for a 45 min. tempo run and felt pretty good all the way. Off to school shortly. Doing lot's of review for the final which is next Thursday. Crunch time!
Have a great day everyone.
Parent - - By ironjen Date 2006-09-21 6:58 AM
I don't know the meaning of the word tanquil anymore : pbbt: And Dave I haven't had junk food since SUNDAY! That's 4 days and I'm on day 5. I am frankly amazed. My motivation is the money I spent to help me loose weight though not any race.

Today is a rest day. It's John's second stretch day at work this week so it's just Amanda and I all day. Right now the guy from Tweeter is here to replace a part in our big screen tv. It's going to cost $450+ to fix :cry: Some please tell the gods of broken stuff that I'm over it already? Anyway after that we are going to go to the book store to visit a friend. Panda is being high maintenance today, so by the days end I ought to be hairless : pbbt: We might go to the park for a walk just to get out of the house but that remains to be seen.

I should comment that I had no ill effects on the hip with running 2 days in a row (tues & wed). WHOOHOO! So that means I can start adding some miles next week.
Parent - By SwiftySuze Date 2006-09-21 8:20 AM
Good news about the hip, Jen!
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-09-21 9:31 AM
Great news, Jen!!  (not about the big screen, but about the run...)  Sounds like you are getting over that hip thing.
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2006-09-21 7:25 AM
65°, slight breeze.  Perfect run, sun in my face for the first half and warming my backside for the second.  ahhhhh..........
Parent - - By Michele Date 2006-09-21 7:50 AM
This whole week has been a wash-out.  I'm just crossing my fingers my legs will know what to do on Sunday.  I had good intentions to do my final run this morning, laid out my clothes, but when the alarm went off it was also thunder and lightning outside.  The thought of the treadmill did not lure me out of bed.  I thought we'd get a bike ride in tonight, absolutely nothing on our calendar, but the rains are suppose to fall all day.  Guess I'll stay home and do laundry.  :meh:
Parent - - By dnaff [us] Date 2006-09-21 8:39 AM
What's the weather forecast for Sunday?
Parent - - By Michele Date 2006-09-21 9:32 AM
Maybe 45 at the start, cloudy, possible rain.  Perfect!  :)  Although I think it might be a bit windy.  It's a tough course, lots of hills.  For the marathoners, the second half is pretty flat.  The fun thing is that it runs through the zoo, where my husband works.  I told him he better get the word out that I'm coming through, because I'm going to want some LOVE from everybody!  :laugh::hug:

Here is the coolest thing about the Omaha Marathon this year:  http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/3/3_5/omaha-marathoner-will-par.shtml

Leonard is well known in the running community, and his whoops and hollers carried me across many a finish line!  If I wasn't running myself, I would have pushed him.  I can't wait to see him finish that last 20 yards!!
Parent - By dnaff [us] Date 2006-09-21 10:04 AM
Thanks for the link - what a great story.  My 6th grade teacher (yes I do remember that far back!) had the same last name.

I hope you get to see him at the finish.  If there's a picture in the local paper of him finishing, send that link too!

As for you, I would expect even if it is windy there won't be quite as much during the "zoo leg" of your run.  I hope your husband organizes a cheering section complete with banners.  That will be the most fun part of your day.
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-09-21 9:32 AM
I don't think a little rest will hurt.  Good luck!
Parent - By JeffRuns [us] Date 2006-09-21 7:55 AM
It'll only be tranquil after I finish my run tonight.  Today's my hard training day.  Butthe wife and daughters are going to see Alan Jackson i nSpringfield, MA tonight, so it'll just be me and the dog after I'm done training.

I rode a relaxed 90 minutes on the bike last night in beautiful conditions.  Swam 2600 yards this morning and then I have a fartlek workout (6 - 8 X 3 minutes at LT effort with 2-minute recoveries) on tap for tonight.

Run strong people!!!
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-09-21 9:12 AM
It's tranquil so far for me.  Another XC meet this afternoon, so I won't get home until 8:30.  There could be a little turbulence on a 30 minute bus ride with ansty, excited 9-13 year olds.:shocker!:

It was a tad nippy this morning for my 5 mile run.  I ran 10 miles yesterday afternoon on the trails.  That's the first time I've ran on the trails for a while so it felt good to be back in the woods.
Parent - - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-09-21 9:38 AM
I hope that the meet goes well, Moose.  I think that it is terrific that there is cc running in that age group.  Enjoy that rowdy bus ride!
Parent - - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-09-21 12:29 PM
Thanks.  There's XC in this age group only because I volunteer my time to do it though.  Not trying to toot my own horn, but I just enjoy doing this with the kids.
Parent - By Michele Date 2006-09-21 1:50 PM
Toot away - that is awesome!!! 
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-09-21 4:29 PM
I think that it is terrific that the kids can exercise in a way that isn't football, baseball, or soccer.  Not that there is anything wrong with those, but running is a lifetime sport and a great benefit in so many ways.  Good job, Moose!!
Parent - - By Grey Beard Tom [us] Date 2006-09-21 10:29 AM
Mike, do you have a GPS that tells you distances as you run trails?  Or do you use some other means of distance measure?

Tom
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-09-21 12:30 PM
The trail I run is already marked and measured by the city that owns it.  Yesterday though I did use my GPS and it is accurate. 
Parent - - By Soundrunner [us] Date 2006-09-21 11:01 AM
I've been following your xc reports.  Love to read about your kids!  Have fun today. 
Parent - By Kymoose [us] Date 2006-09-21 12:31 PM
Thanks Krista.  I'll let you and everyone know tomorrow how things go today.  The race distance today is a 3K so that's a real stretch for some of my kids.
Parent - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-09-21 9:37 AM
Great weather here.  I wore (at 8 a.m.), a long sleeved thermal top, sleeveless running top and shorts.  It is beautiful and just a tiny bit chilly.  I had an excellent run - not as stellar as last week's but pretty darn close, and I'm still chopping off minutes! on my 4 mile route without racing it. 

No other great plans for today.  Just being tranquil, I guess. :happy:
Parent - By FaithRunner1 [us] Date 2006-09-21 10:08 AM
Ran 4 miles (there-abouts) of speedwork yesterday at around 10K pace which translates to about 7:40 to 8:25 pace, I know, I am slow in comparrison to a lot of you but hey it works for me or least it did yesterday:grin:

Slated to run another 3 or 4 miler but slower today.

There is something (illness) going around, like a flu-bug here at the office...I really don't want to get it but I am feeling weird (yes more than my usual self).  Vitamin C time!!

Run well, run safe all.
Parent - By Soundrunner [us] Date 2006-09-21 10:57 AM
Good morning, Masters. 

Another rainy one here in Seattle.  Dark outside right now. I'm loving the fall weather for running. Not so good for kids' soccer practices and games.  I've been running during my son's practices (daughter and husband have their practices on the same days/time, so I have to fill the time); beats freezing.  Last night they scrimmaged a girls' team.  I had finished running and shivered for the remaining half hour.  Ashamed to say I was loving watching the girls give the boys a hard time.  :evil:  I was so impressed -- I haven't watched a girls team that age and some of them were damn fast.  Of course, my son just couldn't admit they were good as we drove home.   :laugh:  Rainy pattern is supposed to break for the weekend, though.

I plan to do some mile repeats after work. 

I think I need to post more often to counter all of you health nuts here these days. I take another bite of my strawberry Pop Tart in your honor. :evil:

Have a good one! 
Parent - By OldAndInTheWay Date 2006-09-21 11:18 AM
Ok got 8.2 miles in on my lunch 'hour' well a little over an hour...sh don't tell my boss. Weather was great. Upper 60's, sunny and a light breeze.
Peace Out
Parent - - By Lee Tri-s [us] Date 2006-09-21 11:38 AM
Had a 30 minute tempo run in the rain this morning.  Gave up on the bike ride to school again-- wimped out and took the car. 

Suze-- DON'T sleep with that germ infected husband of yours.  Use the guest room, kid's room, couch, whatever.  Even if you have a king size bed, those germs are just too close.  He'll understand.  The important thing here is we want to hear all about your tri this weekend. Got it?  :mutmad:
Parent - By SwiftySuze Date 2006-09-21 7:58 PM
I'm taking your advice, Lee. I went to the store and got him some medicine, fixed soup and a sandwich for him, and then told him I love him, but I'm sleeping upstairs in my study tonight:laugh:!

The good news is that I just got off the phone with my sister, who is a nurse (she sees a lot of colds!). She told me that by Saturday he won't be very contagous at all. So if I can just avoid him tomorrow...:meh:
Parent - - By rgreen45 [us] Date 2006-09-21 11:53 AM
It's a tranquil day but I do plan on 3 easy miles tonight. I'm going to go to a 5k on Saturday. I miss the gang and I'll do an easy mile before, trot the event, then do another mile. That'll give me a 5 mile long run.

Hey, it's a start.
Parent - - By JetGirl [us] Date 2006-09-21 4:31 PM
Hey, RG, the key word is trot!!!!!  Glad that you are doing so well.
Parent - By rgreen45 [ca] Date 2006-09-21 6:20 PM
Thanks Jet. I know many of the locals and I plan to tag with someone I know runs at a pace that will be comfortable for me. I feel great while running but I know I need to be careful for a while yet.
Parent - By penguinpam [us] Date 2006-09-21 12:26 PM
7.5 miles on the treadmill. My allergies are really acting up and I even had to use the asthma inhaler last night......got about 4 hours sleep, so I didn't really want to go outside to run.

Tranquil here.....until Conor hits the door around 3:30:hug:
Up Topic Communities / Masters / Tranquil Thursday