Not logged inRunango Running Forum
Forum Reset Last Read Help Search Register Login
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Seinfeld
- - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-04-25 7:21 AM
We've been watching Seinfeld reruns recently.

I remember really liking it back when it was still on TV.

It's lost a lot of its luster. Some of the bits are still pretty funny but I'm finding that a lot of it amounts to little more than talking loudly and beating a joke to death.

Discuss.
Parent - - By insistor (needs a bigger dick) Date 2018-04-25 7:39 AM
I recently did the same, I tried to start from the beginning but those were painful to watch. I jumped ahead to about season 6 or so and thought those still held up fairly well. You wouldn't like Curb Your Enthusiasm if you don't like a joke being beaten to death but the later seasons of it are great, especially the Seinfeld reunion ones.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-04-25 7:59 AM
I've never seen Curb Your Enthusiasm.:shocker!:

I have been enjoying seeing what shoes Jerry wears, he's a pretty big Nike fan. In the episodes last night he was wearing the Air Huarache and Jordan VIs.:cool: I think that the DVDs I checked out and have been watching were from Season 6 or 7.
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-04-25 8:33 AM
You should watch his "Comedians in cars getting coffee" series. Could as well have called id "Comedians with sports shoes in cars getting coffee"  :wink:
He's wearing business casual with sports shoes every time :laugh:
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-04-25 8:40 AM
I've seen some of those. The guests are pretty hit or miss for me. The shoes are always on point.
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-04-25 8:49 AM
Yes they sure are hit or miss, but then again it's only 15 minutes.
I hated the one with Miranda Sings. I was cringing all the time, it was not funny at all.
But the one with Sarah Silverman was super good.
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2018-04-26 1:17 PM
Curb Your Enthusiasm is one giant in joke about life in LA.  I could see where it might not be as well received elsewhere.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-05-03 7:56 AM
We watched a couple of season 3 episodes last night that were really good - one where Jerry and Elaine hook up George with one of Elaine's friends and another where George and Jerry pretend to be someone named O'Brian so that they can get a free limo ride, not knowing that O'Brian is a hated Nazi author.

Good stuff.
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-05-03 2:04 PM
He can lift 100 pounds right up over his head!
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-05-03 4:00 PM
:laugh:
Parent - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-04-25 8:00 AM
I will watch it occasionally.  Blazerman and I know every episode backwards and forwards and have told the kids that Every Single Day......something in their life was covered in a Seinfeld episode. True Fact. We drive them crazy with references.
Parent - - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2018-04-25 8:10 AM
I've seen every episode so many times I don't think I could watch it again. We quote it often at the office, especially me and one of my coworkers. I think we reference the Movie Phone episode at least once a week.

I am pretty sure they've sold some of the episodes for retroactive product placement (originally a background storefront that would have been a mom and pop café has now been digitally changed to a Subway, for example), so it would be worth it to me to keep an eye out for that. Otherwise I've got what I need in my trusty old brains. : pbbt:
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-04-25 8:19 AM
I hadn't heard that about the edited signs.

I watch for the shoes.

Air Trainer SC, Air Mowabb, Air Jordan VI, Air Huarache, Air Tech Challenge III. :cool::cool::cool::cool:
Parent - - By LDR (100 Mile Stud) [us] Date 2018-04-25 8:19 AM
I saw Seinfeld for the first time in 2014.  I thought it was pretty funny, and still do, if I haven't seen that particular episode before.

However, watching a rerun of The Office recently didn't do it for me -  that's what she said  :roll:
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-04-25 8:40 AM
I just can't get myself to watch an episode of the US Office. I've seen the British one multiple times (not a lot of episodes though) and it's still on spot.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-04-25 8:41 AM
The British version was/is fantastic.

I've seen maybe three episodes of the US version and wasn't really into it.
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-04-25 8:47 AM
The two best sitcoms ever IMO are Arrested Development and The Office (British).
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-04-25 9:09 AM
THIS
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-04-25 8:46 AM
I had a Seinfeld thread not long ago about Comedians in cars getting coffee (CiCgC).

Was never a fan of the Seinfeld sitcom, especially his small stand-up bits, they were just zero funny and lame to me.
The only episode I remember was the bald dude having the Pac-Man high score and wanting to buy the Pac-Man arcade and get it home without it losing power.

But I love CiCgC and his general demeanor so it made me wonder if I should try watching the Seinfeld series again.
Watched a couple of his stand-up shows on Netflix and enjoyed those as well.
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-04-25 9:09 AM
Yes, my wife and I both have noticed how painfully bad the stand up bits during the show are.:cry:
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-04-25 9:47 AM
Seinfeld is more of a gentle story-teller with little twists left and right than really the big pun dropper (which I now noticed after watching his other longer shows and CiCgC).
His bits on the sitcom where really too short to get into the "funny" mood. Like, you need the dude for at least 5 minutes for it to become funny. That's why in his other shows I really enjoy his intelligence and wit.

Something he told in CiCgC in a conversation was that he never felt like a real actor, whereas in his sitcom the other people were really great actors.
It wasn't Jerry who made the show funny, it was Kramer, Elaine, George, Newman, ...
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-04-25 10:28 AM
All true.

I find him generally likable and entertaining on CiCgC.
Parent - - By stickywicket Date 2018-04-28 3:00 AM
My DH and I met because of Seinfeld. :cool: we know all the episodes backwards and forwards and every day there is at least one situation that requires reference to it. We annoy a lot of people.

We've watched some episodes again. There are a few duds in the early seasons, but otherwise, it's gold, Jerry! Gold!
Parent - - By blazer85 [us] Date 2018-05-02 10:54 AM
Blazerman and I are the same way.  The people we annoy about the daily Seinfeld reference is our kids!

It's the BEST Jerry, THE BEST!

Blazergirl told me she has started saying this on regular basis and she hates when she catches herself doing it!
Parent - By stickywicket Date 2018-05-03 2:00 PM
Today's relevant quote: I will never understand people. They're the worst!

Actually, that one's relevant pretty much every day.: pbbt:
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-05-02 10:21 AM
"Dr Cosmo Kramer...Proctology" :laugh:
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-05-03 4:01 AM
I've been watching another special on Netflix (one from 2002, where he starts from scratch with new material back in the comedy clubs).
It occurred to me how meta he is about stand-up. Like his shows are not "stand-up" (well, there is part of that too), but always about and around doing stand-up.
Same with CiCgC, it's talking with colleagues about the business. His sitcom was about him being stand-up comedian.
I actually enjoy that take though :wink:
Parent - - By Tim [us] Date 2018-05-06 9:10 PM
Hello Newman
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-06-26 5:44 AM
I just now got that :shocker!:
In my defense, it only began to come a shtick in season 4, and I'm at the end of season 4 now.
Parent - - By peaches [us] Date 2018-06-22 2:50 PM
I reference Seinfeld all the time at work and all the millennials who have never seen the show think I am hilarious.
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-06-26 5:42 AM
Not that there's anything wrong with that!
- - By adamswims (Gone Now Adam! You pick what you want.) Date 2018-04-25 10:28 AM
Dead to me. :meh::mutmad:

Message edited by: sack_boy
Parent - By gadget girl Date 2018-04-26 1:17 PM
Parent - By sunshine (bisexual philanderess) [us] Date 2018-04-27 5:31 AM
:laugh: totally

fwiw I find the episodes much funnier now than when they first came out. :wtf:
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-05-02 4:27 AM
I had to search Seinfeld in what Sack_Dude posted in the past to get this reference :wink:
- - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-04-25 12:49 PM
I recently had an exchange of messages with an incoming houseguest about whether or not I kept coffee in the house that I was pleased to be able to use to link to this classic bit.
Parent - By BrookieCookie (Canadian Beaver) Date 2018-04-25 1:06 PM
PeePees and WeeWees in the 5 Chinese Brothers! :cry::shocker!::laugh:
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-05-24 2:57 PM
I watched that episode a couple of days and definitely one of the highlights of season 3 :cool:
- By stickywicket Date 2018-05-02 12:00 AM
I had a meeting with a low talker today. I have no idea what it was that I agreed to do.
- By JimGo1 Date 2018-05-02 6:32 AM
One of my favs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csuZHyW-iGI

Always loved the show and still holds up for me anyways :happy:
- - By triplejake (The Vampire Lestat) [us] Date 2018-05-03 9:17 AM
I watched an old episode of The Office last night where one of the characters was complaining about "that horrible Charlie Rose." :shocker!: Spooky!
Parent - - By mkh (Mr. Fashionista) Date 2018-05-03 10:47 AM
Watched a lot of The Office during leave, and to be honest, it's funny, but that show is just full of terrible people.
Parent - - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-05-03 11:04 AM
except Creed, Creed is the best
Parent - - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-05-03 11:31 AM
With arms wide open...
Parent - By brneydrnnr (barney cougar) [us] Date 2018-05-03 2:15 PM
:roll:
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-05-07 8:55 AM
That song always tears me up :cry::hug:
- - By Tommeke Date 2018-05-06 4:29 PM
Watched the 3 first episodes. It was good.

Funny thing, during the pilot the bits he does as a stand-up are taken from his regular stand-up act 'cause I knew all of them :laugh:
So that means he was still using the same bits from before '89 in his '99 show as well.
But the second and third episode looks like he's doing bits written for the show exclusively.
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-05-06 6:01 PM
I would like to correct myself after watching episode 3 (4 if you count the pilot).
He opens with another stand-up bit that he also did in his routine.
Parent - - By N70SAK Date 2018-05-07 6:24 AM
For the first season or two they included staged bits of him doing stand up but eventually dropped them.

One thing I loved about the show was that there never was a heart-felt moment in the entire series.  Now cute moments with kids. If someone died, it was funny. No one ever learns a lesson. No marriages or babies for the main cast. Just a lot good jokes and schadenfreude.  :grin:
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-05-07 7:29 AM
Very true.
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-05-07 8:11 AM Edited 2018-05-07 8:16 AM
There were a lot of jokes that I thought were pretty risky too.
Like Elaine sits the weekend on Seinfeld's apartment and Seinfeld put a couple of rules up, one there being "no sex", "and if you really can't help it, do it in the bathtub, that makes it easier for everyone to clean up" :laugh:

What really surprises me as well is how women are dressed in the first season (1990). So old fashioned :laugh:

Best joke so far...Jerry goes to the bank with George, where George is holding a huge jar of nickles and dimes...
Jerry says "why are you holding on to that jar, how much money is that going to be anyway?"
George "Are you crazy? I heard someone paid his vacation with a big jar of change!"
Jerry: "Vacation to where? To the penny arcade?" :laugh:
Parent - By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-05-07 8:15 AM
I agree about the clothing.:laugh:

Elaine has some dresses that would look more at home in an episode of Mama's Family.:cry:
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-05-07 9:13 AM
That is something that I hated about shows like Full House and Fresh Prince (and all other family sitcoms).
The 3 year old acting out which of course is always seen as "funny cute". I always found those scenes so cringe-y.
With Seinfeld there is just no morale to the show, so that helps. Also none of them have kids :laugh:
- By The Beard (is wearing Arm Panties) [us] Date 2018-05-07 7:29 AM
Last night we watched the Kenny Roger's Roasters episode. Funny.:laugh:
- By sideshowbob Date 2018-05-07 8:09 AM
I’d say the show predated Trump : George Constanza  “It’s not a lie if you believe it .”
- - By Tommeke Date 2018-05-24 2:52 PM Edited 2018-05-24 2:58 PM
Jerry: Name one paranormal thing that happened to you?
George: I knew I was gonna be bald!
Jerry: Your father's bald!
George: Baldness is inherited from the mother's side, Jerry!
Jerry: But your mother is bald too !

:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By whollymoly (manliest boy) Date 2018-06-12 4:21 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Parent - - By Tommeke Date 2018-06-12 4:58 PM
which actually isn't true because in the episode I just watched George's mom is in the hospital because she hurt herself falling down when catching George in the act of spanking his monkey.
She had hair. Could have been a big though.
Parent - - By whollymoly (manliest boy) Date 2018-06-18 4:03 PM
Baldness is inherited from the Mother's side; meaning, if your Mother's Father was bald, so will you be, too!
Parent - By Tommeke Date 2018-06-19 4:38 AM
I didn't think of that :blush:

Yesterday I saw the episode where Babu gets deported back to Pakistan because Elaine picked up Jerry's mail while he was out of town and waited weeks to give it to him.
unknowingly it also contained Babu's green card renewal form :sad:

Luckily this is all fiction as the US is a very welcoming country to foreigners and refugees as stated on the Statue of Liberty (dixit Seinfeld in the episode):

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!”
- By Tommeke Date 2018-07-03 5:45 PM
This is our best model, the Cougar 9000.
It's the Rolls Royce of wheelchairs.
This is like ... you're almost glad to be handicapped :laugh::cry::laugh:
Up Topic General / Letters and Opinions / Seinfeld